What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Post by Laura Lee »

I don't think I have read a book that has had quite so much jumping back and forth between the advancing action (the missions) and flashbacks as in Man Mission. It's a very difficult way to write and still maintain cohesiveness.

Personally, though, I think Uliel pulled it off brilliantly. The flashbacks either related to some epiphany learned on the mission, or worked as foreshadowing.

What are your thoughts? Were you able to follow the action despite the constant jumping back and forth? Did you think it was effective or confusing?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Personally I think the author did a diligent job switching the past and present events. He was careful to make sure that the reader does not lose track of the story line.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Nerea wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 14:37 Personally I think the author did a diligent job switching the past and present events. He was careful to make sure that the reader does not lose track of the story line.
I agree, and that takes a lot of skill as a writer. It would be easy to get lost, but he handled it very well and I was as interested in one story arc, as in the other.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I loved the flashbacks. I think that sometimes when authors try to write that way it becomes very choppy or confusing, but I think his transitions were very smooth and also made me more interested in both storylines. I feel like it would have been much more boring if they had been separated out.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

unamilagra wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 18:46 I loved the flashbacks. I think that sometimes when authors try to write that way it becomes very choppy or confusing, but I think his transitions were very smooth and also made me more interested in both storylines. I feel like it would have been much more boring if they had been separated out.
I agree with you. The flashbacks actually augmented the missions. He really wove the seamlessly together.
Laura Lee

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I didn’t mind it at all and thought that the author did a great job jumping back and forth. It was able show the contrast between the Man Missions and their personal life, and it was done smoothly.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think the flashbacks also made the characters more relatable, showing how their relationships built up over the years as well as showing the effects of having family support (or lack of which) and strong friendship bonds, among other themes.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Referring strictly to the "how", I believe that the author does it very smoothly, the reader does not have any difficulty in following the thread of the action.
As to the reason why he does it or what he achieves by using this method, I believe it enriches the reading experience. A steady, chronological account of the trips, like a log, would have been somewhat boring.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Charlyt wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 01:02 I didn’t mind it at all and thought that the author did a great job jumping back and forth. It was able show the contrast between the Man Missions and their personal life, and it was done smoothly.
The flashbacks really added to the story, didn't they? They helped to "flesh out" the characters.
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 01:43 I think the flashbacks also made the characters more relatable, showing how their relationships built up over the years as well as showing the effects of having family support (or lack of which) and strong friendship bonds, among other themes.
That's a really good point. We wouldn't have felt the same connection to the characters without the rich back story the flashbacks provided. Thanks for sharing!
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

aacodreanu wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 02:05 Referring strictly to the "how", I believe that the author does it very smoothly, the reader does not have any difficulty in following the thread of the action.
As to the reason why he does it or what he achieves by using this method, I believe it enriches the reading experience. A steady, chronological account of the trips, like a log, would have been somewhat boring.
This is true. Hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I'm amazed at how well he does it. Thanks for sharing!
Laura Lee

HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I like them. It keeps me more engaged!
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

HeatherEi wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 16:29 I like them. It keeps me more engaged!
It really rounds out our understanding of the men, doesn't it?
Laura Lee

Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I thought going back and forth from the current Man Mission to an incident in the past was effective. I didn't have a problem with staying focused. Actually, the flashbacks usually tied right into one of the characters' attitudes and moods of the moment on the trips.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

I believe that the writer has managed to accomplish the switching between reality and flashbacks very well. It takes lots of mastery. I liked it.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”