Was soft spot created for the Team USA?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Was soft spot created for the Team USA?

Post by maxiphemmax »

Right from the spying by Steve Spalding, to the missing handset, to being followed by Team USA to the launching site, and to many several undetected scene by the terrorist group. Do you think the author created a soft spot or quick alienation of the terrorist group by the Team USA?
For me, I think the author did. These terrorist group are quite well trained and the author was supposed to created some suspense in that direction.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the terrorists are a bit watered-down or do you mean the terrorist characters have likeable personalities?
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

Reynaa wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 08:54 I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the terrorists are a bit watered-down or do you mean the terrorist characters have likeable personalities?
What I actually meant was that, the way the author kind of created a quick win for the Team USA. The lost phone could have been tracked or their spy work be detected, yet none of these happened.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Definitely. The antagonists were quite incompetent, and the heroes scored easy wins through convenient circumstances. What sort of elite agent would leave a phone just lying around in their secret base, allowing anyone access to the computer?
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Totally agree with you. Everything seemed to fall into place too easily for Team USA. The terrorists did not come off as the smartest ones in the book. For me, this was the weakest part of the story.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

maxiphemmax wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 09:01
Reynaa wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 08:54 I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the terrorists are a bit watered-down or do you mean the terrorist characters have likeable personalities?
What I actually meant was that, the way the author kind of created a quick win for the Team USA. The lost phone could have been tracked or their spy work be detected, yet none of these happened.
Okay I see what you mean now. Yeah, I can see what you mean. Situations were a little too convenient for the storyline at times. For me, I just brushed it off as a light-hearted story.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Team USA could have stood and done nothing and the EMP attack still wouldn't have happened. Apparently even the Koreans had a soft spot for Team USA and did everything they could to prevent their own attack. It made no sense!
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree the win came a bit too easy for Team USA. The terrorist group seemed to be oblivious to anyone watching them. And the phone situation just isn't believable to me. Anyone can track their cell phone but I would think a terrorist would definitely want to know where it was and silence the one who took it! :eusa-think:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:10 Team USA could have stood and done nothing and the EMP attack still wouldn't have happened. Apparently even the Koreans had a soft spot for Team USA and did everything they could to prevent their own attack. It made no sense!
Haha, you legitimately make a good point, and this particular set of Korean nationalists had all sorts of soft spots. A successful attack was not going to transpire regardless, but root away we must for good ole Team USA :wink: chant: USA, USA...
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

Tomah wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 11:32 Definitely. The antagonists were quite incompetent, and the heroes scored easy wins through convenient circumstances. What sort of elite agent would leave a phone just lying around in their secret base, allowing anyone access to the computer?
Exactly my point
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 15:34 Totally agree with you. Everything seemed to fall into place too easily for Team USA. The terrorists did not come off as the smartest ones in the book. For me, this was the weakest part of the story.
I kept on wondering also.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:10 Team USA could have stood and done nothing and the EMP attack still wouldn't have happened. Apparently even the Koreans had a soft spot for Team USA and did everything they could to prevent their own attack. It made no sense!
Hahaha, you exactly nailed it.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

B Creech wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 18:40 I agree the win came a bit too easy for Team USA. The terrorist group seemed to be oblivious to anyone watching them. And the phone situation just isn't believable to me. Anyone can track their cell phone but I would think a terrorist would definitely want to know where it was and silence the one who took it! :eusa-think:
Exactly my point. Despite their ability to maneuver their way with the launching and the transporting of the nukes.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I think this novel has the nonsense flaw more than many I have read but do authors do this intentionally or do they just in some cases lack the knowledge they need for making something seem more intense.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 19:57
Haha, you legitimately make a good point, and this particular set of Korean nationalists had all sorts of soft spots. A successful attack was not going to transpire regardless, but root away we must for good ole Team USA :wink: chant: USA, USA...
Lol, I see your point. So if Koreans nationalists are rooting for team USA we all must do so. All kidding aside, the author obviously manipulated plotline as she thought would work. Nothing new there. Plenty of authors do that. I guess we as readers can like it or not.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”