Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Post by Philosopher2022 »

Connie Otwani wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 08:17 I know poor communication is a verified relationship killer. All the same, I think Rachel's attitude played a big role in the final fall-out. I mean, I found her unsupportive (heck, she was opposed to man mission from day 1), selfish (wouldn't go to work), bitter and a loner (she didn't reach out to the "wives committee).

On the other hand, maybe its just that the main protagonist's character (whose name I don't remember seeing) was better fleshed out. We didn't get to hear her side of the story.

What do you opine?
Your thoughts were exactly same as mine. They both had their issues but i think Rachel was more of a difficult person than Daniel.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

None of them, both Rachel and the protagonist had their faults.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I agree with both of them and I feel sorry for both of them, they seem like victims of poor communication
Wandaquinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wandaquinn.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Wandaquinn »

I wouldn't take any sides. However, I found Rachel to be condescending at some point. She didn't show any consideration for Eytan's happiness. This was, nonetheless, not a justification to cheat. The two should have tried counseling to work out their differences.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Connie Otwani wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 08:17 I know poor communication is a verified relationship killer. All the same, I think Rachel's attitude played a big role in the final fall-out. I mean, I found her unsupportive (heck, she was opposed to man mission from day 1), selfish (wouldn't go to work), bitter and a loner (she didn't reach out to the "wives committee).

On the other hand, maybe its just that the main protagonist's character (whose name I don't remember seeing) was better fleshed out. We didn't get to hear her side of the story.

What do you opine?
First off, we didn't hear Rachael's side of the story since it was a memoir, but from what I read, if selfish was a person... It may have been Rachael. I mean that man was doing all the work, all she could at least do was be supportive or at least communicate properly about how she felt.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Lack of communication in a marriage is a formula for terrible things, and if the couple doesn't make amends, they may even file for divorce soon. The main character puts in a lot of effort during the entire year and also Reacheal does for the children through the entire year too, so I believe that the both deserves a vacation of their choice. They ought to have agreed to a compromise.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I'm team Rachel, she may have had a role to to play in the reasons why they didn't communicate properly, but did that mean the narrator should have cheated on her ? No. And I'm glad they divorced, clearly they had different priorities.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praiyz-pearlumie-olushegun.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun »

Team Rachel, I'm a woman and I can feel her pains, nobody deserves to be cheated on like that.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 13:37 I have to agree with you about Rachel; she didn't seem to take into account the main character's happiness. Being so vehemently opposed to something your partner loves is bound to create tension.
I have to agree with this. Good point you have here.
Khasheem
Currently Reading: Prince of Fools
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khasheem.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khasheem »

I think they were just incompatible. They both had very different things they wanted from the marriage, and neither of them were able to get time from their jobs, and they weren't spending any time together at all. I can see both sides, but I am a bit more sympathetic when it comes to Rachel because her husband was going on trips with friends, and was coming back injured, and she was left to take care of kids alone.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

Team none, I felt the both of them should have put in extra effort into their relationship.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Rachel was not supportive of what the protagonist enjoyed doing. She had never liked the idea of the man's mission from day one.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

I vote for team none because I do feel that whatever happened between the both of them should have been resolved in an understandable manner.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

Main protagonist.
Sasikala gupta
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasikala-gupta.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Sasikala gupta »

They both were flawed in the first place. No husband would leave his pregnant wife, to go on solo trips that's a big red flag there itself. And Rachel became to dependent on her husband for her happiness...and no proper communication between them .....in a relationship communication is the key
Reading is like opening a door to another world :techie-studyinggray: :techie-reference:

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”