Some interesting fun facts

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Re: Some interesting fun facts

Post by Poppy Drear »

I was vaguely aware of the vending machines in Japan, but I always love hearing about food in different areas, even if I'm sure I couldn't stomach some of the spices.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Cotwani wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 17:09 The 'man missions' not only introduced exotic picturesque sceneries. There were interesting tidbits to be garnered about the different areas. I, for example, marveled that there are no wild animals that can kill humans in New Zealand. The northern lights were also a wonder.

Did you also find some intetesting fun facts?
I couldn't believe it either! I had no idea that New Zealand had these type of animals!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

HeatherEi wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 16:30
diamonnd wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:30 I think my favorite one was the one in Japan. I was blown away by the kind of vending machines available there. It was certainly a surprise!
Yes, the vending machines! I would love to experience that!
I wish we had those here!
Josmolz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Josmolz »

Haha! Japanese traditions treat the topic of sex with such casualty. The subject of sex is barely as provocative as it is depicted in Western culture. I was intrigued by how casual men are with nudity. When Sam told the protagonist that his wife was expecting his first child, the men in the lobby of the hotel in Japan were wearing nothing but robes and slippers with nothing underneath. How interesting!
xxqueenforadayxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxqueenforadayxx.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B07PS7Y8SX

Post by xxqueenforadayxx »

I want to experience the Kava in Fiji. I never heard about that before. I'm really interested it what it's like.
If life ain't just a joke, then why am I laughing?
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Cotwani wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 17:09 The 'man missions' not only introduced exotic picturesque sceneries. There were interesting tidbits to be garnered about the different areas. I, for example, marveled that there are no wild animals that can kill humans in New Zealand. The northern lights were also a wonder.

Did you also find some intetesting fun facts?
Wow! I didn't know that! Cool!

I haven't read the book but this comment alone made me curious about it!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Priyanka Kumar wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 08:41 I just started reading the book. Currently I am reading the second mission in Japan. So far I like the first night they camped in New Zealand, where they got surrounded by cows.
This reminded me of me and my friends wild camping in Georgia (the country). We were hikig in mountain region. In the evening we built our tent and watched the flying glow-worms (bugs? I don't know how they are called in English). That was amazing! We felt like we were high up in the sky, surrounded by stars. Anyway, when we got out of a tent in the morning, we found ourselves surrounded by cows. Cows, cows, cows, in all directions. And we're in the middle of it.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

VernaVi wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 06:51 In a humorous way...I noticed the interesting and fun fact that "a can of beer is the international male symbol of friendship and acceptance." This book brings a lot of smiles as one reads it!
Funny. Though unfortunate...
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

espo wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:10 One of the things that fascinated me the most in the book is the way Australian country hospitality is described. A man just offered to host the boys for a night, although they were complete strangers, and left a note on his door that they could find the key under the carpet and help themselves while he was away. I wonder if anyone on here has experienced something similar in Australia or other parts of the world?
Oh, there were so many! I've been traveling since... 10 years ago? Stopped counting. Even in the US, which I consider to be a country of the most protective people, I still met many good souls. People would invite me to their homes, give food, a spot to rest from a road for a while. Not to mention clothes, maps, torches or whatever they could think of.

When I host travelers at my home, I too give them keys, and have never had bad experience.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Grass hoppers is the most bizarre thing I've ever eaten. After this, puffin burger doesn't sound as shocking.. Dog meat, on the other hand, would probably make me sick.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I didn’t know there was a North Island and South Island in New Zealand. I thought it was only one island. NZ doesn’t get much real estate on world maps.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

All the vending machines in Japan...oh God!
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

All the vending machines in Japan...oh God!
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ten10 »

Yes, I was dreary fearful that certain adventures would be too dangerous but it turned out to be the exact opposite from what I expected.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I was fascinated by what the Japanese vending machine was capable of dispensing. I was also intrigued that the narrator merely made mention of the fact that they came across a snake on their man mission in Australia. He said it as if it was no big deal; he mentioned it in passing the same way he'll indicate that they came across a fly or a bird. No serious attention was paid to the fact that they could have been bitten by the snake.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”