What's In A Name?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Re: What's In A Name?

Post by n3stl3y_ »

A protagonist being nameless gives the reader a blank slate. When names are involved we already start painting the characters in our minds
Anuvamsha S A
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anuvamsha-s-a.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Anuvamsha S A »

I noticed that too. Thanks to my friend one day she asked me what was the name of the protagonist and I was like wait his name is.. And then I realized I'm halfway through the book and I don't even know his name. At first, I was like did I miss something. Later I found the author was actually the narrator so he must be Eytan or I named him the go-with-the-flow guy or Rachels's husband or the one who wore pink bracelet more often.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Sinclairess wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 12:06 Hello, all! I have recently finished the book and am excited. After mulling the story over in my head... I... well...

I don't think the main protagonist has a name? Or does he? Did I miss something? Just trying to make sure I'm not crazy. I know my memory isn't stellar, but I don't think I missed such an important thing. I also don't think there was any physical description of him (besides the weight observations and eventual graying hair).

And if you agree that there is no name, what do you think the larger purpose of this is, if any? I think maybe he's supposed to be a vague shell that any type of man can insert his mind and experiences into. I also think that's why he identified with so many men around the world, even though they were strangers.
I think it's so we are able to put ourselves in his shoes easily. It also enables the writer to tell the story with a lot of freedom.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Anuvamsha S A wrote: 23 May 2022, 10:54 I noticed that too. Thanks to my friend one day she asked me what was the name of the protagonist and I was like wait his name is.. And then I realized I'm halfway through the book and I don't even know his name. At first, I was like did I miss something. Later I found the author was actually the narrator so he must be Eytan or I named him the go-with-the-flow guy or Rachels's husband or the one who wore pink bracelet more often.
Yeah it makes it difficult to identify him or discuss him as a character. That's the downside.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I think that was a brilliant skill employed by the author so that every man reading could fit into the unnamed character. Any man can have fun I think that's the author's point.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

It took me awhile to realize that the protagonist didn't have a name. In thinking now about it, it helped me to empathize more with him, and feel that I was walking in his shoes. It's an interesting technique.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

The main character not being named was a shock to me. I remember looking for the name after the second chapter, and I felt so frustrated when I could not find it when I had to write a review for the book. I believe he was not named because its the quthor
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

The protagonist is also the author.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Funny, I did not notice the fact that the protagonist was not named till I finished the book and was writing my review.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

I guess the author does not want to attach the main character to himself because the reader would most likely thinks it's him. The book looks like a semi/quasi-autobiography. Even though the story looks like his, he probably felt creating a nameless character will make the reader more objective.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

DorcasToo wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 01:10 The main prinspiring to is also the author, the story is a real one. However, I think you have a solid point from a self-reflection point of view.
I think so too.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

It wasn't until I read some of the reviews for the book that I realized that the main character is the author. It's supposed to be semi-autobiographical. It's a questionable choice if you ask me. Didn't sour my reading experience though.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I just assumed the main protagonist was the author himself. But I find your line of thought interesting.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

The unnamed character just gave this book a mysterious lift
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I didn't cone across a name for the protagonist but that's not really important, it was a good read after all

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”