Favorite Man Mission Rules.

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Favorite Man Mission Rules.

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with the majority that the "pink bracelet-no whining" was the funniest rule. The group played that rule to the hilt and it provided moments for bonding and claiming hierarchy within the group. I appreciated the rule about "no luxuries." This rule highlighted their 'mission' of figuring things out on their own without the trappings of "civilization!"
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Julius_ wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 04:30
ErikaP13 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 00:41
LeDiplomatique wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 00:01 'He who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet' sounds interesting. It's like saying that only girls are allowed to whine. I have been trying to imagine one of the guys trekking with a sprained foot and claiming he is okay while the pain escalates. It's a manly thing though, a girl would scream the hills down.
I'm not so sure about that, hey. Women are used to dealing with pain on a regular basis and going about their day like it isn't there. Men might have a higher pain threshold, but I'm willing to bet women can withstand pain longer than men...
Without sounding like a chauvinist, I think women whine the most when subject to any form of pain, especially the physical one. This can be witnessed even when both male and female children are being punished by either the parents or the teachers at school.
I have three words for you: Natural...child...birth. Been there done that. Twice. The nurses kept telling me "Just scream. It will help." There was no screaming. None. And there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of women giving birth this same way, 24/7, 365 days a year. I've seen videos where men were subjected to the same type of pain using electrodes. Let's just say that they would be wearing the pink bracelet...for a very, very long time. I have more examples if you like. Shall I go on?
Radhika_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Radhika_ »

I enjoy the way the make the rules from stupid rules to some good rules, but I like the one who whines will wear the pink bracelet and the way the main character got the bracelet most of the time and I enjoyed his behavior for getting the pink bracelet funny.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

Pearl Hijabi wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 01:09 'He who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet' surely sound very funny and I'm trying to imagine a grown up man traveling with a pink bracelet'..
Same thing on my end. I wonder though how I would look with one of those????
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

For me it has to be, "He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet." It may seem a little sexist, saying men deal with pain better than women, (complete nonsense BTW) but I found it amusing. I may have to get my hubby a pink bracelet, he definitely whines the loudest in this house, and I have 3 daughters!
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Just like most of the readers here, I find 'He who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet' hilarious and fun. I don't even want to imagine further.
Books are beautiful.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

"Go Beyond Your Limits." It's inspirational and can be applied to any gender.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

LianaMayhew wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 18:40 For me it has to be, "He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet." It may seem a little sexist, saying men deal with pain better than women, (complete nonsense BTW) but I found it amusing. I may have to get my hubby a pink bracelet, he definitely whines the loudest in this house, and I have 3 daughters!
Yes! It does sound obviously sexist, but it also has another side. Like you said, it implies that men deal with pain better than women... but in this book it's proven otherwise! They get tired and mopey just like a woman can, not to mention the severe injuries they took on. I think the book was trying to teach us that men hurt just the same, but perhaps they would rather "suck it up" and go on with it, even if it doesn't hurt less.

Haha that's a splendid idea, do one of your daughters have a pink bracelet? Maybe one day you can hide it somewhere and leave a note. Just like in the book, the bracelet came from a daughter! :handgestures-thumbup: :lol:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

#5: No Luxuries Allowed is my favorite.
I find it very amusing because all four men eventually become well off at some point in their life (to be able to afford these missions), yet they still chose a rougher, simpler path. They could have sat in hotels all day with room service, but they chose not to. They wanted to be one with nature and discover it.

Though it was funny when they stumbled upon the hotel with the infinity pool in Vietnam. :lol:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

Sinclairess wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 11:47
LianaMayhew wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 18:40 For me it has to be, "He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet." It may seem a little sexist, saying men deal with pain better than women, (complete nonsense BTW) but I found it amusing. I may have to get my hubby a pink bracelet, he definitely whines the loudest in this house, and I have 3 daughters!
Yes! It does sound obviously sexist, but it also has another side. Like you said, it implies that men deal with pain better than women... but in this book it's proven otherwise! They get tired and mopey just like a woman can, not to mention the severe injuries they took on. I think the book was trying to teach us that men hurt just the same, but perhaps they would rather "suck it up" and go on with it, even if it doesn't hurt less.

Haha that's a splendid idea, do one of your daughters have a pink bracelet? Maybe one day you can hide it somewhere and leave a note. Just like in the book, the bracelet came from a daughter! :handgestures-thumbup: :lol:

I will have to check :lol2:
Tobewankenobe
Currently Reading: Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Tobewankenobe »

I like rule #3 the most. I try to live it in my everyday life, and that's why I identified with it so much when I read it.
Sitaab
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sitaab »

I like rule #3 the most. I try to live it in my everyday life, and that's why I identified with it so much when I read it.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

I like the pink bracelet rule - the men may have put a macho spin on it but I think it helped remind them of their families back home. I think if they had bumped into a group of women along the way it would have been immediately used to let them know the men had wives and families back home.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

Bhaskins wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 14:14
Laura Lee wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 10:36 LOL -- Great question! It's really hard to narrow it down to one. Rule #1 (Men Only) seems to go hand-in-glove with rules #6 (Bathing Optional) and #9 (To Go Al Fresco is to Touch the Face of God.)

On a personal level, I appreciate the challenge of Rule #3: Go Beyond Your Limits. (Perhaps that's why, so often, they returned with injuries?) LOL
Love Rule #3 also! Going beyond your limits is so important. Out limits are often far more than what we think they are.
I'm also a fan of #3 - we don't know what we're capable of til we're pushed.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I think it's cliché but I just liked that it was a "man" mission, which meant no ladies were allowed lol
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”