Which ship would you like to sail?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Re: Which ship would you like to sail?

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Letora wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 06:08
Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:31 There were a couple implied potential romances, primarily for the character of Steve Spalding, that may or may not bear fruit. Do any of these, such as a Soojin/Steve pairing or a Sharon/Steve pairing feel like they'd be a good, solid fit for the future? For myself, I felt Sharon and Steve had mild chemistry, but it was more the fling and fun sort of thing. With Soojin, I feel like there's another full story, there. A redemption mixed in with romance that transcends the programming that'd weighed down Soojin most of her life.
I would have enjoyed the Steve/Sharon pairing. I wish it had been given time to develop. I'm not sure I would have bought a redemption romance with Soojin unless she had more page time. I feel like we never got to really know her as a person.
I like your point, the character of Soojin is a bit likable, but the odd thing is, she works in the opposite side. Her character is perfect for a spy, but under in the wrong hands.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Letora wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 06:08
Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:31 There were a couple implied potential romances, primarily for the character of Steve Spalding, that may or may not bear fruit. Do any of these, such as a Soojin/Steve pairing or a Sharon/Steve pairing feel like they'd be a good, solid fit for the future? For myself, I felt Sharon and Steve had mild chemistry, but it was more the fling and fun sort of thing. With Soojin, I feel like there's another full story, there. A redemption mixed in with romance that transcends the programming that'd weighed down Soojin most of her life.
I would have enjoyed the Steve/Sharon pairing. I wish it had been given time to develop. I'm not sure I would have bought a redemption romance with Soojin unless she had more page time. I feel like we never got to really know her as a person.
She definitely needed more page time. For me, she sure was more interesting than the rest of them.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

diamonnd wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 15:27 I really liked the Sharon/Steve chemistry, but I agree with you that Soujin and Steve would make an interesting pair. I'd definitely like to read that story!
I wish that SoonJin and Steve were the focus of the storyline more. But then I guess the storyline would have to go in different direction. Based on this and one previous book that I have read by this author I wouldn't decide to read the book simply because she made some of the side characters the main couple because I don't think that would really go anywhere. Romance is really not the main part of the story in her books.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Danielle] wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 12:31 Steve and Sharon's interactions seemed more like a cheesy romance movie with bad pick-up lines. I wanted more development on the Soujin and Steve relationship possibility.
I don't think I would choose to read a book simply because Steve and Sharon are leading couple.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I personally would love to read a book about Steve and Sharon. At first, I found their relationship off-putting. I hated how Steve called Sharon sweetheart before he even knew her and referred to her "cute little butt." However, as the story went on I found their relationship humorous. I would love to see where they could go as a couple.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

jeminah28 wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 21:06 The pairing may differ, but it is more intense with Soujin/Steve than wih Sharon/Steve. For Sharon/Steve, we usually assume that they will have a good chemistry for they are both in the protagonist side. The suspense of Soujin/Steve is more intriguing and full of thrills because both of them thinks 'this one is an enemy'.
Yes, I agree. The pairing between Steve/Soujin felt more exciting and genuine rather than Steve and Sharon just flirting with each other.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I didn't like either of the relationships in the book. Kelly's relationship seemed like a sham where they didn't even want to spend time together.. And the Steve Sharon thing seemed a little forced. Like a relationship for the sake of bringing some drama into the book.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Good question. I don't have a ship that I particularly like because all the relationships in this book are extremely underdeveloped, but I would really like to see their development. I think it could be really interesting to see what happens now that the terror plot is off. For example, Sharon and Steve had a shared goal and a shared adventure. Now they don't. How will that affect them? Will their chemistry be maintained in the everyday life? And Soojin - now that the terror plot is off, what is she doing in life? And if she isn't a part of a terror organization anymore, and she occasionally meets Steve again, how will her interaction with him change now that she has nothing to hide? And how will she react if she learns the truth about him? I think it could be really interesting to find out the answer to all these questions.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I did not like either match. Steve was doing his job in trying to deal with Soojin. He was tasked with getting information. I also think Sharon and Steve were more of a fling than a relationship that was solid.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

jeminah28 wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 21:06 The pairing may differ, but it is more intense with Soujin/Steve than wih Sharon/Steve. For Sharon/Steve, we usually assume that they will have a good chemistry for they are both in the protagonist side. The suspense of Soujin/Steve is more intriguing and full of thrills because both of them thinks 'this one is an enemy'.
Steven and Soujin are soul mates...
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I enjoyed Steve & Sharon pairing. I think it would have been awesome if given time to develop. Their body chemistry is awesome.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I am in the middle of the book now and Sharon and Steve seem like a really compatible couple.

That being said, I would have loved more development from the “something isn’t adding up about Sue Lynn,” part of their relationship into something more forbidden. But it just seems like this book does not go too deeply into relationships.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I couldn't remember any sailing ships in the story, so I had to read some of your comments. Oh. Romances. Never even thought of that during reading it. I was reading it more as a mystery/science fiction book than romance!
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I have to admit when I saw the title of the discussion I couldn't figure out what it was about. I didn't remember any sailing ships when I read the book, but it was several books ago and maybe I wasn't remembering properly. Oh! Romances!!
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I wasnt interested in any of the pairings. Even Tom & Kelly lacked chemistry as newlyweds. I dont think Mercer really developed the characters enough for anyone to really care about them, let alone their relationships. I wish there had been more chemistry and romance between Kelly & Tom...seeing as how it WAS their honeymoon, but they just seemed like a boring old married couple.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”