Which "Man Mission" did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Which "Man Mission" did you like best?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This book shows four friends on many adventures through many exotic and amazing places. Which "man mission" did you like or would enjoy doing the most, and why? For me, it was chasing the Icelandic Northern lights. It's something I could see myself attempting and enjoying.
What about you?
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

So far, my favorite "Man Mission" was when it was just the main character and Sam hiking. I feel like he really pushed himself to the limit with the knee injury that was endured.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Man mission II, their trip to Japan (Tokyo to Niigata). They used mountain bikes as their means of transport to explore the land. I would love to cycle through the forest and climb mountains if I was a pro in cycling. It sounds fun.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I enjoyed most the Harpers Pass Trail expedition. When the duo perceived a possible attack, the weapons they picked were amusing. When the author described the eyes surrounding them, wolves came to my mind. I was amused when I realized the terror was caused by mere cows. The author's style of narration of the scene made it more hilarious.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

LeDiplomatique wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 01:28 I enjoyed most the Harpers Pass Trail expedition. When the duo perceived a possible attack, the weapons they picked were amusing. When the author described the eyes surrounding them, wolves came to my mind. I was amused when I realized the terror was caused by mere cows. The author's style of narration of the scene made it more hilarious.
This would indeed sound hilarious. I was also expecting to discover that they would be facing much more ferocious creatures.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I can't really limit my "favorite" mission to one. My two favorite Man Missions were the first and the fourteenth. I liked the first because of the outlook of the protagonist and his friend, Sam. They were young and filled with energetic optimism. I thoroughly enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek humor of how they linked their masculinity to the hardships over come (blackened, falling off toe nails and all).

The fourteenth Man Mission I enjoyed for a couple of reasons. First, because it happened in my part of the world. (I live a few hundred kilometers north of the Peruvian border.) I got a kick out of Eytan's view of the Andes as being "exotic" and the most remote place they'd ever gone, as well as sympathizing with the adjustment it takes to be at high altitudes.

But more than that, I liked the character growth revealed in internal his musings. He was coming out of a dark passage in life. He was ruminating on the meaning of life and his role in it. He was healing and coming to a place of acceptance. This may not be the answer you're looking for, but as the book intrinsically links the increasing Man Missions to the life lessons learned along the way, I think it is not amiss to give this as a reason why I particularly liked this mission.

(I also liked how the pink bracelet was a recurrent theme throughout. LOL)
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

The most memorable one for me was the first one where the protagonist got injured because it felt that they already experienced a lot with just that one trip and it set the tone for the next trips.

The one I'd like to do was when they went cycling at Japan. I'd like to experience going through the local neighborhood where there weren't a lot of tourists and just mingle with the locals.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

Mine was Japan as I would love to visit Japan one day! So getting a glimpse of what it's like was interesting
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

If I was to do one of the missions, it would have been sailing around Thailand in the catamaran. But then, I'm a beach type of girl, not a thrill-seeker. :lol:
Cinnie052
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnie052.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Cinnie052 »

My favorite Man Mission was the hike in New Zealand. That cow incident, cracked me up.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

There's a list of my favorites. But, as you said, chasing the Icelandic Northern Lights was one of the bests.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

LeDiplomatique wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 01:28 I enjoyed most the Harpers Pass Trail expedition. When the duo perceived a possible attack, the weapons they picked were amusing. When the author described the eyes surrounding them, wolves came to my mind. I was amused when I realized the terror was caused by mere cows. The author's style of narration of the scene made it more hilarious.
I was planning on reading the book later but your incident has made me more curious to read the book early. I like when the author adds humor along with the story.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

tannus wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 00:50
I was planning on reading the book later but your incident has made me more curious to read the book early. I like when the author adds humor along with the story.
It's a hilarious book in a manly way. I am sure you will not be able to put it down.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Kibetious wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 08:12
This would indeed sound hilarious. I was also expecting to discover that they would be facing much more ferocious creatures.
Very hilarious. Actually, this is the scene that made me choose to read the entire book.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

These missions sound absolutely hilarious! Especially the one where the wolves turn out to be cows!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”