What's In A Name?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: What's In A Name?

Post by Chelsey Coles »

adamgreenrock wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 09:37 When I first read the book, I always thought the protagonist's name was blank intentionally because they're supposed to be a blank slate like most role playing games I've played. But as I read the book more and more, I suddenly came to the assumption that it's the author himself, mostly for his love of traveling. Now does it make this book non-fiction? I'm not sure myself because this book has been labeled as other fiction.

But then again, it depends whether the protagonist's name is blank for a reason or the author just put some of his elements in the main character.
I have a similar thought process. I've played quite a bit of role-playing games myself, and your analogy is spot-on. I have been debating back and forth whether this is non-fiction or not. Just as you said, it's labels as "other fiction" for a reason. I will read Uliel's interview for more insight.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Sinclairess wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 12:12
adamgreenrock wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 09:37 When I first read the book, I always thought the protagonist's name was blank intentionally because they're supposed to be a blank slate like most role playing games I've played. But as I read the book more and more, I suddenly came to the assumption that it's the author himself, mostly for his love of traveling. Now does it make this book non-fiction? I'm not sure myself because this book has been labeled as other fiction.

But then again, it depends whether the protagonist's name is blank for a reason or the author just put some of his elements in the main character.
I have a similar thought process. I've played quite a bit of role-playing games myself, and your analogy is spot-on. I have been debating back and forth whether this is non-fiction or not. Just as you said, it's labels as "other fiction" for a reason. I will read Uliel's interview for more insight.
I completely agree. At first, I thought the character was an 'unknown' that any reader could pretend to be but after reading other reviews I think it was actually based on the author himself.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

You are right, the main protagonist didn't have a name in the story. As I read the book I wondered why it was left out. I finally decided the main protagonist was the author even though the book was fiction. I just used "the main protagonist" in my review because thinking it was the author was just my assumption, so I didn't want to put it in the review! :eusa-think:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

unamilagra wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 00:00 I have to say that not knowing the narrator's name bothered me a little bit, even though I guess it wasn't necessary. I notice he didn't bother to name his children either.
WOW! The fact he didn't name his children either slipped right by me! :doh:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I agree with you, the author impolored this writing technique so, that he could connect to a lot of male readers across the globe. Yet, as I read the story, there was an unmistakable connection to author and the main protagonist. The experiences vividly described in the book, seemed to be coming from his personal account.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I am okay with the narrator's name not being mentioned. I don't think knowing the names of all of the characters would add to the plot of the story.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I liked that he was nameless. I imagined that the story was about 'anyman.' One never knows how deep
lie the still waters.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

As I started reading the book and the protagonist spoke in the first person, I concluded that he was the same as the author. While I read, I searched to find out whether the narrator will expressly disclose his identity but he didn't. The non-disclosure of his name was not a bother to me.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I agree that it allows male readers to insert themselves into the story. Although, I think any story where the unnamed character is so involved in the story and has their own personality should have a name.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I was wondering about that, too! If I remember correctly, I don't think the main character's children had names, either.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I wondered that, but it seems that at the end of the book the author admits that it was him as the character, this is my understanding anyway
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ten10 »

Yes, the main character never had a name in the novel. I believed that he could be the author narrating his real life experience with a bit of some experiences added fictitiosly.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

unamilagra wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 00:00 I have to say that not knowing the narrator's name bothered me a little bit, even though I guess it wasn't necessary. I notice he didn't bother to name his children either.
Good point about the children’s names. I didn’t notice that.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I didn’t mind that the protagonist didn’t have a name, but I found it made taking notes easier if he had one. I was calling him “the guy” anyway, so I just named him Guy in my notes.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Vin Doobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vin-doobs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Vin Doobs »

Fascinating question. Actually, even psychologists claim that your name reveals something about your personality. Even the name we give our pets reveal something about our personality. For example, giving your dog powerful names like "Bullet" or "Fang" means that you are straightforward and has a no-nonsense approach to things. Cuddly names like "Fluffy" could mean you are romantic. It's up to you if you buy this idea.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”