Believable or Not So Believable Moments

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Believable or Not So Believable Moments

Post by Mason Garrod »

The majority of the book was quite unbelievable really. The idea that a terrorist plot of enormous proportions is just getting dealt with by a cop, his wife, and three trained associates is pretty hard to believe, as well as the fact that none of the main characters seemed to be taking the situation seriously whatsoever. I feel like if the book were supposed to be so light-hearted then the overall concept could probably have been changed, and the tone of some of the much more serious parts could have been changed to accommodate this
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Firstly, the characters who were doing the initial investigation on the island seemed too casual about a terrorist threat. Next, they seemed to achieve everything very easily without any struggle. Even towards the end, I thought there would be a lot of tension, but the terrorists were caught easily and the threat was taken care of with minimum efforts.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

amihughson wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 19:17 I feel there are so many unbelievable things, but the first thing that struck me was Kelly going to check the back of the shop (which is the catalyst for literally everything that follows). Whether she believed an employee to be out back having a smoke break or not, whether the shop is small or not, if you don't hear SOMETHING (movement, voices, etc) after yelling into the back for assistance, the typical person isn't going to go behind the counter and through a door clearly marked EMPLOYEES ONLY looking for someone.
I agree with you on this. Thanks for the comment.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I agree that things where not difficult for them.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

They are some things I found unbelievable
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Only the technology part was believable. Everything else was pretty unbelievable. Imagine a scenario where the security of an entire nation is dependent on a few people. And some of them are non-military personnel. They are dismantling a life-threatening device like playing jenga. The most unbelievable part was that the military leaders and the president find this scenario their best option!
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

I read that the individuals to carry out the terrorist attack were trained for 1 year it is very unbelievable that Rhee could fall so cheaply for such a simple question Steve asked. I would even say with the way Steve and co went about tracking the terrorist, it seemed so easy which in real sense it is not sopuse to be so.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

There were so many unbelievable scene. I think with the way the author wrote it made the tracking of the terrorist very easy especially for the fact that the security agents experienced less difficulty doing so. With Sooijn's profile i think she blew of her cove so easily.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

In the end it's just a novel but I agree with you, somethings were not realistic
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Definitely unrealistic, these things can't play out tge way they did in real life
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I did not have much problems with the security agents except that they had almost no challenge tracking down the terrorist. My problem was with the terrorist who seemed to be so scared and unprofessional. They were just acting like newbies judging form the way Soojin blew her cover with just a simple question after months of training.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Some of the actions were realistic while some were not. Part of the book felt like I was watching a movie. The book is amazing.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Erin Dydek wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:57 My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
I guess you're right! I hadn't even thought of that and took the book seriously! :doh:
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 18:28
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 17:36
Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 13:08 This is a good topic for this book.

One main thing that stood out to me as not being believable is the CIA and government in general allowing a regular cop and his wife have anything to do with the investigation.
Yes! I remember thinking at one point that this was a bit outside of his jurisdiction lol
Haha he definitely was! And his wife is allowed to be a part of the investigation because ???... all she brings is showing them initially and conveniently can get into the computer programs.
Yeah that's really weird, they're being put in danger and everything and don't leave to go back home. When they could die.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”