Favorite Man Mission Rules.

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Favorite Man Mission Rules.

Post by Rayasaurus »

I think "go beyond your limits" is inspiring, personally.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

HeatherEi wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 15:08 I like "Go beyond your limits" especially when it comes to hiking myself. I've definitely been in situations where I have had to push myself. Even though it was tough, looking back, I can say "I did that!"
Absolutely! "Go beyond your limits" is definitely one I tell myself a lot. It really helps me push through, but it also gets me through the most mundane tasks in daily tasks. I use it like a "Keep going" mantra.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I've always found the "don't be like a girl" things to be both sexist and untrue. Girls have plenty of strength and ability. What are we telling boys about girls when being "like a girl" is an insult?
The pink bracelet bit was fitting for the dudebro camaraderie in the story. However, in real life, "playing through the pain" tends to lead to lasting problems, and it isn't only guys who do it. I ignored numbness and tingling in the fingers of my left hand and kept working a job with a lot of heavy lifting for months until one day I woke up with my left arm in tremendous pain. I didn't have insurance and had to quit my job and wait a month until I could get Medicaid and get physical therapy. The pain was so bad that I considered committing suicide. It took a long time for the arm to become anywhere close to normal again. It still isn't entirely normal, and I still have to be careful with it so I don't exacerbate the injury that I allowed to become as bad as it did by "trying not to whine" and "playing through the pain."
Last time I checked, I was a woman. This bad idea isn't reserved for men, although for some inane reason society pats them on the back for it.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Jaynova wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 11:12 I love when it was said “he that whines loudest wears the pink bracelet” in other words females are ones that should be whining and not the man! They need to step up and be stronger or they’re going to look like a little girl as they whine. :techie-studyingbrown:
I have been around boys and men (sons, brothers, etc) all my life and this is so true! There were a few unflattering other comments that men would say to other men in the military to "encourage" them to stop being so sensitive.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:49 I find the Man mission Rules funny and thrilling too. One of my favorite rule is "He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet." :lol:
What's your favorite Man Mission Rule? Let's share.
This rule alludes to "gays" who would be whining a lot from any discomfort met in the field. Women may also be vocal about the discomfiture, but they would not generally be drawn to "pink" as I have noticed.

The humor of this book screams even right at the title, Man Mission, which seems to be a meme for "Moon Mission" as what my eyes seem to catch instead every time I look.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

Rule #6- Bathing optional. I think this is hilarious because if anyone needs to bathe, it’s men hiking. I would hate to be the person at the end of the line with the wind blowing the wrong way 😂
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I also found myself laughing at the pink bracelet rule! I thought that they often didn't follow that rule tho because the main character often got the pink bracelet for when he made a fool.of himself even if he didn't whine.

The rule that shower was optional was also funny. Only men would make that kind of a rule
gschauer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gschauer.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by gschauer »

My favorite Man Mission Rule is rule 4; travel under your own power. This rules gets them in some situations that are grueling. For example, when they are in New Zealand, biking up the hill, totally worn out, two of the four take a ride from someone else to their destination for the day. The other two tough it out. I can image their muscles were screaming at them at the end of the day, and yet they keep going. That sounds just like men - never give up. They definitely have the grit needed for these Man Missions.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I love rule #6. Bathing optional. It's just such a 'manly' rule. It reminds me of the men that go for week-long hunting trips and don't shower for the entire time. I guess they really do rough it. It's so funny to me.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Mine has to be #9, "To go al fresco is to touch the face of God". I'm Italian and we use going al fresco as a way to say going to prison, so at first I was very confused reading it :lol2: But a quick search on Urban Dictionary informed me that going al fresco means either dining in the outdoors or wearing no underwear, and I found it hilarious :D
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

I go for "Go Beyond Your Limits" because it's the one that expresses their willingness to push themselves.
Ciao :)
Massimo
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

espo wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 07:05 Mine has to be #9, "To go al fresco is to touch the face of God". I'm Italian and we use going al fresco as a way to say going to prison, so at first I was very confused reading it :lol2:
I know what you mean. :mrgreen: Funny how an expression is used in another language with a totally different meaning.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 09:24
espo wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 07:05 Mine has to be #9, "To go al fresco is to touch the face of God". I'm Italian and we use going al fresco as a way to say going to prison, so at first I was very confused reading it :lol2:
I know what you mean. :mrgreen: Funny how an expression is used in another language with a totally different meaning.
True that, Massimo! Good to find a fellow Italian on here too :D
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Rayasaurus wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 14:05 I think "go beyond your limits" is inspiring, personally.
Sure thing.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Oh yes "he who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet." That was my favorite Man Mission rule and the fact it had to worn until it was passed on brilliant.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”