Threads that fizzled out (Spoiler alert!)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Re: Threads that fizzled out (Spoiler alert!)

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Karina Nowak wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 16:53
AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 17:23 I read in one of these topics about this book, I can't remember which one, how someone described this book as simple and light reading. I'm leaning towards that opinion too. I think all your points have merit. But maybe we are trying to look too much into it. Maybe we expect too much from this book.
I was going to say exactly this. Not every book needs to have an answer for every question. And there are readers that will appreciate it just the way it is. The author probably should label it differently though, as crime and mystery fans will be disappointed. Too many dead ends that lead nowhere.
I disagree. A book needs to answer every question it has raised. Books are not real life. (It's one of the reasons so many of us like reading them.) If a book raises a question, the book needs to answer that question satisfactorily for the readers, or somehow make it explicit that it is not answering the question for purposes of sequel or (on philosophical matters) for the purpose of making the reader think about those questions and answer them for themselves.

Sadly, I have not been impressed with any of this author's work, and the fact that she writes these threads and then just leaves them dangling is one of the reasons.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Honestly, I do feel that many threads fizzled out. I do feel that the genre of this book didn't seem to fit very well. Mystery seems to work much better than romance does. True, there are romantic elements involved, but I felt that there was much more mystery to this book than anything else.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Danielle] wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 12:48 The part that bothered me the most was how many of the characters we were introduced to at the beginning (and whom I found very interesting) were almost removed from the story entirely after more of Team USA were introduced. I wanted more from Dr. Kinney, the Koreans that resisted, Soujinn, another T.V. segment... It felt like the author forgot about those threads of the story.
I also wonder about that, it makes the story a bit hanging. It sounds that the readers will be the one to think the possible scenario of those left behind.
I guess, some characters will be in the another series, like Cynthia and Sky.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jeremie Mondejar

Katie Canedy wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 15:23 Honestly, I do feel that many threads fizzled out. I do feel that the genre of this book didn't seem to fit very well. Mystery seems to work much better than romance does. True, there are romantic elements involved, but I felt that there was much more mystery to this book than anything else.
The book has many things to wonder because the plot of the events resulted in several closest possible genre; it can be in the Crime, Thriller, Mystery, Romance, and etc. I guess, mystery is the closest one as you notice it because the characters are not yet fully revealed.
Jeremie

Jeremie Mondejar

esp1975 wrote:
Sadly, I have not been impressed with any of this author's work, and the fact that she writes these threads and then just leaves them dangling is one of the reasons.
I thought, the books in a series will usually have the same style as this series; the left behind characters will be found in another series. Thank you for the tips.
Jeremie

Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 08:06 I couldn’t help wondering ‘what was that about’ in some sections of the plot. The author would give something a lot of attention, then just stop building on it. For example, Kelly’s ominous premonition when the team had to break into the terrorist’s shop, prepared me for something unforeseen happening. Even after their successful operation, it looked like she was getting sick or something. But no, that was the end of the matter! I wondered the same about Dr. Kinney's interview and Kim Jung Lo’s (chief scientist) sabotage and subsequent discovery.

Did you come across situations you couldn’t place in the overall plot, or was everything relevant for effective suspense-building?
The entire section with Jung Lo confused me. I didn't see the point in telling his side of the story. When he escaped, I didn't really care.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

esp1975 wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 14:53
Karina Nowak wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 16:53
AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 17:23 I read in one of these topics about this book, I can't remember which one, how someone described this book as simple and light reading. I'm leaning towards that opinion too. I think all your points have merit. But maybe we are trying to look too much into it. Maybe we expect too much from this book.
I was going to say exactly this. Not every book needs to have an answer for every question. And there are readers that will appreciate it just the way it is. The author probably should label it differently though, as crime and mystery fans will be disappointed. Too many dead ends that lead nowhere.
I disagree. A book needs to answer every question it has raised. Books are not real life. (It's one of the reasons so many of us like reading them.) If a book raises a question, the book needs to answer that question satisfactorily for the readers, or somehow make it explicit that it is not answering the question for purposes of sequel or (on philosophical matters) for the purpose of making the reader think about those questions and answer them for themselves.

