Was soft spot created for the Team USA?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Was soft spot created for the Team USA?

Post by tanner87cbs »

Reynaa wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 15:54
maxiphemmax wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 09:01
Reynaa wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 08:54 I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the terrorists are a bit watered-down or do you mean the terrorist characters have likeable personalities?
What I actually meant was that, the way the author kind of created a quick win for the Team USA. The lost phone could have been tracked or their spy work be detected, yet none of these happened.
Okay I see what you mean now. Yeah, I can see what you mean. Situations were a little too convenient for the storyline at times. For me, I just brushed it off as a light-hearted story.
I too brushed it off as a "light-hearted story". When they seemed to have an easy win, the book kept going, for somewhat of a plot twist. Still, even the second challenge was "light-hearted" as you said above as well.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Yeah for sure.. Initially, the terrorists are scary people, so well trained that nobody can stop them. But a of a sudden a barely trained bunch of people take them down very quickly. It was all too easy.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:10 Team USA could have stood and done nothing and the EMP attack still wouldn't have happened. Apparently even the Koreans had a soft spot for Team USA and did everything they could to prevent their own attack. It made no sense!
This made my day. You are so right! Team USA didn't have to do anything to stop these terrorists. They literally stopped themselves.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

I also thought that it was a little strange that Steve wouldn't call for any backup when he knows how serious the situation is. He would rather have a bunch of civilians with no training put their lives in danger. But, wait! He is able to call for back up from Guantanamo Bay. They swoop in, take the terrorists, and then leave the warhead and payload behind.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I didn’t mind it being a soft spot because it made it a little silly and fun read. They were almost comical foes sometimes.
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

You have to connect with the main character or characters to develop a soft spot for them. I wasn't able to connect with any of the characters in this book so no, I didn't develop a soft spot for any of them.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Maybe from lack of experience of the subject and not quite enough knowledge of it
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

No, I think the author made the formation or plot fit in with Kelly and Tom being from the USA and on their Honeymoon. Kelley's brother being the senator. That it made it easier to get involved with what was happing in Honduras and Air Force Base. All the characters had ties with the senator's office.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I think the Author was too shallow minded when developing the occurrences between the terrorists and team USA. A lot of unbelievable, avoidable mistakes happened and I think it is down to the fact that the author was trying to remove himself from the complexities that come with writing books about investigations, law enforcement and security.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Yes, definitely! The terrorists were very incompetent at times and Su-jin and Dear Leader at times were comically useless even when it had been made clear that Su-jin was very high ranked and had received extensive training
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Definitely! Sue-Rhee-Jin was introduced as a very competent agent, but I felt like she was watered down. I expected her side to put up more of a struggle, but they didn't even know they were being watched. I also wondered why they didn't track the phone, but I felt it was due to them maybe not being so technologically advanced? Because even Dear Leader's team was struggling to create the bomb they needed. It was expected because they're the protagonists of the story. Therefore, they couldn't lose.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

This is a very good observation. I somehow felt the same. This the author made the whole thing seem so easy.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I agree the win came to be more easy for the USA Team.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 15:34 Totally agree with you. Everything seemed to fall into place too easily for Team USA. The terrorists did not come off as the smartest ones in the book. For me, this was the weakest part of the story.
I so much agree with you.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Yeah. The Korean team started as hardcore villains, but as soon as they enter the actual mission they started making one dumb mistake after another. It seemed like as soon as they left the Korean air they became the greatest allies of the USA.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”