Favorite Character of the "Man Mission" Group?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Re: Favorite Character of the "Man Mission" Group?

Post by Nerea »

diamonnd wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 11:01 Each of the four members of the Man Mission group are similar in some ways, but different in many others. They all love adventure and spending time with each other, but they each have their own character as well.

Who was your favorite one out of the four? I loved them all, but I think that Sam might have been my favorite. I loved his humor and sense of adventure. I also think he had some really good character development has he dealt with becoming a father and then losing his own. I liked watching him mature from a boy into a man. This was certainly a fantastic book!
Sam is my favorite character too. He's strong, got a healthy sense of humor and I like how he expressed his feelings when he lost his dad. Clearly wiping out the stereotype notion that men aren't emotional.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

pshaw1414 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 22:12
B Creech wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 17:19
pshaw1414 wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 15:44

I believe you mean Alec. I agree, he was there when the narrator was down and out. They were also friends for the longest duration. The narrator offered his home to Alec when he was in a similar situation. I liked that he finally developed and settled down from the bachelor lifestyle. Prior to that, I thought the poor guy was going nowhere fast.
You're right, I did mean Alec! Eric is the protagonist in a book I am currently reading! I agree that at first he didn't seem like he would ever settle down. However, after he sowed his wild oats he probably ended up with a better married life than the rest of the men!
Definitely agreed! Maybe the protagonist should have taken his time instead of randomly deciding to propose to Rachel. :)
Yes! Her personality seemed to change as soon as they got married.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I liked Eric in the way he treated friendships the most. Great character.
Patrick Nandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-nandi.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Patrick Nandi »

Think you are talking about Alec and not Eric who is not a character in the book
IfeomaD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

Sam is also my favourite character because he's got a good sense of humour and very disciplined
We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

pshaw1414 wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 15:44
B Creech wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 18:18 I liked all four of the characters, but as for my favorite, I have to say, Eric. It took him longer to decide to settle down in life but I think that benefited him in the long run. I felt he was a genuine friend to the others. I loved the way he took charge when the main protagonist was locked up at home wallowing in his own depression and Eric showed up and made him go out. That is a true friend because that is a hard thing to do, but it is exactly what needed to be done!
I believe you mean Alec. I agree, he was there when the narrator was down and out. They were also friends for the longest duration. The narrator offered his home to Alec when he was in a similar situation. I liked that he finally developed and settled down from the bachelor lifestyle. Prior to that, I thought the poor guy was going nowhere fast.
Haha I didn't even notice when I replied to that comment! You're absolutely right. He was described so well I knew exactly who she was talking about!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I liked both Sam and Daniel. I guess it is the fact that Daniel was always organizing and a voice of reason that I could relate to. Then Sam did not just chase after money ...he made sure what he studied for counted.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

My favourite character was the main protagonist, I connected to his plight as he made his mistakes. When he divorced he was in a slump for a while, then he had to pick himself up through the help of his friends. Then they was new beginnings with Sarah and the realisation of missing Rachel and the very important moments he lost with his kids. The whole transition from realisation to his personal healing was very touching for me.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Patrick Nandi wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 07:26 Sam is my favorite character because he is disciplined and accepts defeat well
I agree one hundred percent. Eric is a great character as well.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

My favorite was Daniel. I think he's the type who's very balanced and stable, the kind of person you can rely on but at the same time have lots of fun with.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

I liked them all, but I think I really preferred the narrator. Maybe that is because we saw things from his perspective. Personally, I can empathize with anyone who lets his/her own passivity get them stuck in an unhappy relationship, and that seemed to be at least part of the narrator's problem.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I would say that Sam was my favourite, he was the perfect combination of fun and mature in my opinion.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Read Em An Weep
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read-em-an-weep.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Read Em An Weep »

The narrator was so relatable to me, and his personality was the reason I kept on reading, to be honest. How he struggled and overcame his issues with Rachel was my favorite arc
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

espo wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 15:31 My favorite was Daniel. I think he's the type who's very balanced and stable, the kind of person you can rely on but at the same time have lots of fun with.
I completely agree! I think Daniel also showed the different outcome of an unhappy marriage: he worked at it instead of resulting to cheating and ultimately they were able to work out their differences
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I like all four characters as well but my favorite was Alec. He seemed to be a late bloomer; he joined the man mission latest and got married latest. He also had entrepreneurial tendencies and skills; when he quit his job and started his. Even though he failed at first, he succeeded eventually. He appeared to have a worthwhile life overall.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”