Strong female characters

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Oma jibrin
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: Strong female characters

Post by Oma jibrin »

Kelly seemed to be quite experienced and strong sexy in a kind of way. The world is evolving books with strong female characters are absolutely my thing.
Isn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isn.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Isn »

Compared to the other characters, I feel Sharon was strong. I liked her courage and fearlessness.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
I personally feel that if the female characters could easily have been swapped for men, then that's not any less than strong since we wouldn't define a man as less than strong in the same role. Perhaps I'm getting you wrong, but if the idea is that the women need to do something more than men to be regarded as strong characters, then that'd be putting undue pressure on women. Kelly might not have been strong. But there were strong female characters.
Last edited by Vivian Paschal on 09 Jan 2020, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
I personally feel that if the female characters could easily have been swapped for men, then that's not any less than strong since we wouldn't define a man as less than strong in the same role. Perhaps I'm getting you wrong, but if the idea is that the women need to do something more than men to be regarded as strong characters, then that'd be putting undue pressure on women. They might not all have been strong. Kelly might not have been strong. But there were strong female characters.
Ayah A
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ayah A »

I think Rhee was a strong female character and antagonist. I think the author made her character so well. Even though she is an antagonist, she is very likable and interesting.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I agree with you. Sure, they have jobs and abilities that are typically considered masculine, but I don't think any of the female characters are developed enough to really categorize her as strong. This is a shame when you have such a vast array of females personalities to be explored!
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

The book has strong female characters. The world is moving in a direction where the number of such women is growing rapidly. And that's great
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

I agree with you. This is rare book with very strong female characters taking important roles.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I have mixed feelings about this. While it is good that the book has number of female characters, I am not sure if they add to the story line.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Yes, the female characters were really well emphasized in that they were not only beautiful but also knowledgeable and wisdom and this was well exhibited by Kelly.
arielkiaira_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by arielkiaira_ »

ArielKiaira wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 18:33
I agree 100% with everything you said! Kelly's character was so wishy-washy between being a strong female character and being the weak little damsel in distress that everyone needed to care for. Agatha & Sharon were portrayed as "macho women" which is just using women in typically male roles to portray some type of female empowerment that the book doesn't have.
Don't get me started on how the author botched kelly's character....
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I agree, it was nice to read a book with characters who are not so stereotypical. My favourite type of "strong female lead" is the one that's underestimated because she's feminine, kind and apparently soft, but she has a strength and comes back to bite the antagonist with it... you know?
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

DorcasToo wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 06:58 I think the book carries quite a fair number of ladies. Starting with Kelly Turbulo who isn't just a damsel in distress. Cynthia who is a Secretary and PI, with her team of ladies who save the day. Even the enemy camp is led by a lady Sue Lynn. I think the author has created really strong female characters. What do you think?
I like Cynthia and her strength in this book series. I also found Kelly a great representation of strong women. I am a bit surprised that a country having a Supreme Leader would have a lady in power, but good for her.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 10:49 I agree, it was nice to read a book with characters who are not so stereotypical. My favourite type of "strong female lead" is the one that's underestimated because she's feminine, kind and apparently soft, but she has a strength and comes back to bite the antagonist with it... you know?
I could not have said it any better. Stereotypical characters are not only trite and overdone, they risk offending readers. Unfortunately, many authors make the same mistake over and over again.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

I agree with you, the female characters in this book are very strong and I feel like they make the book more interesting.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”