Did you think there were too many characters?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Did you think there were too many characters?

Post by Letora »

It seemed like the further along I read into E-M-P Honeymoon, the more characters were introduced. I thought the main characters would be Tom and Kelly, but they seemed to fade into being secondary characters as the story progressed. In fact, I'm not really sure who the main character was because there were too many. I couldn't really attach myself to any one person because there wasn't enough information on any of them. Did you think there were too many characters?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

There were definitely quite a few characters! Too many? I don't think there were too many; I think the author did not focus on the right ones. The title is "EMP Honeymoon" and it is about Tom and Kelly yet they ended up seeming like secondary characters to me. Seems to me Steve had more of a primary role than the rest, at least until the last few chapters. Good question, thanks!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:20 It seemed like the further along I read into E-M-P Honeymoon, the more characters were introduced. I thought the main characters would be Tom and Kelly, but they seemed to fade into being secondary characters as the story progressed. In fact, I'm not really sure who the main character was because there were too many. I couldn't really attach myself to any one person because there wasn't enough information on any of them. Did you think there were too many characters?
Yeah, me too. Your question is thought-provoking, and I agree. As far as I can remember, each character shares evenly in the story, instead, Tom and Kelly must be the highlights, but as the story progressed, the couple seems not the main target.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jeremie Mondejar

B Creech wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 19:52 There were definitely quite a few characters! Too many? I don't think there were too many; I think the author did not focus on the right ones. The title is "EMP Honeymoon" and it is about Tom and Kelly yet they ended up seeming like secondary characters to me. Seems to me Steve had more of a primary role than the rest, at least until the last few chapters. Good question, thanks!
When Steve's character was introduced, I enjoyed his humor and my attention draw to him than in the couple. I notice that Steve's character is quite likable.
Jeremie

AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't think there were too many characters in the story. They all seem very underdeveloped or maybe that was the intention of the author to stay surface level with them all.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 19:52 There were definitely quite a few characters! Too many? I don't think there were too many; I think the author did not focus on the right ones. The title is "EMP Honeymoon" and it is about Tom and Kelly yet they ended up seeming like secondary characters to me. Seems to me Steve had more of a primary role than the rest, at least until the last few chapters. Good question, thanks!
You are right. The book is called after them; Tom & Kelly and yet they were very minor characters especially later on when all the other characters were introduced.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Ah that's a good point! I didn't even think about how they fell into the background. I agree that if there were more attnetion on the characters it would have been better. Thank you for commenting!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
1deannajv
Currently Reading: The Human Brain Book
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1deannajv.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by 1deannajv »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:20 It seemed like the further along I read into E-M-P Honeymoon, the more characters were introduced. I thought the main characters would be Tom and Kelly, but they seemed to fade into being secondary characters as the story progressed. In fact, I'm not really sure who the main character was because there were too many. I couldn't really attach myself to any one person because there wasn't enough information on any of them. Did you think there were too many characters?

Yes there were too many characters. I also thought Tom and Kelly would be main characters. I feel like the title is misleading because it's easy to infer that the honeymooners will be the main characters. They did start the events leading to the terrorists plan foiled. So maybe that's why it's titled EMP honeymoon? But I'm unsure who the main characters are. Maybe we're supposed to look at the larger picture and the U.S is the protagonist while North Korea is the antagonist.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 03:49
You are right. The book is called after them; Tom & Kelly and yet they were very minor characters especially later on when all the other characters were introduced.
Exactly!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

1deannajv wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 14:10

Yes there were too many characters. I also thought Tom and Kelly would be main characters. I feel like the title is misleading because it's easy to infer that the honeymooners will be the main characters. They did start the events leading to the terrorists plan foiled. So maybe that's why it's titled EMP honeymoon? But I'm unsure who the main characters are. Maybe we're supposed to look at the larger picture and the U.S is the protagonist while North Korea is the antagonist.
That's a great thought!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

jeminah28 wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 03:43
When Steve's character was introduced, I enjoyed his humor and my attention draw to him than in the couple. I notice that Steve's character is quite likable.
I liked Steve too. After he was introduced the focus was more on him than the rest of the American team.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

I liked Steve too. Once his character was introduced it was easy for me to forget it was Tom and Kelly's honeymoon!
B. Creech
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 18:17
AntonelaMaria wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 03:49
Exactly!
Maybe that is the authors thing. I know I read one other book by her and there too was the title a bit off.
Jeremie Mondejar

:idea2:
B Creech wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 18:20
I liked Steve too. After he was introduced the focus was more on him than the rest of the American team.
Steve's character becomes more likable because of his spying-moves to Ms. Soujin, like flirting a little bit. When he also takes a secret photo of Kelly, it makes me tense a bit and say, "Oh, this guy is another threat to the couple, too." I guess, his swift-actions overrun the main characters.
Jeremie

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

jeminah28 wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 02:50 :idea2:
B Creech wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 18:20

Steve's character becomes more likable because of his spying-moves to Ms. Soujin, like flirting a little bit. When he also takes a secret photo of Kelly, it makes me tense a bit and say, "Oh, this guy is another threat to the couple, too." I guess, his swift-actions overrun the main characters.
I liked Steve because I only took him seriously between all the other team members. The only thing I didn't understand is that Tom had more resources and intel than him. It seems unlikely for an agent.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”