Did you think there were too many characters?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Did you think there were too many characters?

Post by tanner87cbs »

There were more characters than normal in the book yes, I do not think it was too many though. If the transitions in the scenes were not as well defined as they were my opinion would be different. The book was not titled well, I fully agree with that. However, the book read like a screenplay to me, and this made it not seem like too many.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:20 It seemed like the further along I read into E-M-P Honeymoon, the more characters were introduced. I thought the main characters would be Tom and Kelly, but they seemed to fade into being secondary characters as the story progressed. In fact, I'm not really sure who the main character was because there were too many. I couldn't really attach myself to any one person because there wasn't enough information on any of them. Did you think there were too many characters?
I think the main characters, Tom & Kelly, seemed to fade into the background and Steve pressed forward as the main character.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I found a hard time keeping track initially, but after a while as we were given more information about each character, it got easier. I think so many characters were necessary for the plot.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

jeminah28 wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 03:43
    B Creech wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 19:52 There were definitely quite a few characters! Too many? I don't think there were too many; I think the author did not focus on the right ones. The title is "EMP Honeymoon" and it is about Tom and Kelly yet they ended up seeming like secondary characters to me. Seems to me Steve had more of a primary role than the rest, at least until the last few chapters. Good question, thanks!
    When Steve's character was introduced, I enjoyed his humor and my attention draw to him than in the couple. I notice that Steve's character is quite likable.
    I do admit Steve was my favorite character! his personality was th best out of all of them. I wish we had seen him more often.
    "Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
    Isn
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 19
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isn.html
    Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Isn »

No, I don't think so. Even though there was an incomplete feeling at some points, in regard to a few characters; still each character had a specific role to play.
    raikyuu
    Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 95
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
    Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

There were indeed a lot of characters. But personally, I kind of like that such is the case. It gives the story more variety and color.
    -rk
    jahagen
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 52
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
    Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

There were definitely a whole lot of characters, but fortunately they were still pretty easy to keep distinguished from one another. The main problem with having so many of them is that it's hard to develop and fully flesh out any of them when so many are all in the main focus. And, it did certainly make Tom and Kelly lose their place in the spotlight when I did think the story was going to mainly focus on them.
    Liana Mayhew
    Favorite Book: The Orb
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 120
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
    Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I don't think there were too many characters, however I do believe that as the main characters, Tom and Kelly should have the focus more.
    IfeomaD
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 218
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
    Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

If I remember correctly, I think the author added way too many characters that Tom and Kelly gradually faded into minor characters. I think the title didn't really suite the story though.
    We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight
    IfeomaD
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 218
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
    Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

Letora wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 05:42
      jeminah28 wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 03:43
      B Creech wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 19:52 There were definitely quite a few characters! Too many? I don't think there were too many; I think the author did not focus on the right ones. The title is "EMP Honeymoon" and it is about Tom and Kelly yet they ended up seeming like secondary characters to me. Seems to me Steve had more of a primary role than the rest, at least until the last few chapters. Good question, thanks!
      When Steve's character was introduced, I enjoyed his humor and my attention draw to him than in the couple. I notice that Steve's character is quite likable.
      I do admit Steve was my favorite character! his personality was th best out of all of them. I wish we had seen him more often.
      Totally agree with you on that. I loved Steve's personality above all the others
      We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight
      Letora
      Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
      Currently Reading: the air between
      Bookshelf Size: 251
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
      Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

LianaMayhew wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 11:58 I don't think there were too many characters, however I do believe that as the main characters, Tom and Kelly should have the focus more.
      I agree that Tom and Kelly should have been focused on more. It's odd how their names were on the book cover, yet they didn't have a large part.
      "Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
      Oliver_books
      Currently Reading:
      Bookshelf Size: 34
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
      Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

Not that much! It was easy to keep everyone straight. Also, I appreciate that there are a lot of ethnicities, diversity, and backgrounds among the characters, and each one has an unique personality quirk that brings life to the story.
      Adina Lutinger
      In It Together VIP
      Currently Reading:
      Bookshelf Size: 29
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
      Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I liked the many perapectives, but I think that the charactor development came out as a total mess. The author built some characters in an interest-provoking way that made the impression that they are here to stay and then never returned to them again, and on the other hand the characters that did make a continous appearance in the book were very flat and unconvincing. It felt to me as if the author herself got lost between the characters.
      SHALLU RAWAL
      Currently Reading:
      Bookshelf Size: 27
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
      Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

I like the story that don't have too many characters. Because it confuse me a lot. But, sometimes I get used to them if the story is well explained and the characters have very different personalities.
      Inkroverts
      Currently Reading: The Book Thief
      Bookshelf Size: 67
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
      Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think as long as the author has characters in mind that they want to focus on, it's okay to have many characters at the side.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”