Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Post by Maconstewart »

From the title alone, I would have skipped right over this book. However, after feading these comments, it will definitely be added to my "want to read" shelf!

Obviously, I cannot rate this one since I have not read it. However, it looks like a definite winner.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Netvigator72 wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 03:44
Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:30 I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I will rate the book after I'm done reading the book.
This actually got me towards potentially reading the book and I’d love to hear your final thoughts.
It's worth reading. I completed reading the book and gave it a 4 star. Attached below is the link to my review of the book. Enjoy. :D

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 2&t=129095
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
sacredheartsbookclub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacredheartsbookclub.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer

Post by sacredheartsbookclub »

This book definitely sounds interesting! I love stories with an element of wanderlust. Maybe it's the type of book you take with you whilst traveling? Can anyone speak to this, maybe?
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

From the look of things the book sounds intriguing and fun. I would pick it up when i am done with the book I am currently reading
#RecordBreaker
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I don't know what it is but something really puts me off reading this book. Even the wonderful comments about the story being driven by humour. I may come back to it in the future.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

It was an interesting book, but personally I feel like it overhyped masculinity and what it ‘takes to be a man.’
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

It was an interesting book, but personally I feel like it overhyped masculinity and what it ‘takes to be a man.’
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Falling4Ever wrote: 02 May 2020, 06:22 It was an interesting book, but personally I feel like it overhyped masculinity and what it ‘takes to be a man.’
I couldn't agree more! It felt at times like they were trying way too hard to be 'men' and it went a little over board
Chanda Chema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanda-chema.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Chanda Chema »

From the dialogues, I felt that the author is the anonymous man. It is relatable as it highlights normal social relations. We grow up, we get jobs, we start families. Without knowing it, we forget about or lose friends due to shifted schedules. Luckily for the author and his friends, they reconnect and come up with a plan to make up for lost time.
Krishalliday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishalliday.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Krishalliday »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to others! What I liked most were the many messages the author got across regarding humility, friendship, and the importance of communication and vulnerability. I loved the descriptions of all the man mission destinations and could picture each one as if I were there. My only complaint is that at the end of each chapter the author felt the need to re-explain the symbolism of the ‘man mission’ to his own life. And this came across repetitive since he had done a great job of getting the message across without the ‘mansplaining’ at the end. Even so, I still rated this book a 4 out of 4 because I enjoyed the book so much. I think every married couple should read this book and learn from the characters’ mistakes.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

The book seems to be a type I'll like. Good that most enjoyed it. It be interesting to me also but this is my interesting genre though
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Chanda Chema wrote: 03 May 2020, 13:26 From the dialogues, I felt that the author is the anonymous man. It is relatable as it highlights normal social relations. We grow up, we get jobs, we start families. Without knowing it, we forget about or lose friends due to shifted schedules. Luckily for the author and his friends, they reconnect and come up with a plan to make up for lost time.
I agree that he seemed anonymous! I think not having a name really helped but it covered so many issues that anyone might face so it is easy for anyone to relate to certain parts.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I am yet to read the book. But the review as well as the comments above along with the sample hints about a great character driven story with humor, friendship, adventure and many more.
BreathofFreshAriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breathoffreshariel.html
Latest Review: The Survival of the Richest by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by BreathofFreshAriel »

Not too many books of the month have caught my attention, but this one is particularly interesting to me. I love anything that has to do with space and I enjoy great banter within a book. I'll be adding this to my bookself!
"We don't see things how they are, we see them as we are."
- Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmudic tractate Berakhot (55b.)
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

It is a very interesting read.
I like the diversity in beliefs and hilarious adventures the characters have.
I also enjoyed seeing the characters evolve from boys to men while reading through.

I will definitely recommend this book for people because it has good humour

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”