Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I've only read the sample so far, but that left me with the impression that this book has some dark themes. Maybe it picks up a bit after that?
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 11:30 I've only read the sample so far, but that left me with the impression that this book has some dark themes. Maybe it picks up a bit after that?
Very dark and left unresolved.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I didn't expect to like the book as much as I did. It is really good. I will defintely read the sequels.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I'm usually a really big YA fan, so I was incredibly disappointed that I found I couldn't get through this book. I just couldn't deal with Adam. His character's venom and anger was just too off-putting for me.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

4 out 4....it deserves that...great book...well developed characters, and I really loved the twists and turns...kept the plot alive.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I find the book different for the fact that I've never read a sci/fi book that highlights psychokinesis. It's a new experience for me. I like how the author tried to make the story sound realistic. He develops the relationship between Adam and his mom to conform with the connection mothers have with their sons in real life. What saddened me is the way things ended with Terry. I wish the author could have incorporated an aspect of justice in this regard. Generally, the story is profound and would interest readers who enjoy books that feature young adult superpowers. Readers who love reading science fiction and fantasy books will also enjoy reading the book. On a scale of 1 to 4, rate the book at 4 stars. It's a unique book with intriguing events.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I find the book different for the fact that I've never read a sci/fi book that highlights psychokinesis. It's a new experience for me. I like how the author tried to make the story sound realistic. He develops the relationship between Adam and his mom to conform with the connection mothers have with their sons in real life. What saddened me is the way things ended with Terry. I wish the author could have incorporated an aspect of justice in this regard. Generally, the story is profound and would interest readers who enjoy books that feature young adult superpowers. Readers who love reading science fiction and fantasy books will also enjoy reading the book. On a scale of 1 to 4, I rate the book at 4 stars. It's a unique book with intriguing events.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

sevencrows wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:47
ciecheesemeister wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 17:03 I'm not done reading it yet. It is well-written but so far I've knocked a star off for the all-too-frequent references to Carly's bum, for the fact that pretty much every character is Hollywood pretty, and for the use of the word "bipolar" as a slur.
"She sighs at his bipolar actions."
It is incredibly insulting to use a person's health conditions in this fashion. "He's so autistic." "She's so bipolar." To do so displays a great deal of insensitivity and a lack of education about neurological and psychological differences.
I have bipolar disorder. The way I behave tends not to vary greatly. When people like the author use "bipolar," what they mean is "mercurial" or "changeable, blowing hot and cold, that sort of thing. A person can behave that way and not have bipolar disorder, and many people with bipolar disorder do not behave that way.
Here is what bipolar disorder is for me. It is a condition that may someday kill me. I fight every day against acting on the suicidal thoughts that are my constant companion and have been for my entire life. To have my fight reduced to an offhand adjective in a young adult novel is a huge insult. I intend to say as much in my review, and I certainly hope that the author will rethink using health conditions as adjectives in the future.

Leigh-Reign, Calix. Opaque: Scion Saga Book 1 (p. 44). Cayelle Publishing: Surge. Kindle Edition.
I noticed the Hollywood pretty and the mentioning of Carly's assets, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I hadn't noticed the use of 'bipolar,' though, but I think your reply shows how harmful the careless use of it as an insult or a descriptor of erratic can be to those affected and the stigma around mental health.
I totally agree with the observations of you both. There is a long way to the time when compassion will be the common currency. My heart hurts when I hear children or teens insulting mates by calling them "you, handicapped". It is a different matter when someone calls himself "autistic", like the author of Of Zots and Xoodles. In such a case it is like a badge of honor, and I tend to think I am a bit so too. Too bad for the way such health conditions were used as deprecatory qualifications in
Opaque
Tigereetiger2010
Currently Reading: A Child Called "It"
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigereetiger2010.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Tigereetiger2010 »

Check out my personal thoughts in my own post in the thread but having read through some of these comments at the original posters thoughts on the ill use of bipolar and the like as descriptive I too feel that they were miss used without regard for those who actually carry those traits. It certainly doesn't begin to help the teenage and young adults from name calling in any capacity. I am truly torn as to if I loved the book or hated it but I can say that I enjoyed the read once past the first chapter but also felt it was a little bland and boring in the larger picture. It wasn't quite the page turner I initially thought it was going to be. I am considering reading the next book in the series just to see if the theme picks up and to finish out the story of Carly and Adam and their small band of genetically altered super humans. I wouldn't recommend this to fellow adults or even college student for that matter, but I would suggest it to the 10-17 age group.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I thought this was a great book. This is not normally the genre that I read, but I thought the characters were well-developed.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I wasn’t a huge fan of the book. With more than 10 errors and quite a few things that bothered me I couldn’t give it more than a 2. I think the concept was interesting but I’ve read better teens-with-powers books. I didn’t like Adam at the beginning and the book didn’t get interesting till about halfway through. I felt like it slowed back down with the info dump of eight new characters and the powers demonstration. The emotions of the characters were a bit all over the place and there wasn’t a good lead in for the next book. I’m glad Adam and Carly got a happy ending but I couldn’t stand the “friends with benefits” vibes that came from each of their friendships with the other teens. I did like the ancestry and the ties within the bloodlines. I’d be interested to see what powers would be present if/when Carly and Adam have a baby.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I am yet to read the book. I do not usually read sci-fi books. But through all the reviews I have read, I feel that I would love to read how Adam’s character is developed. I love books that invest intelligently in character development.
Samantha Shinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-shinn.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samantha Shinn »

Oh my goodness! This book was legit! I rated it a 4 out of 4 for the fact that it had mostly good character plot and very few mistakes! It was such an amazing book to read and I already recommended it to someone!
missrlynnf
Currently Reading: Stone of Tears
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missrlynnf.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by missrlynnf »

I have to disagree with many of the reviews. I'm sure it would be a good story as the summary makes it sound so intriguing; however, I just couldn't get past page 5. The story was so disjointed and choppy making it hard to track and the author kept inserting side comments from the character that seemed to reference something we should know but haven't been told. That makes it really hard to follow what's going on. From an editing standpoint, the writing and sentence structure could use a little more polish.
I stopped reading because I did not enjoy the suggestion of Adam being sexually aroused by his mother. Now, that's my personal issue, I understand that, but it is worth noting for anyone looking to read the story. That, coupled with what appears to be a clear struggle with suicidal thoughts, makes me question this being placed in the YA genre. YA is geared toward readers ages 12-18, and while some may argue the suicidal/mental illness aspect may make it relatable to some in that age group, it seems too heavy a topic/theme for that demographic; at least, not without some sort of disclaimer.
The story was not what I was expecting based on the summary. I'm glad others have enjoyed it, but I personally don't recommend it.
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

I loved this book. I give it a 3 out of 4. It is a smooth read and has great character development. I would definitely recommend this book.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”