The Issue about technology.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Glitter52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitter52.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Re: The Issue about technology.

Post by Glitter52 »

I agree with Dr. Peter. It's way to easy for a foreign power to come in, sabotage and hack into your technology, and isolate your country. Through your new weakness, this power can force you to make a deal that could end up catastrophic for both you and your entire country. Depending too much on technology can put a dangerous weapon into your enemies' hands.
Kaitlyn2020
Currently Reading: Three Dark Crowns
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kaitlyn2020 »

I feel like technology can be a good thing and a bad thing. It all depends on how the person uses it. It is amazing because we have all this advancement in medicine and other areas because of the new technology that has come out. I also feel like it can be pretty scary when people use technology for evil, like those who use it to commit crimes.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Technology is just like anything else, I think. It's just a tool for us to use. Whether it's good or evil depends on how we wield it. And technology itself is broad, unlike just nuclear weapon or security cameras.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

Advancement in technology is both a blessing and a danger. As much as we are advanced and more exposed, it also creates an opportunity for mass destruction and many vices.
Crazycutie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazycutie.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Crazycutie »

I also wondered about this as well and simply asked my husband if he had ever heard of E M P's. He said he had, so I do think the possibility is there. I have heard about the power grids before as well. They really are connected more than we think and if the right place was hit the whole continent would lose power, this could kill thousands of people, even if it was only out for a couple of days.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

A great deal of emphasis was exacted on the possible dangers of technology, but we still have to go on. I was also touched, while reading that bit despite the dangers that is our life. It shall always be like that, the good and bad. This is all thanks to 'competition'.
QueenShorty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenshorty.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by QueenShorty »

As a person in the Computer Science field, I believe are not currently in danger. I do solely believe we could get there. I do have to admit I am one of those people that wants a complete set up a smart home. We have the smart mind capable of creating such technology and I can't wait for it.
YoshaP
Currently Reading: White Blood
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoshap.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by YoshaP »

The content of the interview, in my opinion, was a little paranoid and premature where today's technology is concerned. As with anything, technology used for wrong is always a possibility but it is only natural that the great benefits that technology has bestowed upon us will come with an equally great capacity for disaster in the wrong hands.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Technology is definitely enslaving us. We are headed into a future (and even a present) where people are more in touch with technology than we are with each other. We text more than we meet and we have taken all interactions online. I agree.
MA
xxqueenforadayxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxqueenforadayxx.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B07PS7Y8SX

Post by xxqueenforadayxx »

I think technology is more useful then harmful. News and research updated automatically, you can find help instantly on pretty much anything, and even helps people reach out in ways they physically can't
If life ain't just a joke, then why am I laughing?
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I think people are more dangerous than technology. They allow emotions to cloud judgment, and power is corrupting. Total power corrupts totally.
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

Technology is great, but only when you are smarter than it. If you have seen I-Robot then you know what I mean. I would never want anything designed that can think for itself or be a danger to society. People are already testing ideas that will in turn come back to bite us in the ass.
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

Anything that runs by electricity would be taken down. By technology, I am not sure if you mean the use of technology to create an EMP or if an EMP would take out all of our technology. An EMP would take out more than just our technology. Anything that runs by electricity (everything from cars, heating, to cell phones) would be shut down.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I think that if we were to lose technology, we would just have to rebuild from the ashes... we would be lucky enough to know historically what worked and how, and would Not have to start from square one. It would be very difficult and would take many many years but humans are resilient and adaptable. Mostly. ;)
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

I have mixed feelings about technology. Sure, we need the internet to work during 2020. We would all be lost if everything went back to pens and paper. But, I feel we've lost that key ingredient....personalization. In modern days we've become a number or a code. It seems cold and distant. Could we even make normal conversation for 8 hrs.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”