Lessons on relationships and marriage from the main protagonist

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Lessons on relationships and marriage from the main protagonist

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Every marriage, in my opinion, has a unique set of guidelines that apply to it; attempting to measure your marriage against a general guideline may prove disastrous.
Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praiyz-pearlumie-olushegun.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun »

From the marriage of the protagonist to the relationship of Daniel and Alec, I find communication to be crucial.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:50 The narrator and Rachel behaved like they signed a contract, so they followed some rules and expected the marriage to work. They didn't seem aware that a relationship changes in time, so the spouses need to keep "in synch" if they want it to keep on working. Communications seemed quite poor in their marriage.
I agree with you on this.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I learned that we can't serve two masters. I think the root cause of the negative effects on the characters marriage and relationship is the fact that they weren't able to balance their devotion towards their love for adventure and married life. Staying away from your family can have a negative impact
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I learnt that relationships are meant to experience pain and frustration from both partners.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

In all of these, I could understand that marriage is not just about love but also about friendship, being with someone that understands you completely.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Understanding is one key factor to any healthy relationship and I think the protagonist and his spouse lack that.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I feel there is an important lesson on the idea of "you need to talk". I love the conversation when the main character realizes that his wife has been going through similar problems to him, that she has been having to look for solutions to be able to cope. They were on the same place, but they didn't find support because they didn't talk. Talking with your partner should always be one of the first steps when looking for a solution, never the last resource.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

LyorBoone wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 23:24 Marriage takes work, but it’s hard to put in the work when any one of the pair is absent. For soldiers, nothing is taken for granted because death is always on the mind. But for astronauts it is much easier to forget about those left behind while adventuring in Space. And in this case, the wives will find it easier to resent their husbands with less dangers to worry about. In comparison, Space is like a dream vacation they miss out on. So being busy isn’t a valid excuse for taking the life back at home for granted.
Yes, very nice point.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”