Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Re: Terry

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Howlan wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 08:09
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 21:09 Ok I am through the entire book now and how this character’s death was handled was really weird. It seems like it was just a loose end that was tied up in the easiest way possible.
I do not think that it was tied up at all. I really hope the later books in the series will shed light on this matter.
Unless it’s brought up in terms of emotional turmoil, there almost no way to prove he was involved anymore that he did it since Carly essentially covered up the crime scene. That’s at least where I’m coming from. I suppose since we are never told where her body is that it could come up again.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 19:42
Howlan wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 08:09
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 21:09 Ok I am through the entire book now and how this character’s death was handled was really weird. It seems like it was just a loose end that was tied up in the easiest way possible.
I do not think that it was tied up at all. I really hope the later books in the series will shed light on this matter.
Unless it’s brought up in terms of emotional turmoil, there almost no way to prove he was involved anymore that he did it since Carly essentially covered up the crime scene. That’s at least where I’m coming from. I suppose since we are never told where her body is that it could come up again.
Yes her body may or may not be found. Totally depends on the author. Also, someone may have watched Adam and Terry together that night. They may have not come forward due to Adam's dangerous character but may confront Adam later in the series.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

That whole situation never got resolved. Adam KILLED her and faced no consequences. Even when he tells Carly, her feelings for him don't change and he is forgiven.

I don't care how much I love someone if I found out that they kidnapped someone and they ended up dying by their hand, my feelings would be altered.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Truthfully, I despised Adam from the moment of Terry's death (well, it was weird when he lusted for his mom too, so our start before that wasn't great), and I spent the entire book resenting him for kidnapping her with chloroform, almost raping her, and then ultimately causing her death.

Despite all the character development, I couldn't get passed this, and the fact that Adam was the cause of her losing her life. And it's just like... No big thing for the main characters. Because Adam and Carly have super powers so woohoo it's no biggie and everything's fine and magical.

I'm a survivor of sexual assault. Terry's kidnapping, attempted rape and ultimate death were hugely upsetting to me. I cannot fathom how this classifies as YA fiction. Each time Terry's death was minimized, I had to ward off tears and upset. I didn't give a sh*t about Adam's powers and character progression-- what about justice for Terry?

When I read about characters in books, I try to humanize them. And reading what happened to Terry, and that in the end it basically didn't matter at all, was so horrendously cruel to me. I read the entire rest of the book in resentment.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

That whole thing doesn't make any sense to me. He kidnapped her and then Terry accidentally killed herself. I am curious how will everything pan out later on. But I just don't get it. There is no consistency in characterization. And that makes this story not believable.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 08:38 That whole thing doesn't make any sense to me. He kidnapped her and then Terry accidentally killed herself. I am curious how will everything pan out later on. But I just don't get it. There is no consistency in characterization. And that makes this story not believable.
It doesn't get much better... :good-luck-smiley: :gaah:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 20:32 Truthfully, I despised Adam from the moment of Terry's death (well, it was weird when he lusted for his mom too, so our start before that wasn't great), and I spent the entire book resenting him for kidnapping her with chloroform, almost raping her, and then ultimately causing her death.

Despite all the character development, I couldn't get passed this, and the fact that Adam was the cause of her losing her life. And it's just like... No big thing for the main characters. Because Adam and Carly have super powers so woohoo it's no biggie and everything's fine and magical.

I'm a survivor of sexual assault. Terry's kidnapping, attempted rape and ultimate death were hugely upsetting to me. I cannot fathom how this classifies as YA fiction. Each time Terry's death was minimized, I had to ward off tears and upset. I didn't give a sh*t about Adam's powers and character progression-- what about justice for Terry?

When I read about characters in books, I try to humanize them. And reading what happened to Terry, and that in the end it basically didn't matter at all, was so horrendously cruel to me. I read the entire rest of the book in resentment.

Exactly! Carly like forgives him and covers up the crime for him... "oh it's ok, you didn't know you had superpowers... mistakes happen"

In the end, I almost felt like we were supposed to feel that the Terry thing is something bad that happened TO Adam... and then no regard for Terry...
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 15:40
gilliansisley wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 20:32 Truthfully, I despised Adam from the moment of Terry's death (well, it was weird when he lusted for his mom too, so our start before that wasn't great), and I spent the entire book resenting him for kidnapping her with chloroform, almost raping her, and then ultimately causing her death.

Exactly! Carly like forgives him and covers up the crime for him... "oh it's ok, you didn't know you had superpowers... mistakes happen"

In the end, I almost felt like we were supposed to feel that the Terry thing is something bad that happened TO Adam... and then no regard for Terry...
Exactly! It's like, oh poor Adam, if she had not been so panicked and freaked out then she wouldn't have died, that was her bad and now you have to live with the burden of it...

He should have been ARRESTED and CHARGED with kidnapping, attempted sexual assault and manslaughter. But nah, it's all good, because we're too busy over here making some high school fluffy love happen. Priorities!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

What did I just read?! Wow this book is just really bad. "Terry thing is something bad that happened TO Adam" 100 %b agree with you on this one...Terry is casuality. I just do not understand what is the purpose of it all.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 16:16

What did I just read?! Wow this book is just really bad. "Terry thing is something bad that happened TO Adam" 100 %b agree with you on this one...Terry is casuality. I just do not understand what is the purpose of it all.
You know, you brought up a very interesting aspect of how insulting that whole scene is to someone who has survived sexual assault (and I am very sorry that that happened to you dear) It's essentially saying "it's ok to do that to someone if you have a good reason... like finding out you have superpowers..."
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I really don't even know why did we had that pages with Terry. It didn't bring anything to the plotline or characters besides make me more upset with the whole book. What was the author thinking? This is truly problematic. I am appealed how after he kidnaps her suddenly he just switched personality and he is all" oh don't be upset with this stranger shackled you, calm down" Like she is to blame for her own death. Terry died for nothing! On the other note, sorry for what happened to you.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

You're too sweet, thank you for your kind words.

I entirely agree with how annoying his behaviour was. Adam was basically getting frustrated that she was panicking, and was annoyed that she wouldn't believe he meant no harm after kidapping her and bringing her to his creep sex shack in the middle of the woods!

She dies, and he's like "Oh no! What an unfortunate accident which was not in any way my fault at all, period!"

No clue what the purpose was. Completely ruined the entire book for me.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

Spoilers

I feel Terry deserved better and justice for what happened to her. It was treated fairly casual. Thoughts?
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I absolutely agree that the situation with Terry was treated way too casual. I think they should have at least found her body to give her family closure. Whether the author wanted Adam to face any consequences for what he did or not Terry's situation should have been expanded more instead of just mentioned and then forgotten.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Team Terry!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”