I swear!

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Re: I swear!

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I don't have a problem with characters swearing if it is in their personality to do so. But when all of the characters do all the time, it can be overdone. I was raised that anyone can make an argument with a cuss word, but it takes someone of intellect who can keep it together and make a point in an argument without saying a single cuss word.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly I found the swearing in the book quite natural, in the sense that it's the language I expect from a group of guys in the situations they lived.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

gayscott wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 01:07 I have to agree that gentlemen do not swear. It does not make them seem stronger or manly. It does, actually, make them obnoxious and rude.
I couldn't agree more! :geek2:
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Maybe it's because I'm a conservative person, but I didn't really like all the swearing. I'm fine with a few instances of profanity, but if it's continuously used, I get uncomfortable with it a lot. In my own humble opinion, they don't have to swear constantly because they're men.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I actually don't think its very common for a group of men to sit and swear or use such profanities as often as they do in the book. Maybe teenagers who are testing their social limits or really tasteless & men with a small.....vocabulary. Most "men" will lace a swear word in here or there, occasionally.. not obsessively.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

While I don't think the swearing was necessary, I also think that it made it more true to life. Swearing isn't necessary in real life either but some people swear a lot more than others. It didn't feel forced and I wasn't really put off by it.
Reagan Reg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reagan-reg.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Reagan Reg »

I never noticed anything awkward with the swearing. Man Missions were a time for the men to loosen up and enjoy themselves. The swearing aided in that purpose.
Komachichuu
Favorite Author: Tove Jansson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-komachichuu.html
Latest Review: Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee
fav_author_id: 12826

Post by Komachichuu »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 09:19 When reading this book, I didn't think anything about the swearing. I guess it depends on how / where you grew up. I have been around mostly men - brothers, cousins, military, etc..and I found these characters to be well-developed and realistic. The emotions and brotherhood among them far out-shadowed their swearing. Could it be they were mostly out with themselves in a different country doing outrageous things?
I agree with that. Then again, the swearing was a bit overdone at times.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Being a gentleman, comes with rules. And one of them is that you don't swear. But I will agree that swearing in the book didn't put me off.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

I had to live several years in Russia and after this I believe I never will be offended by profanity. Russians have whole separate dialect made up from it, using it like every day language, mentioning mother and various sexual act in most sentences. They think using it marks them as cool, so it is not limited to criminal world as it used to be originally. Quite unpleasant experience in truth, but when in Rome...
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

I didn't think that the book will end up with so swearing. To put bible verses and so much sweating in one place must take a lot of skill.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

blessing_bona wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 06:03 I didn't think that the book will end up with so swearing. To put bible verses and so much sweating in one place must take a lot of skill.
:D You know, I did wonder about that. It seemed a little incongruous. But since the characters themselves weren't particularly religious, I'm not sure how much bearing the verses had on the book. It'd be nice to ask the author about that.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

True.
Or, maybe, the bible verses were just a creation of the author and had no bearing on the characters.

May also be the author's way of appealing to religious folks
AnnObiageri
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annobiageri.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by AnnObiageri »

Yes, there were a lot of swearing in the book but it was not really offensive to me at least. I think it added character to the book as a whole, even as it was along side religious uotes and verses
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

KingK123 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 22:24 I didn't see it as super necessary. I mean, it's palatable, but points can be made without swearing every 45 seconds.
Too much of it very unnecessary.
#RecordBreaker

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”