Threads that fizzled out (Spoiler alert!)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Threads that fizzled out (Spoiler alert!)

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I was sure Kelly was sick, then I surmised she might be pregnant...
Maybe it's a plotline that will be developed in further novels?
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

I agree. What was the point of building up some scenes when nothing happens later? I feel like the whole character of Dr. Kinney was just to add information to the story. But, he was right at the beginning like he was going to be an important character. The character development really jumped around.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html

Post by silvafaerie »

Lunastella wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 20:42 I was sure Kelly was sick, then I surmised she might be pregnant...
That is exactly what I thought! She must be pregnant. I thought maybe it would develop more in the story. I didn't like how Tom barely noticed that she wasn't feeling well.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

Some things definitely didn't seem to be fully fleshed out, or started but never really finished. I personally think they were attempts at the start of tension or to make scenes more tense, but didn't really work with the story as a whole.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I wouldn't say that anything is relevant for suspense building unless it is followed through on. For me, plot lines fizzling out were a disappointment and actually took away from the overall drama and suspense of the story.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

silvafaerie wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 18:23
Lunastella wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 20:42 I was sure Kelly was sick, then I surmised she might be pregnant...
That is exactly what I thought! She must be pregnant. I thought maybe it would develop more in the story. I didn't like how Tom barely noticed that she wasn't feeling well.
Tom seems oblivious to much of her new bride's feelings for a good portion of the novel, sadly.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I think that there were a lot of threads that fizzled out in this book. I felt that especially when it came to the characters. She built some characters in a way that makes you think that they are here to stay and then never returns to them again. It was very disappointing.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html

Post by tsh1001 »

I thought the arrest of "Sue Lynn" and her team was lacking and pretty much everything after was lacking as well. A rushed, bland ending.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

The one that found was when Mr. lee was called to Mr.leader's office and Mr.Leader was going to kill Mr.lee after he gave what he wanted. Mr.lee had a chance to get away and never talk to Mr. Leader again, but he did not. The other one was Mr. Kim's helper it drops him off in the novel without knowing what happened to him or what he did.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

This definitely happened a fair few times. Su-jin received a lot of attention early on in the novel, which strongly suggests she will be a significant character, but then she pretty much drops off the map for the second half. We find out absolutely nothing about what happens to her after being arrested or what she was thinking or feeling. Kim's story also completely tailed off after his escape, he played a huge role in the overall story and yet we had very little resolution and found out practically nothing about him as a person
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 08:06 I couldn’t help wondering ‘what was that about’ in some sections of the plot. The author would give something a lot of attention, then just stop building on it. For example, Kelly’s ominous premonition when the team had to break into the terrorist’s shop, prepared me for something unforeseen happening. Even after their successful operation, it looked like she was getting sick or something. But no, that was the end of the matter! I wondered the same about Dr. Kinney's interview and Kim Jung Lo’s (chief scientist) sabotage and subsequent discovery.

Did you come across situations you couldn’t place in the overall plot, or was everything relevant for effective suspense-building?
I agree with you on this. I felt that many times throughout the book. It felt like the author started with something and then changed her mind about it and wrote something else. Some parts were outright confusing.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Yeah, I kept wondering what was happening to Kelly at that point. She bugged me sometimes though. Yes, that thread fizzled out. The rest of the team went on without her, and she was basically invisible after causing so much drama. I think the Dr bits were there just to provide information because I also wondered the relevance of that portion of the book, as they weren't mentioned again in the book. I can only conclude that that part was added just to provide some technological information.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 17:23 I read in one of these topics about this book, I can't remember which one, how someone described this book as simple and light reading. I'm leaning towards that opinion too. I think all your points have merit. But maybe we are trying to look too much into it. Maybe we expect too much from this book.
Exactly my thought. I just kept it simple while reading.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

The facts were very interesting.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 20:49 Dr. Kinney's interview really bugged me. I thought there would be a follow-up, but nothing more happened. It was almost as if it was there just to inject some science trivia.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”