The Issue about technology.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

The Issue about technology.

Post by Nerea »

Technology has been a blessing to us all. But based on the sentiments shared in the interview between Henry and Dr. Peter it sounds like we have been exposed to danger. Do you think Dr. Peter's ideas about the dangers of technology might be a reality today? Or what's your take about the interview?
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Overall the technology is a blessing but also a curse. The future of it seems scary. I think I am scared the most of losing our humanity. Being so out of touch with real-life & people. And robots I am definitely scared of them :lol: All kidding aside I liked the interview. It was very informative. It is true how depended we have become of technology, Nowadays wherever you go usually the first question people have is what is wi fi code? God forbid there is none. And that is just minimal damage. I am not sure how would we survive solar flare.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I think like anything, technology can be used for good or bad. I'd like to say people are smart enough not to use it for nefarious ways, but greed, ego, jealousy, etc. will never go away. I thought the interview was a lot of filler, and it contained information that could have easily been put in elsewhere. The information also seemed to come from wiki, which isn't the most reliable source.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

There will always be somebody who uses one or another invention for wrong purposes, but that doesn't mean that technology as such is a bad thing. Without it, we would have no modern hospitals, fewer crimes would be solved, etc. The technology as such is not evil, the people who create and use it might be, though.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 09:57 Overall the technology is a blessing but also a curse. The future of it seems scary. I think I am scared the most of losing our humanity. Being so out of touch with real-life & people. And robots I am definitely scared of them :lol: All kidding aside I liked the interview. It was very informative. It is true how depended we have become of technology, Nowadays wherever you go usually the first question people have is what is wi fi code? God forbid there is none. And that is just minimal damage. I am not sure how would we survive solar flare.
I totally agree with you. Technology has made us slaves. We will all suffer severely when it's taken away from us.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

lucia_kizas wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 11:13 There will always be somebody who uses one or another invention for wrong purposes, but that doesn't mean that technology as such is a bad thing. Without it, we would have no modern hospitals, fewer crimes would be solved, etc. The technology as such is not evil, the people who create and use it might be, though.
Wow. "Technology is not evil, but people who created and use." That makes sense.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:11 I think like anything, technology can be used for good or bad. I'd like to say people are smart enough not to use it for nefarious ways, but greed, ego, jealousy, etc. will never go away. I thought the interview was a lot of filler, and it contained information that could have easily been put in elsewhere. The information also seemed to come from wiki, which isn't the most reliable source.
Ooh, I see. I didn't realize the information could have been borrowed from the source you mentioned. I like your input.
No Wahala
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 23:33
AntonelaMaria wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 09:57 Overall the technology is a blessing but also a curse. The future of it seems scary. I think I am scared the most of losing our humanity. Being so out of touch with real-life & people. And robots I am definitely scared of them :lol: All kidding aside I liked the interview. It was very informative. It is true how depended we have become of technology, Nowadays wherever you go usually the first question people have is what is wi fi code? God forbid there is none. And that is just minimal damage. I am not sure how would we survive solar flare.
I totally agree with you. Technology has made us slaves. We will all suffer severely when it's taken away from us.
I think I watched way too many doomsday movies and they all are scary to me. But more I read about technology it seems we are getting there.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 06:19
I think I watched way too many doomsday movies and they all are scary to me. But more I read about technology it seems we are getting there.
True. But I hope the effects won't be catastrophic.
No Wahala
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 08:06
AntonelaMaria wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 06:19

True. But I hope the effects won't be catastrophic.
For me, the scariest thing is AI technology and the way they are replacing humans. Sure, there is a lot of good that they brought but still, the way things are going is scary. Hope for the best. What else there is to do.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Nerea wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 05:32 Technology has been a blessing to us all. But based on the sentiments shared in the interview between Henry and Dr. Peter it sounds like we have been exposed to danger. Do you think Dr. Peter's ideas about the dangers of technology might be a reality today? Or what's your take about the interview?
I felt like it was strange that Dr. Peter shared these views in the first place. Does it seem believable that a Ph.D. scientist would be so wary about modern technology?
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 14:11
Nerea wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 05:32 Technology has been a blessing to us all. But based on the sentiments shared in the interview between Henry and Dr. Peter it sounds like we have been exposed to danger. Do you think Dr. Peter's ideas about the dangers of technology might be a reality today? Or what's your take about the interview?
I felt like it was strange that Dr. Peter shared these views in the first place. Does it seem believable that a Ph.D. scientist would be so wary about modern technology?
I ain't sure, but he sounded convincing.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 14:11
Your review has given me a second thought. Maybe the author didn't do a thorough research to provide the readers with authentic facts regarding technology. Could be he rushed to publish the book before confirming the integrity of his writing.
No Wahala
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think we have other things to worry about than technology being taken away from us or rising up against us. I don't think it's that realistic. Plus I think human beings are more resilient than all that sci-fi stuff makes it seem. I think the world could manage without technology if we had to.
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by karendi jururi »

The content and effect of the interview really depend on the school of thought you come from. For example, when some view robots as the perfect tool for human annihilation, others see it as the ultimate redemption of mankind.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”