Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
mrwrite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrwrite.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Post by mrwrite »

I would never leave my wife pregnant to go camping myself, besides she loves the outdoors. I would rather take my family on a trip. I see her point since I didn't think he made the right move. I get his side since we all need a break but poor timing man.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

ViziVoir wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 18:00 Honestly, I feel for both of them. I think they both had flaws in their approaches to interpersonal relationships, to say nothing of their different priorities, and it really seems like they shouldn't have been together to begin with.
I couldn't agree less. It is sad knowing that Rachel was painted in a negative light. They both had flaws and probably shouldn't have been together in the first place. I firmly believe theirs was a case of incompatibility.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

As we read the novel from the main character's perspective, I was sympathetic towards him. Im sure if I read it from Rachel's perspective, I would be siding with her. What I liked about him is he truly was sorry for what he did. Instead of blaming everything on her, he accepted his mistake, moved on and worked on himself.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I didn't love Rachel but it's also such a hard position to be in. Clearly neither one was happy in the relationship and it ended up better for both of them.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

I'd like to know the main protagonist's side of the story to decide how the story ultimately unfolds .
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think that he should have told her that he felt like being apart for awhile. There was really no reason to disrespect her like that. I think she was right in saying that he was selfish because of that, but at the same time, she seemed a bit possessive, which makes her appear selfish. But was her selfishness reason enough to disrespect her in that fashion? She didn't, at least in any apparently outright fashion or that we know of, make any move that caused such a break in their relationship as did his cheating. I think it was both of them - perhaps neither of them wanted to be together so they mutually caused it. All her little breaking of the rules, resulted in his one big rule breaking and so, now he's the bad guy. Seems almost stereotypical.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

They were both flawed. Maybe they went into their marriage without much understanding of how to make it work.
Daniel Stallion-Keys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-stallion-keys.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Daniel Stallion-Keys »

I am on both sides. :techie-studyingbrown:

I am on Rachel's side, because I cannot imagine leaving my pregnant woman at home while I go out with my friends, as it would make me feel guilty.

I am also on the protagonist's side because it is an escape from all of their stress (I am not saying the wives do not experience stress from their lives, but they probably let it out differently).

I feel that the keyword in this discussion is time. The guys only left for days at most to go on these trips and not like a whole month. A few days out of 365 to go hiking, kayaking, and bonding also does not sound like a big deal. But, the pregnant part however, feels like it changes things a bit.

I personally would never leave my pregnant wife to go hiking, I feel. I'd rather stay at home, and then, annoy and love her to bits. :lol2:
Lynda Howard
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-howard.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Lynda Howard »

Team protagonist all the way! I know he made a mistake but she played her part in it to. She could have found a job and taken some of the work and financial strain off of their relationship. I feel she chose to live with blinkers on, preferring to have time in the day for gym and to get her nails done. I feel she wasn’t a team player in the relationship.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I think there are two sides to every story. I remember when I read that part, I was wishing I could hear the issues from Rachel's point of view. The fact that he was even willing to go on the man mission when the twins were just a couple of months old showed he was no saint either. I think both of them needed to have taken the time to work on their relationship, but the truth is they just weren't willing to try
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I agree. Rachel's bitterness catalysed the end fallout in a significant manner.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Tabuya Dube »

Rachel does come across as "hard-hearted" but I am sure she also was doing her best to cope with three young children and an uncommunicative husband.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I totally agree with you. It's team Ethyn for me. Rachel was too selfish. As in her husband really tried for her but she was never grateful. Even denied him sex. I don't blame him for cheating on her
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

Team Rachel I support, however she has a flaws too. The author was a bit unconcerned about the welfare of Rachel because she was focused on t taking care of the kids while he went on his usual voyages.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I don't think there can be a real Team Rachel, because everything we were told was from her husband's perspective. We never got to see the world how she saw it, why she was the way she was, and most especially, how she viewed her marriage.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”