Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Odette Chace »

I thought this book had potential, but it felt like it had been written very quickly and needed several more rounds of editing. I liked the general premise of the book, but the execution was terrible. I won't be recommending it to anyone I know personally, but as the book has many glowing reviews, I'm well aware that other people can and do really enjoy it. I would feel very uncomfortable recommending a book with incest (whether acted on or not) to any of my coworkers, for instance.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

The book was interesting and engaging. I did love the relationship between Adam and Carley. It was sad that Carley had to loose her mother but generally the book was a nice piece.
I would recommend it to teenagers who love literature
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Azokamchi »

This book gets a 4 star rating from me. My favorite characters Adam and Carly pulled it off for me. It was quite engaging watching their relationship grow. Yes I would recommend this book to readers.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

This book is worth exploring especially with the spice of Adam and Carly's relationship and any teen will enjoy reading this book.
Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

I have always heard of Opaque. I never new that it's such a fascinating read. I love the growing of Adam after Carly came into the picture of his life. Adam lived a dark life, with no real friends and inappropriate thoughts towards others. This makes the title of the book appropriate. My thinking is, if it was not of the errors which are easily spotted, this book deserves a rating of 4 stars out of 4.
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

I find this book interesting, it can be recommend to young adults as it reflects much on relationship and some characters most teens and young can learn from.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I love sci-fi and romance novels,so a combination of both was a treat for me. I rated this book a 3 out of 4 stars.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I read the first few chapters of the book, and can comfortably say that it's pretty well written, and Adam's character and his place in Piure and in his family is interesting. Sadly, the whole deal with her mother is a bit too much for me, so I'll have to put it down. But besides that, it shows promise.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I just finished the book. I enjoyed reading it, although I was sure that I would. It had a very interesting storyline, a love story interwoven with science fiction and action. However, I thought it contained parts not really suitable for younger readers so gave it 3 Iut 4 stars rather than 3.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I have yet to read this book, but the reviews for it are pretty good so I might want to take a look at this one. I would love to read the strong female protagonists that some of the reviewers have described.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

I was also disturbed by Adam's thoughts about his mother. However, if you keep reading there is an explanation that will make you feel more at ease!
Lesya77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesya77.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Lesya77 »

I loved this book. I love the fantasy part of the book as this genre is right up my alley. I especially enjoyed the transformation in Adams' personality and his relationship with Carly. The loss of both their Dads and Carly's Mom was a very sad part for me. This book was very well written and this was why I gave it a 4 star rating.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

The best thing about this book is The Relationship between Adam and Carly's . This is related to present day relationship . The characters where explained well . I will rate it 3 out of 4. it’s highly recommendable .
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I haven't read the book, but judging by the comments, I can see that the book is promising and I might like it!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Bookreviwer2020 wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 05:29 I just finished the book. I enjoyed reading it, although I was sure that I would. It had a very interesting storyline, a love story interwoven with science fiction and action. However, I thought it contained parts not really suitable for younger readers so gave it 3 Iut 4 stars rather than 3.
I like this addition of science fiction and fantasy in the book. I hope that aspect is well integrated into the story.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”