What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Re: What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Post by diamonnd »

sevillagirl18 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 21:44 I loved it! I especially loved how clear it was when the time was switching...I've definitely read books that have made it much more confusing. But I honestly really enjoyed learning about the major events in the characters' lives that happened in between man missions, and I thought it was a nice break from some of the long descriptions of the man mission locales.
Exactly! You said it perfectly. The domestic events helped build a lot of character development and gave them more depth. I also liked how they would sometimes sort of connect to things happening in the man missions. It made it a lot of fun to read.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

diamonnd wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 15:26 I also liked how they would sometimes sort of connect to things happening in the man missions. It made it a lot of fun to read.
He was really good at using the flashbacks as almost a form of foreshadowing, wasn't he? I remember when I got to the part where he and his wife were fighting more and more, I cringed: "No! Don't fight! Work it out. I don't want to read you got a divorce!"
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

This style of writing is a way to do away with the monotony of settings and scenes. It makes a reader on their toes so as not to get lost when reading the story.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 15:35 This style of writing is a way to do away with the monotony of settings and scenes. It makes a reader on their toes so as not to get lost when reading the story.
Very true! Keeps the interest level up, doesn't it?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

unamilagra wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 18:46 I loved the flashbacks. I think that sometimes when authors try to write that way it becomes very choppy or confusing, but I think his transitions were very smooth and also made me more interested in both storylines. I feel like it would have been much more boring if they had been separated out.
I love some good flashback scenes too, especially when clearly and concisely executed! Sometimes it even involves changing narrative perspectives in a unique way, but the transitions in this one were quite smooth indeed.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:39 I love some good flashback scenes too, especially when clearly and concisely executed! Sometimes it even involves changing narrative perspectives in a unique way, but the transitions in this one were quite smooth indeed.
Yes, that is one of the elements that really impressed me about this book. The flashbacks were woven in with such adeptness, I never "lost" the storyline of either the flashback or the latest man mission. Both worked seamlessly to increase the anticipation for wanting to read more about the other.
Laura Lee

HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 01:39
unamilagra wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 18:46 I loved the flashbacks. I think that sometimes when authors try to write that way it becomes very choppy or confusing, but I think his transitions were very smooth and also made me more interested in both storylines. I feel like it would have been much more boring if they had been separated out.
I love some good flashback scenes too, especially when clearly and concisely executed! Sometimes it even involves changing narrative perspectives in a unique way, but the transitions in this one were quite smooth indeed.
I agree! The flashback scenes in this book were very well done. I never felt confused as to whether I was reading about present-day or the past. It also felt like I was reading the protagonists thoughts and often they aren't in chronological order.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 11:07
I agree! The flashback scenes in this book were very well done. I never felt confused as to whether I was reading about present-day or the past. It also felt like I was reading the protagonists thoughts and often they aren't in chronological order.
The narration in the first person helps to create that feeling. Clearly that was the author's intent.
Ciao :)
Massimo
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Yes, I agree. I often get lost and confused with a broken timeline. But he did it well by adding time markers and orientation hints. It worked well.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I thought it gave a lot of richness and detail to the story. I liked the technique.
Sugarlump54
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarlump54.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sugarlump54 »

I loved the flashbacks and agree the author did that very well. I think the events of the trip correlated to their real life events. Like getting stuck in a whirlpool and the monotony he was fighting in his life... Climbing the ice and seeing a beautiful view is like climbing out of the depression of the divorce and seeing the future...I don’t know...maybe I read too much into it.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Sugarlump54 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 18:41 I loved the flashbacks and agree the author did that very well. I think the events of the trip correlated to their real life events. Like getting stuck in a whirlpool and the monotony he was fighting in his life... Climbing the ice and seeing a beautiful view is like climbing out of the depression of the divorce and seeing the future...I don’t know...maybe I read too much into it.
Oooo. Wow. Yes. Now that you've pointed it out, I can see that. Very insightful. Thank you!
Laura Lee

Vin Doobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vin-doobs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Vin Doobs »

Switching between the present and the past is fine, as long as the writer manages to execute it effectively. This author succeeds in shifting effectively, and it does not confuse the reader.
Radhika_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Radhika_ »

The author did a great job while switching between the past and present. Some of the things connect on the past with the present. It's a difficult take but he did it very well.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

Laura Lee wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 06:51
KitabuKizuri wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 01:43 I think the flashbacks also made the characters more relatable, showing how their relationships built up over the years as well as showing the effects of having family support (or lack of which) and strong friendship bonds, among other themes.
That's a really good point. We wouldn't have felt the same connection to the characters without the rich back story the flashbacks provided. Thanks for sharing!
I agree the author did an excellent job in using the flashbacks to explore and flesh out the characters.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”