The Issue about technology.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Re: The Issue about technology.

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Technology is definitely a blessing and a curse. Like everything in life, it’s about balance 🧘‍♀️ On a larger scale however, it is definitely scary to reflect on the potentially dangerous ways in which it can be used.
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

This question couldn't come at a better time. I had a hard time believing that Dr. Peter's lecture was fiction. It's scary how close we are to war right now and this book reflects that. It was published in 2018 and is a thinly-veiled exploration of issues we had with North Korea, rather than Iran but its still relevant.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Technology has its perks, but people have become heavily reliant on it. I do fear for the future.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

The aim of technology is to help man but the aim of man is to use it for destruction. It is the man that is using technology negatively if not the origin of technology is to help man live a better life of ease.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I think that technology has brought much good to the world, but we messed it up at some point. Technology freed us from a lot of problems, tragedies, sicknesses, and miseries that were unavoidable in the past. However, at some point we started to focus more on how to make our life easier than on how to make it better, and we forgot that easier and better do not always mean the same. We started to use technology to replace some of our human skills and interactions and became too dependent on it.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

That was the moment in the book that really resonated with me. It sounds so plausible and we are so focused on technology in every aspect of our lives that it made me think well after the story was done. If our power grid were destroyed it makes you think much of our world would come to a stand still.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

lucia_kizas wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 11:13 There will always be somebody who uses one or another invention for wrong purposes, but that doesn't mean that technology as such is a bad thing. Without it, we would have no modern hospitals, fewer crimes would be solved, etc. The technology as such is not evil, the people who create and use it might be, though.
That's a good point. Technology has done a lot to help improve people's lives. It's a shame people use technology to hurt rather than help.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Technology has always been a reality of humanity ever since the start of civilization (and probably even before that). I do agree with others that technology can be either used for good or evil, but I think that there is not much we can do on how technology evolves.
-rk
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

lucia_kizas wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 11:13 There will always be somebody who uses one or another invention for wrong purposes, but that doesn't mean that technology as such is a bad thing. Without it, we would have no modern hospitals, fewer crimes would be solved, etc. The technology as such is not evil, the people who create and use it might be, though.
I doubt that there's a better way to put it than this. I totally agree with you because if the world had only people who want only good, there would definitely be no mention of bad technology.
Ketbax
Currently Reading: The Amber Spyglass
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ketbax.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ketbax »

Every new invention has its pros and cons. I think the extremity with Peter describes this danger with is purely for plot development, but there are many stories about hacking, public shaming over the internet, etc. The interview was a bit extreme (and very conveniently timed for the story line!), but every person using the internet should take precautions to secure their information!
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

Everything has good and bad..so am of a thought technology is too.be it the robots or anything else..and I don't think anyone is justified to be overly worried..
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think that indeed there are some dangers to technology, as we have already seen people being addicted to smartphones, or using technology to hack into private accounts and steal money.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:

I think that technology can also be used for good, as it can help disabled people, or even help in medicine. Technology can be both good and bad, it depends on the use.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:

amandathebibliophile wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 19:20 Technology is definitely a blessing and a curse. Like everything in life, it’s about balance 🧘‍♀️ On a larger scale however, it is definitely scary to reflect on the potentially dangerous ways in which it can be used.
Yes, I absolutely agree with you on that. It is about balance and technology can be used for terrible purposes, such as in nuclear weapons.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Nerea wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 05:32 Technology has been a blessing to us all. But based on the sentiments shared in the interview between Henry and Dr. Peter it sounds like we have been exposed to danger. Do you think Dr. Peter's ideas about the dangers of technology might be a reality today? Or what's your take about the interview?
I think that there is always danger with technology. I think Dr. Peter's ideas were valid on many counts. I worked on some information several years ago that discussed the dangers of an EMP on the electric grid. It was an interesting task with many different viewpoints. I have to say I really didn't like the interview or many of the dialogues in this book series.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”