Have you been to any of the Man Mission locations?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Re: Have you been to any of the Man Mission locations?

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I’m pretty sure I haven’t been to any of the locations (I haven’t read the book, so am basing this statement on the reviews I’ve read), but I adore traveling. I also love a good travel blogger. A book with beautiful descriptions and imagery always inspires me to see more of this beautiful world 🌍 ❤️
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I have not been to any of them but they sound like interesting places that would be exciting to visit.
Gabe7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gabe7 »

I have never, but it’s a dream to go to any of these amazing places. After reading this I’m going to save up a little extra money just to go and experience these places. Wish me luck !
PetraWelch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petrawelch.html
Latest Review: Zodiac Signs by Smilena Kirilova

Post by PetraWelch »

I have never visited any of the locations in this book, although Hawaii is very high on my list ! The fact that most people here seem to agree that the author describes all of these places very accurately definitely gives me the travel bug !
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I have been to Vietnam!! But so many of the places the author writes about are on my bucket list and I am so eager to tick them off, one at a time!
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

I've hiked the Otter Trail in South Africa. It's an enormous privilege as a maximum of 12 visitors are allowed into the reserve per day (so 36 in total at any one time across the four days of the hike). Uliel is expansive in his praise of the varied landscape and extensive animal life. And he does come close to doing it justice. But, my overriding memory is of the smells and sounds experienced while walking. The dank, musty scent of the forest floor warmed by the morning sun piercing the tree canopy. The chattering monkeys and screeching birds above. Breaking twigs ahead, as startled buck dart off before they are seen. Then the salty smack of the air as you step out onto the beach. And the crash of waves as they break against the cliffs, dimmed by the forest but loud as thunder from the beach.

We were unfortunately not able to cross the Bloukrans River as it was high tide when we reached it. We had to hike up and out of the canyon and get lifted to the overnight hut by the rangers.
Sugarlump54
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarlump54.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sugarlump54 »

I’ve not been to any of the places but want to go to Australia and Africa.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have been to Australia but only in the touristy Gold Coast area, and Thailand in the capital city of Bangkok. I would like to visit the other countries mentioned in the book as well, like New Zealand, Japan, and Peru.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Unfortunately I haven't been to any of them in person, but the descriptions were stunning and Machu Pichu sounds so interesting and I'd love to go someday.
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

sevencrows wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 13:03 Unfortunately I haven't been to any of them in person, but the descriptions were stunning and Machu Pichu sounds so interesting and I'd love to go someday.
Yeah, Machu Picchu is near the top of my bucket list, too. I wish the author had spent more time describing each of the locations. That is really my favorite part of any book about travel.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I have never been, but boy does it make me want to. Fiji is on my list for sure. It sounds stunning. Especially as I'm sitting in the cold in Vermont!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

Sadly I have not been to any of them 😭 however, I have always dreamt of going to Hawaii and Australia. Maybe one day I'll get the chance.
Radhika_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Radhika_ »

I haven't been to any of the places, but the author's description is good enough to imagine who the place would be and after reading I want to visit some of the places from the book .
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

mary-annef wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 13:26 I've hiked the Otter Trail in South Africa. It's an enormous privilege as a maximum of 12 visitors are allowed into the reserve per day (so 36 in total at any one time across the four days of the hike). Uliel is expansive in his praise of the varied landscape and extensive animal life. And he does come close to doing it justice. But, my overriding memory is of the smells and sounds experienced while walking. The dank, musty scent of the forest floor warmed by the morning sun piercing the tree canopy. The chattering monkeys and screeching birds above. Breaking twigs ahead, as startled buck dart off before they are seen. Then the salty smack of the air as you step out onto the beach. And the crash of waves as they break against the cliffs, dimmed by the forest but loud as thunder from the beach.

We were unfortunately not able to cross the Bloukrans River as it was high tide when we reached it. We had to hike up and out of the canyon and get lifted to the overnight hut by the rangers.
This sounds amazing! South Africa is definitely on my bucket list!
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I have not been in anywhere in the world to be honest, but I can tell that the author put a lot of care into the places the protagonist and his friends traveled to.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”