Strong female characters

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Strong female characters

Post by chelhack »

I do agree that the author does present quite a bit of strong females which is a characteristic that has kept me that much more interested in reading this book. I like how their strengths are shown in a variety unique to each of the characters. But I also like how each of these women also shows a soft side in some ways. I feel that this is something I can very much relate to.
Chelsea N. Hackett
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

N_R wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 20:32 I always think that this topic is a funny one that gets all sorts of responses. A lot of women like to have a strong female character in a story and others like to have a strong male. It does seem to be a bit generational and I am wondering if others have noticed this?
I like this topic too. Personally, for me strong heroine is someone who stands on her own and contributes to the plotline, is inspiring with her decisions. I like smart characters no matter the gender. It is a generalized discussion, I don't know different ways to have it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
I couldn't agree more! I felt like most of the female characters in this story were either incompetent or useless. They felt like token characters to me.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 14:07
amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
I couldn't agree more! I felt like most of the female characters in this story were either incompetent or useless. They felt like token characters to me.
Thinking more on it the also felt or read the same. For example, Agatha and Sharon are copy/ paste of each other. Except Sharon "relationship" with Steve.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I do feel the same the book outlined a number of strong female characters that fully impacted the plot and the flow of the story.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I find not enough books include well-thought-out strong female characters, so I appreciated how the author obviously put thought and effort into portraying his characters as such, even if they could have used slightly more polishing.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Firefawkes wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:08 I find not enough books include well-thought-out strong female characters, so I appreciated how the author obviously put thought and effort into portraying his characters as such, even if they could have used slightly more polishing.
Which one is your favorite or which one you would describe as the strong? I think that description is very subjective. I still had hard time connecting with them. You are right they needed more polishing.
Kristin Ransome

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:16
Firefawkes wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:08 I find not enough books include well-thought-out strong female characters, so I appreciated how the author obviously put thought and effort into portraying his characters as such, even if they could have used slightly more polishing.
Which one is your favorite or which one you would describe as the strong? I think that description is very subjective. I still had hard time connecting with them. You are right they needed more polishing.
I just started reading this book, but I was initially impressed with Kelly's willingness to tour and explore by herself, something that I would relate to someone who is confident in themselves and their abilities. However, I found her inner monologue to be a little unrealistic and just not something that I would normally associate with a strong characterization.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Firefawkes wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:56
I just started reading this book, but I was initially impressed with Kelly's willingness to tour and explore by herself, something that I would relate to someone who is confident in themselves and their abilities. However, I found her inner monologue to be a little unrealistic and just not something that I would normally associate with a strong characterization.
Great example. She is curious. I would say even a little bit reckless. I think for me the main issue with her was later on when I thought Tom was taking her for granted. I wished for more a backbone from her.
Happy reading for the rest of the book.
QiA
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qia.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by QiA »

When we are referring to "strong female characters" - agree that it's a very subjective criteria. Strong as in the actual writing - that these women are well-written, or strong as in they do tough stuff, they are hard as nails and they take names. I personally prefer the former, and think this book has done it justice. It also frees me from having to decide whether I "like" a particular woman in the story or not. Also happy 2020! Here's to another year of reading...that's my perennial wish, to take one year off and just read. Would be so good :techie-reference:
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think this is a tricky subject for this book because on the one hand there are female characters with important jobs but does that mean anything in the context of a strong female character? I was surprised that there were so many women, but again that doesn't mean too much if they aren't written well. I would have to say I'm somewhere in the middle on this. No one is written poorly, but no one really fits my idea of "strong female character". We don't know enough about them and then I think the male perspective undermines some of it. The way Tom treats Kelly isn't as if she's strong on her own, and then Steve uses all those pet names that make me cringe. Overall I don't think we know enough about any of the characters to find any real heroes, female or male.
Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

Misael wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 20:18 A lot of books nowadays carry strong female characters that represent women empowerment and this shows how the world changes where equality between sexes is emphasized and given due importance.
I think it depends on someone's definition of being strong. I would agree with you that in the world today, women need to be empowered and to be helped to get a sense of value in the society which many book shows what's happening and real life examples of women who broke the code of intimidation in some of the most challenging contexts such as Politics and business.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Echo Haapala wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 20:22 I couldn’t agree more! They were all strong and powerful yet remained sexy and feminine.
I like your description. I was reading through this discussion to see if this was a book I wanted to read. I like strong female characters that don't use their strength as an excuse to be nasty. That they are strong but still feminine really appeals to me. Thanks for sharing!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Kristin Ransome

AntonelaMaria wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 03:58
Firefawkes wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:56

Great example. She is curious. I would say even a little bit reckless. I think for me the main issue with her was later on when I thought Tom was taking her for granted. I wished for more a backbone from her.
Happy reading for the rest of the book.
Hmm I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the book brings for her, as well as see how the rest of the female characters are developed! Thanks :)
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by karendi jururi »

You are right! Sue Lynn, for example, makes one of the potent antagonists I have across in a long time. She is a vicious leader, determined and ambitious. I REALLY love her.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”