The Issue about technology.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Re: The Issue about technology.

Post by CherylTegan7 »

There are always pros and cons to technology. While it can make our lives easier and be a great source of information, entertainment, and push us into the future, in the wrong hands it could be our undoing. People shouldn't be overly reliant on it and should know how to do most essential things (in a pinch) without it.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I believe in technology and I really think without it we would be lost. But others might want to use it to control the world in a way that we would not like.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Technology has its advantages and disadvantages, However, I think the disadvantages vary on the person or people using it.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

technology is as good as the people who use it. young people today don't have the social skills that we developed as kids. I believe that robots will take over the drudgery that we don't want to do and leave the more interesting jobs for humans. I look forward to the future and how technology will unfold.
nakyagaba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nakyagaba »

Technology has been brought about development in low developed countries but also eroded the moral ideas that were rooted long ago . these include the dresscode which people think moving half dressed is smartness, the children are being exposed to sexual information at early ages hence there is no respect for elders since they know the source of their living finally it led to creation of employment opportunities through accessibility to internet and innovation ideas.
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:11 I think like anything, technology can be used for good or bad. I'd like to say people are smart enough not to use it for nefarious ways, but greed, ego, jealousy, etc. will never go away. I thought the interview was a lot of filler, and it contained information that could have easily been put in elsewhere. The information also seemed to come from wiki, which isn't the most reliable source.
I agree that technology like all things has two sides to it. When used in moderation, it enhances our standard of living and has, no doubt, made our lives easier. The part about there being information that could have been used elsewhere is also something I agree on. Didn't know about wiki but if this is the case then the info should be checked against reliable sources.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
Ketbax
Currently Reading: The Amber Spyglass
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ketbax.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ketbax »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:11 I think like anything, technology can be used for good or bad. I'd like to say people are smart enough not to use it for nefarious ways, but greed, ego, jealousy, etc. will never go away. I thought the interview was a lot of filler, and it contained information that could have easily been put in elsewhere. The information also seemed to come from wiki, which isn't the most reliable source.
I 100% agree with you about the wiki sourcing! A lot of the tech seemed to be exaggerated and too simple to use. It felt a bit similar to the crime shows where the hacker spends a few seconds typing and says "I'm in!"
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Like almost everything ever invented, technology is both good and evil. How good, or how evil it depends on its utilization by mankind. Overall, I think the interview was very informative
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Abhyarna »

lucia_kizas wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 11:13 There will always be somebody who uses one or another invention for wrong purposes, but that doesn't mean that technology as such is a bad thing. Without it, we would have no modern hospitals, fewer crimes would be solved, etc. The technology as such is not evil, the people who create and use it might be, though.
True, each technology has its flaws, being aware of the possible damages would help us to use them thoughtfully.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I cannot imagine a world without technology. It has become part and parcel of our everyday life. However, there are those who use it to destroy rather than build.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
AbbeylincolnSty
Currently Reading: The Intelligence Factor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbeylincolnsty.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by AbbeylincolnSty »

Robots are here to stay whether we like it or not. Driverless cars, smart cities are also here to stay. Some jobs would be taken, but some jobs would also be created. People who can communicate with and control robots to achieve greater efficiency would win, as well as those who finance the enterprise- investors and shareholders. People who do jobs that are easily replicated and do not require creativity would be in danger.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The technology issue is getting more and more important nowadays. We highly depend on new technologies, but people start questioning the ethical limits as we see our privacy invaded.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Technology has its good and bad sides. Yes, it can be dangerous, but the level of danger that was discussed by Dr.Peter, that is, the shutting down of a whole country through a technological blackout, would be noticed before it actually happens in today's world. I'm not even sure such a thing can be pulled off.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

For sure technology has been a blessing to mankind. BUT this same technology can be use positively and negatively or for some selfish reason. Technology made life better and i refuse to argue to contest that fact.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Technology is really a good thing but its based on what people use it for.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”