What's In A Name?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

What's In A Name?

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Hello, all! I have recently finished the book and am excited. After mulling the story over in my head... I... well...

I don't think the main protagonist has a name? Or does he? Did I miss something? Just trying to make sure I'm not crazy. I know my memory isn't stellar, but I don't think I missed such an important thing. I also don't think there was any physical description of him (besides the weight observations and eventual graying hair).

And if you agree that there is no name, what do you think the larger purpose of this is, if any? I think maybe he's supposed to be a vague shell that any type of man can insert his mind and experiences into. I also think that's why he identified with so many men around the world, even though they were strangers.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Tobewankenobe
Currently Reading: Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Tobewankenobe »

I think that's a good point. Also, if a character has a name then we'll make assumptions about that character. For instance, you can pretty well picture a Heather or a Chad right off the bat. I name a character Baldomir and what do you think? I think you're right. I don't recall a name, either.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

The main protagonist is also the author, the story is a real one. However, I think you have a solid point from a self-reflection point of view.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I noticed that too. My interpretation is that the author used the narrator as a medium to channel his ideas, so anything beyond that, even a name, would have been a distraction.
Ciao :)
Massimo
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

DorcasToo wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 01:10 The main protagonist is also the author, the story is a real one. However, I think you have a solid point from a self-reflection point of view.
I also assumed the book was autobiographical but in his author interview Uliel says it isn't.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

In my opinion, having an unnamed character as the narrator prevents readers from making an unconscious or conscious assumption about him from the beginning, and allows judgement to be formed along the way. It also reinforces themes of un/discovered identity.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

mary-annef wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 03:05
DorcasToo wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 01:10 The main protagonist is also the author, the story is a real one. However, I think you have a solid point from a self-reflection point of view.
I also assumed the book was autobiographical but in his author interview Uliel says it isn't.
Wow that slipped by me but I will have to go back and check this. Thanks for the information.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Funny thing is that I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't notice the main character doesn't have a name until I had to write the review lol.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I get your point. I experienced a similar issue regarding the protagonist name, but later after reading the author's bio that has been included in the book, I concluded the protagonist is the author.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I have to say that not knowing the narrator's name bothered me a little bit, even though I guess it wasn't necessary. I notice he didn't bother to name his children either.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

When I first read the book, I always thought the protagonist's name was blank intentionally because they're supposed to be a blank slate like most role playing games I've played. But as I read the book more and more, I suddenly came to the assumption that it's the author himself, mostly for his love of traveling. Now does it make this book non-fiction? I'm not sure myself because this book has been labeled as other fiction.

But then again, it depends whether the protagonist's name is blank for a reason or the author just put some of his elements in the main character.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I have read some books in which the protagonist was not named. It does seem a bit strange sometimes to know so much about the narrator without knowing the name. But then, like Shakespear says 'what's in a name?'
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Tobewankenobe wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 00:36 I think that's a good point. Also, if a character has a name then we'll make assumptions about that character. For instance, you can pretty well picture a Heather or a Chad right off the bat. I name a character Baldomir and what do you think? I think you're right. I don't recall a name, either.
That is a wise observation. You are right, names attach themselves to characters and we as readers always expect them to live up to those names.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Leyla Ann wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 16:52 Funny thing is that I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't notice the main character doesn't have a name until I had to write the review lol.
Lol I have the same problem! I was trying to make a reference to him, since I liked how he wasn't afraid to make wayward decisions that the Mission group didn't agree with. I was like OK what do I call him? :? :lol:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

unamilagra wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 00:00 I have to say that not knowing the narrator's name bothered me a little bit, even though I guess it wasn't necessary. I notice he didn't bother to name his children either.
Wow, thank you for mentioning that because I never thought about it. The children don't have names, and yet the wives do. Even if they are only mentioned briefly or here and there. I suppose the plot would have had the same impact if the kids had names.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”