The Main Character's Hardships

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Re: The Main Character's Hardships

Post by readerrihana »

I think he was depressed because of societies expectations of men, and how men can be very misunderstood. He also did not have someone to really understand him or appreciate him, and probably thought himself a failure in some way, which from what i understand is hard on the male ego
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Over time, the expectations of others will eventually grow heavier until we sort of lose ourselves. I saw that quite a bit in the protagonist, the man missions seemed to be an escape from his burden, and a way of reminding himself who he was.
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ten10 »

The main character challenges that married people face in the society today. Most people are put down by societal expectations towards them in their endless desire to appease the society.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

Feeling like you have to be strong in every way is such an unrealistic ideal to put on anyone. It's too much. Never showing weakness, never making mistakes, it's an impossible standard. It would crack anyone and make them feel unworthy (which of course isn't fair). Compounded by a huge mistake (cheating) would definitely make him feel worse.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

Yes agreed! expectations society had for him to be a Man were totally the reason why he got so depressed. It's actually so sad, how men can't show their emotions in the fear of backlash they might get
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

Like a lot of you said, his depression is clearly caused by the expectations the society has for him. A lot of depressions are cause by this. You are suffering, yet you continue because you fear what the others might think if you appear as weak. So, you go on and on until one day you break. It's what happened at the airport when he frozed. You just can't fake forever. It always comes back at you.
Lexiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiem.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Lexiem »

I think what caused his hardships were the roles he believed he was supposed to fulfill. He thought he should only feel a certain way and that everyone felt that certain way. This caused him to feel like an outcast and like he was less of a man and not good enough.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I think he was guilty and at the same time many men seem to get depressed if they fail as provided and supporter for their family and if they don't meet with societies expectations as a winner and someone who can be relied upon.

I dont know if I am correct in that observation.
Neha Puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Neha Puri »

I think he was not able to tell his feelings to his first wife who doesn't even know how much he is suffering from inside, suffering living the life she has been living he was hating his life of work. But he was not able to say anything and cheated on her, and after that, he fell more guilty. He wants to be a small child who can say everything but he can't as he wants to show society he is strong.
Reagan Reg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reagan-reg.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Reagan Reg »

I think the main character is depressed towards the end because most of the decisions he makes are aimed at satisfying the society. He forget about his dreams and vision in life.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

habsfan212 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 19:46 Like a lot of you said, his depression is clearly caused by the expectations the society has for him. A lot of depressions are cause by this. You are suffering, yet you continue because you fear what the others might think if you appear as weak. So, you go on and on until one day you break. It's what happened at the airport when he frozed. You just can't fake forever. It always comes back at you.
This is very true. Often unhappiness comes from not feeling like you are achieving what you think you should be. Eventually there's always a time where is will not be able to be hidden any more
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Instead of caring about how he felt about his job, he cared more about what Rachel thought about it. I was so frustrated at him when he decided to not leave the current job. I was talking to him in my head saying "Don't stay, you're gonna feel miserable". When someone feels so disconnected with one's self, they are bound to be depressed.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

Men, in my opinion, has always been plagued by the toxic masculinity along the mindset that men don't cry. For me, REAL men cry. It's a sign of courage. I'll never want a moody guy.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think you're right in a way - it's almost what everyone expects. Although, one would wonder why he sabotaged his relationship in the way he did when he could have probably dealt with the situation in a much different way. However, in some cultures, marrying the first woman that you have intercourse with is the norm as is staying with her and so, for these people, the thought of making a mistake like cheating on your wife might be more devastating than what one would normally think. Perhaps to the point of having a severe psychiatric disorder as a result. It's always easy to give advice or poke at someone for their behavior, but sometimes, or most times, (I hope anyways) it is more rational than one realizes. Additionally, some people might be more hardwired to be less flexible with changes and might go a bit off their rocker, so-to-speak when yanked out of their comfort zone, especially maybe if it was their own doing.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Charlyt wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 01:27 What do you think was/were the main reason/s for the main character's depression towards the latter part of the book?
For me, I think it was the expectations for him to be a man in a society where it is expected for men to be strong physically and emotionally.
Yeah, I completely agree with you. I also think he was just generally unhappy, with his job and his marriage. The fact that he couldn't do anything about his job because he was the sole provider of his family also didn't help matters.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”