Cold Relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Re: Cold Relationship?

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I'm all for having fun independently and being whole individuals with separate interests, but on the honeymoon - it seems a bit much.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I feel like their relationship becomes relevant only on occasion, like the author thinks, "Haven't shown affection for awhile, got to throw that in somewhere," and then forgets about it again. I think that Tom isn't all that attentive to Kelly, especially how he's so willing to put her in harm's way and use their honeymoon as this adventure to catch terrorists while Kelly is constantly worried for Tom. Not that I'm a fan of that stereotype, but you'd think he would at least say once that maybe they should let someone else handle it instead of involving his brand new wife.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

nfdoughe wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 14:49 I feel like their relationship becomes relevant only on occasion, like the author thinks, "Haven't shown affection for awhile, got to throw that in somewhere," and then forgets about it again.
LOL That's an excellent way to describe it. :D
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I thought that the relationship seemed underdeveloped, especially considering they were on their honeymoon. That being said, I felt like almost all of the characters were underdeveloped. The author seems to focus more on the fast-paced plot rather than depth of character.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I think Tom cared for Kelly, but that aspect of their relationship fell by the way-side in the story. It didn't read like a typical romance novel. The action took the forefront.
Jayballer611
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jayballer611 »

The relationship does seem odd in the beginning but to wrap everything in one everybody has the same review on it including myself
:shock:
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I honestly thought that the whole honeymoon would be revealed to be an undercover operation and that Kelly would turn out to be a cop or some kind of agent. There really was no connection between the two.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

This definitely seemed like a cold relationship to me. I just couldn’t connect with this couple. I would expect two people on their honeymoon to want to spend time together, while showing some affection towards each other.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

There were very few inferences to their being newlyweds but the author did slip one or two in! :D
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

I don't think it was cold so much as it wasn't explored as much as I thought it would be. I was under the impression that this was more of a romance but the plot did not explore their relationship as much as the title suggested. It bothered me that Tom didn't rush right back to the hotel in the beginning and it was weird that Kelly was a little more upset about her honeymoon being hijacked.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 14:28
rumik wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 16:00 I have not read much of this book but reading some of the comments here, I definitely agree it seems like a cold relationship. Can't imagine real people acting like this on their honeymoon.
Do you want tl read the book. Or after reading all the comments you are put off?
I'm planning to give it a try sometime, since it was book of the month :D Hopefully the other elements will be good enough for me to look past the cold relationship.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

This does seem strange to me. As a counter-argument to the comments saying that perhaps they like to do things independently, why would they choose to have a honeymoon in the first place if they want to just work on their own and get together later like any other day?
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Oh good I'm not the only one..I was wondering the same thing throughout!
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

It would be nice to see how the relationship was developed before they were married, as this would give the justification whether their relationship was indeed cold or not. I would understand if they've been together for like 10 years before they were married.
-rk
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

They did seem a bit off the entire time to me as well. Though maybe not cold as just not well-integrated into the story. I can't explain the honeymoon independent adventures though. Usually when I think honeymoon, I think together. I don't imagine my honeymoon being spent apart from my spouse.
And the story could probably be written without them being romantically involved and only require a few changes and we would still pretty much get the same story.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”