Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2020 Book of the month, Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey, by Eytan Uliel.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I will rate the book after I'm done reading the book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I, too, wondered the same thing about the main protagonist's lack of a name. Before posting on the discussion board, I ensured that I had all of my notes on this book, but there was nothing to identify the main character. I wonder why the author chose to do this?

I am thoroughly enjoying this book; it has everything: action, friendship and subtle funny moments. I love the whole concept of taking a yearly adventure--not all of us are afforded the luxury of taking a week off from our lives--and it is in these adventurers that the men learn things about themselves that they never knew. The writing flowed smoothly, and the characters were quite entertaining, especially when giving each other a hard time.

I am about halfway through the book and I honestly have nothing negative to say! I think this is my favorite Book of the Month that I have read thus far.

I give it 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to readers who enjoy fast-paced books that have an element of adventure and boast well-developed characters!
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 08:05 I, too, wondered the same thing about the main protagonist's lack of a name. Before posting on the discussion board, I ensured that I had all of my notes on this book, but there was nothing to identify the main character. I wonder why the author chose to do this?

I am thoroughly enjoying this book; it has everything: action, friendship and subtle funny moments. I love the whole concept of taking a yearly adventure--not all of us are afforded the luxury of taking a week off from our lives--and it is in these adventurers that the men learn things about themselves that they never knew. The writing flowed smoothly, and the characters were quite entertaining, especially when giving each other a hard time.

I am about halfway through the book and I honestly have nothing negative to say! I think this is my favorite Book of the Month that I have read thus far.

I give it 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to readers who enjoy fast-paced books that have an element of adventure and boast well-developed characters!
I'm so intrigued after reading your thoughts on this book! I've found the last several book BOTMs lacking, so I'm excited to get going on this one. Please update when you've finished to let me know if you've found a good reason for keeping the protagonist unnamed.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

gali wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 00:17 This is a discussion topic for the January 2020 Book of the month, Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey, by Eytan Uliel.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
I am just getting started on the book, but the title itself is interesting. It sounds like an adventure. I am sure there is a lot on brotherhood as well. I will let you know my thoughts as I progress.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I have only read a small portion of the book so far, but what I have read is not disappointing! I can't rate the book yet but I will update my response after I finish. This one will be interesting to discuss with everyone! I am looking forward to reading everyone's comments! :lire4:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

This isn't something I would normally read, but reading about a mans viewpoint through these kinds of adventures sounds very interesting.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I think the reason why the protagonist is not identified by a name is because he is the author. However, there are creative ways of adding his name to the story, like adding it to dialogues directed at him. All the same, this is a great book which I would rate 3 stars.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I am yet to read the book. But the review as well as the comments above along with the sample hints about a great character driven story with humor, friendship, adventure and many more.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I love the adventurous spirit this book instills in the reader. You can’t help but want to start planning your next trip to some exotic locations.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I like that there is a lot of depth to the book as well. It’s not just about travel and adventure, but also about friendship and making good life decisions.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I liked reading about the exotic places they traveled to. I also liked that the story is not just about traveling but about boys growing into men. I liked the humor and the main characters. What I didn't like is that there was too much machismo, and at times I did not agree with the actions of the protagonists. Overall, I enjoyed reading this and gave this 4 stars in my review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I just downloaded this on audible based on the official review. I don't normally like to listen to books, but thought that the traveling premise of this tale would lend itself to that format. I am anxious to see if not being able to see the words will impact my enjoyment of the story.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:30 I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I will rate the book after I'm done reading the book.
Wow! You make it sound epic! I'd love to read this book. It has so many great elements according to your comment.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I haven’t read the book yet, but I am intrigued by it. It seems to have positive reviews and it sounds like an uplifting message. I’m interested in seeing how it progresses and who this mysterious protagonist is.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”