Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Abigail Klinkerman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-klinkerman.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Abigail Klinkerman »

I really enjoyed reading this book because of the strong character development and the original storyline. Definitely a 4/4. The only issue with it I had was the constant writing in the present tense. It distracted me occasionally and sometimes took away from the moment.
_priyamvada_
Favorite Book: the book theif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyamvada.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by _priyamvada_ »

I am currently reading this book and to loving it so far, I hope this turns out to be well
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I enjoyed reading this book. I especially enjoyed the sudden twists in the plot. I was a little let down, however, that the plot didn't go in a particular direction I was thinking of, but it still ended up being a good story. Due to the number of grammatical errors, I could only give it 3 stars.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Adam did something really sensible by not confronting the other guy concerning what he did to his girlfriend and that really got me. It was actually nice. I will rate it 3 stars.
Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Carennkemdiala »

I found this book really interesting. Carly’s character in the story kept me engaged. I also love the way Adam and Carly became a team as it’s easily relatable in our everyday lives. I would rate it 3 out of 4 because it’s seems to based on young life.
Glamour92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Glamour92 »

Overall, this book gets 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a page turner and an intriguing read. I liked the character development of Carly and Adam, I would surely recommend this book to others because it is an interesting read.
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Banette »

I personally hated the book, though it seems like I'm in the minority. The characters didn't feel believable, I found Adam and Carly's relationship to be rushed since we never see it get built up. The action in the back half of the book was just unsatisfying and there weren't any real stakes since it was never clear how much, and in some cases what, a character could do.
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

It is a four star book really loved the relationship between carly and Adam and overall such a great read
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

Banette wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 23:38 I personally hated the book, though it seems like I'm in the minority. The characters didn't feel believable, I found Adam and Carly's relationship to be rushed since we never see it get built up. The action in the back half of the book was just unsatisfying and there weren't any real stakes since it was never clear how much, and in some cases what, a character could do.
I'm happy to see I'm not alone in this :P I also just didn't like the writing style, and the build-up was very slow, while the ending was very rushed indeed.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I enjoyed reading this book and I’ve given a good 4 on 4 rating. I especially liked the character of Adam. The plot is also quite intriguing. This is a wonderful young adult novel.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I loved the book. When I read the first few pages, I started feeling uncomfortable about reading the book. But now I am glad I did because the plot was so unique and the storyline was awesome. I read the whole book in one sitting.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

To be honest, it's not a bad book, I found it to be average at the best. It does have the tendency to keep up that spark about it and even though you don't want to come back more, you do at least feel like knowing that what would happen next. Character development and the relationship between almost all of the characters are the best part of the book. Another good thing has got to be the revelations that keep on happening but its also kinda overwhelming at the same time. But I'd actually recommend this book because it gets good and it's interesting and good, joyful read and at times it raises questions that you actually think hard about.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I love everything about it, beginning from the title itself to Adam’s character development, Carly’s beautifully portrayed character to mutations. I rate this 4 out 4 star.
Jedi_Pants
Currently Reading: The Soulmate Equation
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedi-pants.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jedi_Pants »

Iris Marsh wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 10:00
Banette wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 23:38 I personally hated the book, though it seems like I'm in the minority. The characters didn't feel believable, I found Adam and Carly's relationship to be rushed since we never see it get built up. The action in the back half of the book was just unsatisfying and there weren't any real stakes since it was never clear how much, and in some cases what, a character could do.
I'm happy to see I'm not alone in this :P I also just didn't like the writing style, and the build-up was very slow, while the ending was very rushed indeed.
I triple this sentiment.
Not only was their relationship rushed, but it glorified how some people say it's "not their fault" in emotionally abusive and/or controlling relationships.

His feelings towards his mom were also brushed away as "oh it's the fault of magic" without actually addressing the huge issue of Adam's behavior. Some people may be attracted to their parents, siblings, or other family members. But, like Jo, they do what they can to tamp down those feelings and not give into whatever darkness Adam was up to for the first half of the book. What Adam did was inexcusable and I feel that Leigh-Reign brushed it all aside as "not his fault."

The end is insanely rushed too. I felt like I was reading a superhero movie (that phrasing was done on purpose) with one person using one power, someone else using another, and then BAM they're all done. And Adam is the superman of them all, to where Carly's mother takes him in her confidence. That makes absolutely no sense given 1. he's new to the group, 2. he's still young and new to his powers, and 3. it's just blind trust.

I hated this book and if I could give it 0.5 stars, I would.
Gurjind Kaur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gurjind-kaur.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx
Reading Device: B08N57JJB7

Post by Gurjind Kaur »

I really liked the book. And i particularly liked the character development done by the author. As it is a fiction story, i think the imagination of the author have been a great source of entertainment and the story of carly and adam is indeed heart touching. The bond between carly and dauma is also a great bond expressed by the writer. their close knit relationship is really admirable ❤️

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”