Threads that fizzled out (Spoiler alert!)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Threads that fizzled out (Spoiler alert!)

Post by Connie Otwani »

I couldn’t help wondering ‘what was that about’ in some sections of the plot. The author would give something a lot of attention, then just stop building on it. For example, Kelly’s ominous premonition when the team had to break into the terrorist’s shop, prepared me for something unforeseen happening. Even after their successful operation, it looked like she was getting sick or something. But no, that was the end of the matter! I wondered the same about Dr. Kinney's interview and Kim Jung Lo’s (chief scientist) sabotage and subsequent discovery.

Did you come across situations you couldn’t place in the overall plot, or was everything relevant for effective suspense-building?
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I couldn't help but wonder about Kelly. When she showed such hesitation to go into the computer lab to break into the computers, and then afterward she was having an anxiety attack or something. She sits in a chair and Sharon gets her some water and covers her with a blanket and she falls asleep while the others are gathered around the computer all involved with getting more information about the terrorists. It is like they forgot about her. I expected her to wake up needing emergency care, or screaming from dreaming about the danger of what they had done, or something! But you're right, there was nothing more about it! That one definitely fizzled out! :lire4:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Dr. Kinney's interview really bugged me. I thought there would be a follow-up, but nothing more happened. It was almost as if it was there just to inject some science trivia.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 20:49 Dr. Kinney's interview really bugged me. I thought there would be a follow-up, but nothing more happened. It was almost as if it was there just to inject some science trivia.
I would have to agree with this as well. The facts were interesting, but why?
Everything happens for a reason...
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

prepared me for something unforeseen happening
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

B Creech wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 19:10 I couldn't help but wonder about Kelly. When she showed such hesitation to go into the computer lab to break into the computers, and then afterward she was having an anxiety attack or something. She sits in a chair and Sharon gets her some water and covers her with a blanket and she falls asleep while the others are gathered around the computer all involved with getting more information about the terrorists. It is like they forgot about her. I expected her to wake up needing emergency care, or screaming from dreaming about the danger of what they had done, or something! But you're right, there was nothing more about it! That one definitely fizzled out! :lire4:
I can't agree more. I expected that she would turn out to be a victim of some biological or radiation warfare from the comp!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 20:49 Dr. Kinney's interview really bugged me. I thought there would be a follow-up, but nothing more happened. It was almost as if it was there just to inject some science trivia.
Maybe it was to just shed some light on the weapon that would be used, but I had really anticipated him joining team USA, or Tom reaching out to him.
-Walt Disney
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I read in one of these topics about this book, I can't remember which one, how someone described this book as simple and light reading. I'm leaning towards that opinion too. I think all your points have merit. But maybe we are trying to look too much into it. Maybe we expect too much from this book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Many times, I notice it is a part of the suspense to give room for another scene. It sounds that, the author wants the reader to continue the possibilities of the present scene. Like for example, the escape of Kim, it is not written in detailed, but we know he escape.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

I felt like Soojin's story arc could have been fleshed out a bit more towards the end. Details about her seemed to taper off as the investigation drew more towards the protagonists finding out more about the plans that we, the readers, were already aware of. It felt like there was supposed to be more, and it felt glossed over at the end. I was actually really interested to see it progress, a redemption subplot of sorts, much like what the chief scientist quasi-attained. At least with him, it did explain how he avoided being hunted down, listing out his logic and trepedations with some later comments about the dogs no longer being set out because of other plans in motion.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

cpru68 wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 00:25
My thoughts exactly!
I would have to agree with this as well. The facts were interesting, but why?
-Walt Disney
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 17:23 I read in one of these topics about this book, I can't remember which one, how someone described this book as simple and light reading. I'm leaning towards that opinion too. I think all your points have merit. But maybe we are trying to look too much into it. Maybe we expect too much from this book.
I was going to say exactly this. Not every book needs to have an answer for every question. And there are readers that will appreciate it just the way it is. The author probably should label it differently though, as crime and mystery fans will be disappointed. Too many dead ends that lead nowhere.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Likewise, I even thought that Dr. Kinney belongs to the team USA, which would serve as a guide to the group. I notice only the cop, remember what the Dr. said since Tom watch the episode of Dr. Kinney. However, I am satisfied with the scenario of Dr. Kinney.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Karina Nowak wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 16:53
AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 17:23 I read in one of these topics about this book, I can't remember which one, how someone described this book as simple and light reading. I'm leaning towards that opinion too. I think all your points have merit. But maybe we are trying to look too much into it. Maybe we expect too much from this book.
I was going to say exactly this. Not every book needs to have an answer for every question. And there are readers that will appreciate it just the way it is. The author probably should label it differently though, as crime and mystery fans will be disappointed. Too many dead ends that lead nowhere.
Yes, just as you said it. Plus romance readers will be disappointed with it too, as it was just too bland. So maybe we all should have lower expectations.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

The part that bothered me the most was how many of the characters we were introduced to at the beginning (and whom I found very interesting) were almost removed from the story entirely after more of Team USA were introduced. I wanted more from Dr. Kinney, the Koreans that resisted, Soujinn, another T.V. segment... It felt like the author forgot about those threads of the story.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”