What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Re: What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Post by Tonika632 »

Everything is hard when you have to do it for the first time, eventually you become used to it.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

Wow. Thanks for this, Laura! You have raised a wonderful thread to talk about. I think this is very timely. The period that we are in right now requires a different kind of courage.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Honestly, that was the part that most resonated with me. Like the narrator, I was once in a job that was sucking the life out of me, to the point where I even got suicidal. Fortunately for me, I realised (with some help) that I could actually change my situation if I was unhappy with it. It didn't even occur to me to do that all the years I was in that awful job, and when he was going through the same thing, it really resonated with me.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

The lesson I gained from Man Mission is the importance of responsibility, accountability, and being decisive. I learned that even when one is still in his/her youth days, he/she must know what he/she wants in life. I also learned there that one has to be decisive in who to marry. And also, when building a family, one should be ready - meaning, one should be responsible and accountable to his/her actions that may affect his/her family. If one is a husband or a wife, they should consider and check their every action so that their family will be secured from being broken.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

Laura Lee wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 12:08 In Man Mission, Eytan Uliel skillfully interweaves the men's journeys with the life lessons he, as narrator, learns along the way. What is your favorite life lesson from the book and why?

My favorite is the observations of life shared by Peter, the German catamaran captain on Man Mission VIII, the trip to Thailand. On page 177 he tells the men: "I know what I do is strange and exotic to you . . . But that's my job . . . After a while, whatever you do in life becomes normal. I chose this life, and so this is normal for me. You have a different life, and so that is normal for you. We are all made of our experiences. The good thing is that anytime we want, we can change those experiences and change our life . . . If you choose a different life it will be strange at first, but in time almost anything can become normal."

Then he adds the challenge: "The most important thing is to have courage and to just f*#%ing do what you want. After that, my friends, everything else will be okay."

I really like Peter's perspective. Fear can be paralyzing. It can keep us back from pursuing our dreams. But if we will find the courage to pursue those dreams, even the most out-of-the-normal-rut experiences can become our new normal. I like that attitude and want to apply that to my own life.

What about you? What is your take-away from the book?
On this, I agree with you. Confidence is all we need, but once we resolve to confront our fears and engage in what we were so afraid of, we understand that we shouldn't have been so afraid in the first place. As a result, we welcome the new development and press on.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I agree with your observation. Additionally, what IIearnt was, sometimes, it's okay to ask for help from your friends than try and do everything on our own.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

I think my favorite part is prioritising one's love life and making it work. I liked that Daniel and Pamela always wanted to make it work while it died down with the author and Rachel. That was sad.
Spencer Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencer-maina.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Spencer Maina »

Keep your family and friends close. Your family is what makes you work hard, and friends help in unloading some of the tough burdens in your heart. And the most important is: when you're in trouble both of them will be there for you.
Bennete+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennete.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Bennete+ »

My favorite lesson from this is that we can rise again no matter what wreck we have caused. That said, courage is a compulsory requirement.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

The most important lesson this book taught me is not to maintain appearances for someone's sake and enjoy every moment of my life, no matter if I'm wrong sometimes.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

Being more courageous in your life will enable you to respond effectively to risks and achieve excellent results. But getting past your fears takes effort. In truth, being courageous entails thinking things through, weighing the risks and benefits, and acting despite the inevitable dread that arises.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

It taught me to keep my friends close to me because time is never enough. It takes a lot to go out your way to do things like which is why it makes it more special.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

There are so many lessons on Man Mission. The lives of the characters are full of lessons and the lives of the people they meet. My favorite was the main protagonist's lesson. That the past doesn't define the future. He found strength to move forward and soon he was happy again.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html

Post by Maris Charles M »

unamilagra wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:47 I don't know if this is a lesson per se, but the part that struck me most is when Sam found out his dad died. "And that means I’ll never be the child again. Just like that, poof-I’m the grownup now.”

My mom is going through treatment for stage IV cancer, and I know it's only a matter of time before I will lose her. It's really hard to think about what it will be like when your parent is gone forever. Reading this really helped me be more empathetic to my friends who have already lost their parents, and gave me insight into what I will be experiencing at some point too.
So touching. I totally agree with you. I lost my stepmom some months ago to breast Cancer. Its painful to even feel her gone while she was alive. All this experiences makes us stronger.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html

Post by Maris Charles M »

unamilagra wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:47 I don't know if this is a lesson per se, but the part that struck me most is when Sam found out his dad died. "And that means I’ll never be the child again. Just like that, poof-I’m the grownup now.”

My mom is going through treatment for stage IV cancer, and I know it's only a matter of time before I will lose her. It's really hard to think about what it will be like when your parent is gone forever. Reading this really helped me be more empathetic to my friends who have already lost their parents, and gave me insight into what I will be experiencing at some point too.
So touching. I totally agree with you. I lost my stepmom some months ago to breast Cancer. Its painful to even feel her gone while she was alive. All this experiences makes us stronger.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”