Favorite Man Mission Rules.

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Re: Favorite Man Mission Rules.

Post by Julius_ »

"Whining allowed" was awesome. Before you judge me for being weak, I felt that this rule allowed these men to at least express themselves whenever they felt pain. Mental health is very important. Dying in the inside while you only keep mum may lead to worst results
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 19:25
Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:49 I find the Man mission Rules funny and thrilling too. One of my favorite rule is "He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet." :lol:
What's your favorite Man Mission Rule? Let's share.
To
Yep. The Pink Bracelet. Definitely.
What are your thoughts about "whining allowed"? Don't you think it made the book interesting too? Imagine that book without the men's whinings .
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:55 Rule number three: Go beyond your limit is a great life lesson. And the pink bracelet is the funniest, I think it kept the men in check during tough times.
I agree, and "whining allowed" was the healthiest and the most precautious
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Patrick Nandi wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 08:31 Rule # 3Gobeyond your limits made the adventure more interesting
Yeah, I can't imagine this adventure without attempting the seemingly impossibles. I agree with you on that.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Kelyn wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 23:05 I would have to say # 3 is the one I like best. Go beyond your limits. Isn't that how any of us grow as a person? Unfortunately, it also set them up for pain and injuries.
Yeah, and fortunately these pain and injuries made the adventure more interesting. There is something about risk which is very adventurous. That's what rule #3 brought.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

ErikaP13 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 00:41
LeDiplomatique wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 00:01 'He who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet' sounds interesting. It's like saying that only girls are allowed to whine. I have been trying to imagine one of the guys trekking with a sprained foot and claiming he is okay while the pain escalates. It's a manly thing though, a girl would scream the hills down.
I'm not so sure about that, hey. Women are used to dealing with pain on a regular basis and going about their day like it isn't there. Men might have a higher pain threshold, but I'm willing to bet women can withstand pain longer than men...
Without sounding like a chauvinist, I think women whine the most when subject to any form of pain, especially the physical one. This can be witnessed even when both male and female children are being punished by either the parents or the teachers at school.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Kelyn wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 23:05 I would have to say # 3 is the one I like best. Go beyond your limits. Isn't that how any of us grow as a person? Unfortunately, it also set them up for pain and injuries.
I like this one too. It's great in theory but not usually so great in practice
I agree with you. I think it's only meant for motivational purposes. Putting it into practice may result into extremely sorry states, like physical pain.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 03:12
The guys interpreted that rule as going beyond their physical limits, and that in practice exposed them to injuries. A different interpretation, linked to obstacles in their lives, might have helped them better.
I agree that literal interpretation of the rule lead to physical injuries. But don't you think it was meant to be interpreted literally? I don't think they drafted the rule to mean life obstacles. Also, the physical injuries made the mission adventurous.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

ErikaP13 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:37

The guys interpreted that rule as going beyond their physical limits, and that in practice exposed them to injuries. A different interpretation, linked to obstacles in their lives, might have helped them better.
I agree completely, but even that links back to the whole "what makes a man a man" thing. It's kind of significant to me that they placed so much importance on the physical aspects of it rather than other interpretations.
Yeah, and it was a man mission anyway. I think it was completely meant to mean physically. Not through some unknown life struggles.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Julius_ wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 04:36
I agree that literal interpretation of the rule lead to physical injuries. But don't you think it was meant to be interpreted literally? I don't think they drafted the rule to mean life obstacles. Also, the physical injuries made the mission adventurous.
That was one of the "Man Mission Rules", so it was applied consequently, with the limits due to not being applied to their normal lives. The injury risk is indeed a part of the adventure.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

I really like the pink bracelet rule but also Bathing Optional. The rules are so funny.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:49 I find the Man mission Rules funny and thrilling too. One of my favorite rule is "He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet." :lol:
:lol: I haven't read the book...but considering that I really dislike pink color this would be a horrible thing for me... :D
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

The pink bracelet rule is certainly interesting, and I think (based on the responses to it in this thread) it holds a lot of potential for social commentary -- "whining" and "pink bracelet," both things that seem to be assigned to the gender role of a female, are seen as derogatory for a man but suitable behavior for a woman.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 12:20
:lol: I haven't read the book...but considering that I really dislike pink color this would be a horrible thing for me... :D
Oh really. I respect your decision, but give it a try. I'm sure the story line will make you love pink. :lol:
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

sevencrows wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 12:28 The pink bracelet rule is certainly interesting, and I think (based on the responses to it in this thread) it holds a lot of potential for social commentary -- "whining" and "pink bracelet," both things that seem to be assigned to the gender role of a female, are seen as derogatory for a man but suitable behavior for a woman.
True.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”