Most Interesting character

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Most Interesting character

Post by Howlan »

Who is your most interesting character in this book? Is it Adam or Carly? Or a lesser character has grabbed your interest like me? I am really interested in the character of Vikky or Katreena. She is a borderline-line in between the two enemy sides and I really feel at the end that her story is pretty interesting.
What about you guys ?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I was fascinated with Dauma, Carly's mother. In spite of her husband being captured she kept her focus on what had to be done. Talk about a strong female! I found her character very interesting.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Vikki was indeed an odd character. Best twist in the story, but it could have been done better. More subtle hints and more development would have created all the interesting love triangle tension the author was after. The Kane/Carly thing was not even needed.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Carly's friend Kane is my most interesting character in this book! I like the idea of Carly having a friend like Kane to share a genuine relationship with, besides Adam! It certainly adds gravity to her character and strengthens my faith in goodness of human nature!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 17:50 I was fascinated with Dauma, Carly's mother. In spite of her husband being captured she kept her focus on what had to be done. Talk about a strong female! I found her character very interesting.
Yes, definitely one of the strongest female characters in the story. Though I would have liked her a bit more open to her daughter, but still a very interesting character!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Disneyland wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 03:49 Carly's friend Kane is my most interesting character in this book! I like the idea of Carly having a friend like Kane to share a genuine relationship with, besides Adam! It certainly adds gravity to her character and strengthens my faith in goodness of human nature!
Yes, I appreciate a supporting friend anytime.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Dauma, Carly's mother, poses as a strong female character. I like authors who build their characterization on characters if all genders. This makes the book wholistic and moves closer to perfect replication of the society.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 17:50 I was fascinated with Dauma, Carly's mother. In spite of her husband being captured she kept her focus on what had to be done. Talk about a strong female! I found her character very interesting.
I'll take strong female characters any day. Dauma was undoubtedly fascinating.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I choose Vikki. Her relationship with Adam arouses suspense because the reader is left anticipating what will Adam do now that Vikki is around his space.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

For me it was definitely Carly. She came across as a strong female protagonist. Someone who could hold herself strong against a strong character like Adam. I have read so many books where the female protagonist appears interesting but loses her charm as the male protagonist makes an appearance. I was so glad that was not the case in this book.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I was most fascinated by Dauma. She seems to have all kinds of powers that the author only scratched the surface of in this book. She was always so perceptive of everything going on and seemed to know more than she let on.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 09:33 Dauma, Carly's mother, poses as a strong female character. I like authors who build their characterization on characters if all genders. This makes the book wholistic and moves closer to perfect replication of the society.
I love when an author does that. I am still reading the book but your view makes me feel happy about reading the book.
Tchrjokes456
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tchrjokes456.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Tchrjokes456 »

I liked Dauma as a strong female, but her character didn't really exhibit any growth. Controversially, Carly was one of the least interesting characters. She seemed to always fit into the perfect teenager mold. Whenever she experienced adversity, she recovered abnormally quickly and was able to almost immediately get back to the task at hand. I found her to be very unbelievable. Vikki is probably the character with the most potential. She will probably show up in later books as part of the main story line. JoAnn is the most sympathetic and interesting. She actually suffers the most because she is completely blindsided. Adam can feel changes in himself, but JoAnn doesn't have a clue about what is happening with Adam or her husband. I am most interested to see where JoAnn ends up at the end of the series. She still has the most to process as a character.
tgoatley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoatley.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by tgoatley »

I am more Interested in JoAnn and seeing where her character ends up. She has gone through so much in this book and I don't feel like it is the end for her. There is more than one strong female role in the book which is awesome. But I did grow to love Adam in this story. He was so intriguing and his powers are amazing.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

For me, the majority of the characters were lacking. I would pick Terry because she was a prop and didn't deserve that fate.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”