Did this book change your perspective on 'the cheater' in any way?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Re: Did this book change your perspective on 'the cheater' in any way?

Post by Tabuya Dube »

I understand how the author got to that point but still at so many points he could have made an effort to save his marriage, not by ignoring the issues but by getting help through counseling and the like.
Manas Ranjan Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manas-ranjan-mishra.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Manas Ranjan Mishra »

Karina Nowak wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 20:37 I honestly feel that either the protagonist or his wife could have had an affair. They both were at the end of their rope and I was just waiting to see who would let go first.

But by the time it happened, I thought I would be mad and annoyed, but I just felt so sorry for him. He was so unhappy with his life, living in a relationship with a partner he couldn't communicate with and wasn't even sure loved him anymore, and stifled by his responsibility and what he thought others expected of him.

In other words, never in my life did I think I would feel sorry for a cheater, and I did. I really did. The author really made you feel what the protagonist was feeling and showed the progression of his overwhelming happiness at the beginning of his relationship to how it slowly fell apart.

So although we aren't saying that cheating is okay, it isn't. I came away with an understanding that a person can't be in their right frame of mind to cheat. They are most likely desperate and hurting and so off-balanced emotionally that they submit to something that can hurt others and themselves just to feel good about themselves and their life again for a moment.

What are your thoughts? Did this book give you any insight into why a person might cheat? Did you feel sorry for the protagonist at all? Or, like him, did you think it was all his fault and he got what he deserved?
I completely agree with you. With these kind of strains in relationship, cheating may happen. And if cheating happens, both are responsible for that.
Sharing is caring. :greetings-wavingyellow:
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

It most certainly did not change my perspective about cheaters but in a way, made me realize that infidelity is a trigger point for me. I used to be indifferent to those (whom I know and even in general) who have cheated on their partners. But when I read that part I was absolutely furious and I did not wish to continue reading further. However, I did read because I wanted to see some consequence. After reading the book, I’ve realized that infidelity really triggers me and this is something I’m extremely intolerant about.
Spencer Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencer-maina.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Spencer Maina »

Yeah. I used to think people would cheat because they are tired of their spauses, but I just realized someone can cheat because he's missing some needs in his current relationship which he prefers looking for them outside.
Bennete+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennete.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Bennete+ »

Yes. I don't support cheating but I related to the character doing what they aren't supposed to (one that makes you happy especially) even though they know it's wrong. That is the hardest feeling to fight. I love that the author lets him face the consequences rather than go to their aid.
Bennete+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennete.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Bennete+ »

Tabuya Dube wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 13:48 I understand how the author got to that point but still at so many points he could have made an effort to save his marriage, not by ignoring the issues but by getting help through counseling and the like.
But in the moment, you sometimes don't see it. That was one of the things that made the story so real-life.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

No it didn’t. Can a cheater change? Yes but that still doesn’t justify breaking your partner’s trust like that.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Karina Nowak wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 20:37 I honestly feel that either the protagonist or his wife could have had an affair. They both were at the end of their rope and I was just waiting to see who would let go first.

But by the time it happened, I thought I would be mad and annoyed, but I just felt so sorry for him. He was so unhappy with his life, living in a relationship with a partner he couldn't communicate with and wasn't even sure loved him anymore, and stifled by his responsibility and what he thought others expected of him.

In other words, never in my life did I think I would feel sorry for a cheater, and I did. I really did. The author really made you feel what the protagonist was feeling and showed the progression of his overwhelming happiness at the beginning of his relationship to how it slowly fell apart.

So although we aren't saying that cheating is okay, it isn't. I came away with an understanding that a person can't be in their right frame of mind to cheat. They are most likely desperate and hurting and so off-balanced emotionally that they submit to something that can hurt others and themselves just to feel good about themselves and their life again for a moment.

What are your thoughts? Did this book give you any insight into why a person might cheat? Did you feel sorry for the protagonist at all? Or, like him, did you think it was all his fault and he got what he deserved?
Yes it did! Sometimes people cheat when they don't mean to and because of some distress in their lives. That's what happened to our protagonist. His wife was killing his self esteem. Sometimes those who are cheated on contribute to creating the crack in the relationship. I am not saying all of them.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

Personally, I dont see any reason why cheating should be justified. If you aren't happy in your relationship or marriage, you can easily divorce and freely go for what you want. Period.
deeade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deeade.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by deeade »

Man mission definitely changed my perspective on cheating. I still think cheating is terrible, of course, but now my mindset that every cheater simply jumps into the act has now been corrected. Man mission has made me see that certain patterns of behavior from a partner move a person to cheat. In this case, it was lack of communication. If only he had spoken to Rachel or vice versa, I strongly feel their marriage would have been saved but the both of them operated and reacted mostly on assumptions of what and how the other was feeling.
Drmol
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drmol.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Drmol »

No, there is no justification for cheating, he could have tried harder, communication is key in most relationships or he could just left the marriage.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I feel sorry for him, but there is no justification for cheating in my mind. You can always leave a relationship if you're not happy. Cheating is dishonest and it disgust me.
Joy Abogu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-abogu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Joy Abogu »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 14:50 It most certainly did not change my perspective about cheaters but in a way, made me realize that infidelity is a trigger point for me. I used to be indifferent to those (whom I know and even in general) who have cheated on their partners. But when I read that part I was absolutely furious and I did not wish to continue reading further. However, I did read because I wanted to see some consequence. After reading the book, I’ve realized that infidelity really triggers me and this is something I’m extremely intolerant about.
This was exactly how I felt too. Cheating is definitely a deal-breaker for me.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

There is no Justification for cheating on your significant other. The main character should have told Rachel how he felt. But I felt sympathised with him because I became really annoyed at Rachel's behaviour after her marriage.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

:tiphat:
DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:41 Yes. It's not okay to justify cheating but when people are unhappy in marriage it eventually happens. When there's somebody else gives you happiness and peace you lack in your marriage or relationship, you automatically lean towards them. And this is the case here.
I totally agree with you.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”