I have read only two books by this author. This being the second read for me. And I don't disagree with you. I just accepted that this is a good as it gets. If I would dissect all the parts of this book I would have many questions. But for my sake, I accept that this is a simple read that I can't expect too much from. Also, I don't care all that much for these characters to read more about them in future books. Someone somewhere suggested that is what the author is doing, leaving room for future books. For me that way there will never be a complete character developed book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Danielle] wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 12:48 The part that bothered me the most was how many of the characters we were introduced to at the beginning (and whom I found very interesting) were almost removed from the story entirely after more of Team USA were introduced. I wanted more from Dr. Kinney, the Koreans that resisted, Soujinn, another T.V. segment... It felt like the author forgot about those threads of the story.
They felt very convenient for that time in the plotline. My interest was only peaked with Soo Jin. I think there was potential there for so much more.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I agree with you completely: many of us expected too much from this book. However, if we're not supposed to have high expectations for it, then a book should not be voted BOTM. The glowing reviews on this website and BOTM achievement really gave me high hopes, and those expectations were disappointed.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 14:10
I agree with you completely: many of us expected too much from this book. However, if we're not supposed to have high expectations for it, then a book should not be voted BOTM. The glowing reviews on this website and BOTM achievement really gave me high hopes, and those expectations were disappointed.
You are right. BOTM should be the best of the best. I think for me based on my previous reading experience with this author this was an okay read. Well, I hope your next read is a much better one.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think that this could almost be said for the whole story. It all ended rather simply and suddenly. Along the way I do think there were things that could have been explored more and characters that seemed unnecessary. I was confused with a few character's endings, like General Lee because it seemed so abrupt.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

B Creech wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 19:10 I couldn't help but wonder about Kelly. When she showed such hesitation to go into the computer lab to break into the computers, and then afterward she was having an anxiety attack or something. She sits in a chair and Sharon gets her some water and covers her with a blanket and she falls asleep while the others are gathered around the computer all involved with getting more information about the terrorists. It is like they forgot about her. I expected her to wake up needing emergency care, or screaming from dreaming about the danger of what they had done, or something! But you're right, there was nothing more about it! That one definitely fizzled out! :lire4:
I think Kelly's reaction was due to the fact she was just a "normal" person. The others all had more intense crime backgrounds.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kaylee123 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 14:56
B Creech wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 19:10 I couldn't help but wonder about Kelly. When she showed such hesitation to go into the computer lab to break into the computers, and then afterward she was having an anxiety attack or something. She sits in a chair and Sharon gets her some water and covers her with a blanket and she falls asleep while the others are gathered around the computer all involved with getting more information about the terrorists. It is like they forgot about her. I expected her to wake up needing emergency care, or screaming from dreaming about the danger of what they had done, or something! But you're right, there was nothing more about it! That one definitely fizzled out! :lire4:
I think Kelly's reaction was due to the fact she was just a "normal" person. The others all had more intense crime backgrounds.
That's true. I never looked at it like that.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by karendi jururi »

Sadly, I have not read the book yet! However, I understand the frustration on the reader's part when an author captivates you with a lovely story in the book them sought of leaves you hanging! I do not like that at all.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 08:06 I couldn’t help wondering ‘what was that about’ in some sections of the plot. The author would give something a lot of attention, then just stop building on it. For example, Kelly’s ominous premonition when the team had to break into the terrorist’s shop, prepared me for something unforeseen happening. Even after their successful operation, it looked like she was getting sick or something. But no, that was the end of the matter! I wondered the same about Dr. Kinney's interview and Kim Jung Lo’s (chief scientist) sabotage and subsequent discovery.

Did you come across situations you couldn’t place in the overall plot, or was everything relevant for effective suspense-building?
Yes, I agree! I was very put off by the little plot touches that "fizzled out." After grabbing onto situations and wanting to know more, I was let down by the lack even of explanation. I felt that maybe the author had all of these great ideas but wasn't sure which way to bring them together.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”