What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Re: What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Post by Ten10 »

I think the constant shift from the past to the present helps readers to understands the happenings behind each mission better.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The author did an amazing job switching time-frames. It takes a level of writing expertise to do that effortlessly. Kudos to the author!
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I think I would not have a problem with the going back and forth issue, as long as they are properly "labeled" so I would not have a hard time in identifying which period I was reading.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The author was both able to take us back to the past and keep us in the present without us losing track of the books flow. I agree that this takes mastery.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I thought that in this case the author did a very good job of going between the flashbacks and the present. The story flowed together flawlessly, and everything fit together.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The author's use of flash back as a technique has greatly advanced the plot by laying down the frameworks that were used in coming up with the book. Though constant referrals to past events may be a bit confusing, the merits of flash backing are worth using them
Bet on Me! :idea:
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 09:45 The author's use of flash back as a technique has greatly advanced the plot by laying down the frameworks that were used in coming up with the book. Though constant referrals to past events may be a bit confusing, the merits of flash backing are worth using them
The author did an amazingly good job integrating the flash backs with the adventures, didn't he?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Smile-Austin
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smile-Austin »

Flashback though sometimes slows down the story line and may be very uninteresting for pace readers, but I love it personally cause very oftens it throughs limelight on the story line or character.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

I liked it...it wasn't at all distracting, the author did it with great care and it really adds a thing to the story.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I really liked the jumping back and forth effect. I think the author pulled it off very well. Considering that this is such a lengthy book, I think the little present-tense action prologue at the beginning of each chapter helps keep the audience interested.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meadow Fox
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadow-fox.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Meadow Fox »

I thought that it really added a lot to the story. Sometimes it went a little fast for me and I felt like I got whiplash, but I liked it overall.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I think the author subtly merged the events well, it helped me as a reader to learn and relate to the emotions of the reader.
Karmenk2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmenk2.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper

Post by Karmenk2 »

:tiphat: After reading two books before Man Mission that did the same thing, pretty well, but not like Eytan Uliel. He pulled this off superbly and I was never confused. :tiphat:
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Karmenk2 wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 11:14 :tiphat: After reading two books before Man Mission that did the same thing, pretty well, but not like Eytan Uliel. He pulled this off superbly and I was never confused. :tiphat:
He did handle it exceptionally well, didn't he?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

I think the author did a great job switching back and forth between the man missions an the flashbacks to home life. I actually found it interesting to read about what was affecting the author's perspective during each vacation. Sometimes a change in perspective like that can be distracting or confusing but I think that Uliel managed it very well.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”