Which character is the most well-rounded?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Which character is the most well-rounded?

Post by Browlyns »

Daniel the organizer is the most well rounded character, he thinks through things carefully and thinks about repercussion well.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

I liked Daniel the most out of the four men.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I agree that the character of Daniel appears well rounded, but the author had seen him as to be flawless and above having any sort of problem or marital issues, yet in the end he turned out to have marital issues like everyone else and revealed himself as a normal person who has the same issues as other people...so i think that perhaps his character is just not so well known, but he appears on the surface well rounded
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ten10 »

I would go for Daniel. He is so tidy, organised and looked like a leader in the group. The other men were always looking up to him for ideas and guidance on the man missions.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

To a large extent, Daniel seemed the most well-developed and all-rounded for several reasons. His organizational skills kept the team going. That skill also was evident in his personal life. Well-roundedness was also seen in the narrator's role and character despite his flaws which I find natural.
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

Every character helps in building the narration but Daniel is the most outstanding and we'll rounded character in the novel. I particularly like his good coordination skills.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

B Creech wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 14:18 The four men in the story are good, long-time friends but are so different. The main protagonist seems wimpy to me. He's a follower, not a leader. Eric is a playboy. He wants to party and womanize!. Sam is a good athlete and likes a challenge. Daniel is organized, a good athlete, and seems to go with the flow. Of the four, I think Daniel is the most well-rounded, although I have never known a man that organized! What are your thoughts? Who do you think is the most well-rounded of the four?
Haha. I haven't read this book, but I'm curious: what makes you say that you've never met a man as well-organized as Daniel? Or is it that the character feels pristine and therefore, unrelatable?
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

readerrihana wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 21:11 I agree that the character of Daniel appears well rounded, but the author had seen him as to be flawless and above having any sort of problem or marital issues, yet in the end he turned out to have marital issues like everyone else and revealed himself as a normal person who has the same issues as other people...so i think that perhaps his character is just not so well known, but he appears on the surface well rounded
I haven't read this book, but the description of Daniel here made it feel like he was too perfect, which in my opinion, makes him unrealistic. Well, your comment has shown that he does have issues in his life too, so I guess that balances out his "perfection" properly.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Nkoo wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 07:05 To a large extent, Daniel seemed the most well-developed and all-rounded for several reasons. His organizational skills kept the team going. That skill also was evident in his personal life. Well-roundedness was also seen in the narrator's role and character despite his flaws which I find natural.
I haven't read this book. However your comments seem to suggest that the narrator is a more relatable character, even though you perceive Daniel to be just as well-rounded as he is. What kind of flaws did he have? I'm talking about the narrator.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 02:06
B Creech wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 14:18 The four men in the story are good, long-time friends but are so different. The main protagonist seems wimpy to me. He's a follower, not a leader. Eric is a playboy. He wants to party and womanize!. Sam is a good athlete and likes a challenge. Daniel is organized, a good athlete, and seems to go with the flow. Of the four, I think Daniel is the most well-rounded, although I have never known a man that organized! What are your thoughts? Who do you think is the most well-rounded of the four?
Haha. I haven't read this book, but I'm curious: what makes you say that you've never met a man as well-organized as Daniel? Or is it that the character feels pristine and therefore, unrelatable?
Daniel took care of setting up all of the activities for their trips and made the reservations, etc. He also seemed to have a good, stable marriage. Even when him and his wife split for awhile he wanted to make it work out, so he did what was necessary to make that happen. I just felt like he was more 'put together' than the rest if the men.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 02:13
Nkoo wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 07:05 To a large extent, Daniel seemed the most well-developed and all-rounded for several reasons. His organizational skills kept the team going. That skill also was evident in his personal life. Well-roundedness was also seen in the narrator's role and character despite his flaws which I find natural.
I haven't read this book. However your comments seem to suggest that the narrator is a more relatable character, even though you perceive Daniel to be just as well-rounded as he is. What kind of flaws did he have? I'm talking about the narrator.
I felt the protagonist of this book was weak. He never made the decisions where the group would be going each year and never chose what challenging sport they participated in. He was accident prone, it seemed; and he was a follower not a leader.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 08:56
I felt the protagonist of this book was weak. He never made the decisions where the group would be going each year and never chose what challenging sport they participated in. He was accident prone, it seemed; and he was a follower not a leader.
Okay, understood. I think I see myself in both men. Sometimes I can take charge and other times, I just want to slink away and let others deal with the situation.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 08:52
Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 02:06
Daniel took care of setting up all of the activities for their trips and made the reservations, etc. He also seemed to have a good, stable marriage. Even when him and his wife split for awhile he wanted to make it work out, so he did what was necessary to make that happen. I just felt like he was more 'put together' than the rest if the men.
Got it. Kind of reminds me of every Steven Seagal movie. Still, I actually have met a few men like that in real life. They're rare, but they do exist.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 18:11

Okay, understood. I think I see myself in both men. Sometimes I can take charge and other times, I just want to slink away and let others deal with the situation.
I understand that. I think many of us are that way, men and women. I don't particularly like change but I can deal with it better at different times, depending on my mood, I guess! :D
B. Creech
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 18:17
Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 18:11
I understand that. I think many of us are that way, men and women. I don't particularly like change but I can deal with it better at different times, depending on my mood, I guess! :D
Yeah. Spot on 😁

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”