Most Interesting character

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Re: Most Interesting character

Post by freshbook »

I think Adam is definitely the most interesting character. In the beginning, he has an uncontrollable lust for his mother. He does not fit in with any of his peers, and he also calls them 'animals'. He hates his father. He is a killer.

All of these things might make the most interesting character alone. However, he discovers he is adopted and has mutant powers throughout the book. On top of that, he has an uncontrollable temper that makes him hard to like as a character.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Dauma was a powerful character. I would have been interested to learn more about her. Also, I want justice for Terry.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 19:53 Dauma was a powerful character. I would have been interested to learn more about her. Also, I want justice for Terry.
Agreed! I'm guessing that we will learn more about Dauma via Carly, but I also have a feeling that Terry's story is done, which is so sad... (I hope I am wrong though)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 21:06 For me it was definitely Carly. She came across as a strong female protagonist. Someone who could hold herself strong against a strong character like Adam. I have read so many books where the female protagonist appears interesting but loses her charm as the male protagonist makes an appearance. I was so glad that was not the case in this book.
You make an excellent point, and I wholeheartedly agree! Carly was one of the lucky female protagonists who did not get overshadowed by her moody male counterpart. They were all independently-driven personalities with their own distinct narratives.
kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Post by kaylahk17 »

I agree with others and say Vikki had me intrigued. I always felt something was off about her and now I want to know how she will choose as she really is between the 2 sides.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 15:22
sursangeet_2000 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 21:06 For me it was definitely Carly. She came across as a strong female protagonist. Someone who could hold herself strong against a strong character like Adam. I have read so many books where the female protagonist appears interesting but loses her charm as the male protagonist makes an appearance. I was so glad that was not the case in this book.
You make an excellent point, and I wholeheartedly agree! Carly was one of the lucky female protagonists who did not get overshadowed by her moody male counterpart. They were all independently-driven personalities with their own distinct narratives.

How did you guys feel about Adam's over protectiveness for Carly? Such as when he felt compelled to put himself in front of her or saying that he would be willing to die for her? I found it quite condescending since she is so much more powerful, in control and experienced with her power than he is.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

kaylahk17 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 08:55 I agree with others and say Vikki had me intrigued. I always felt something was off about her and now I want to know how she will choose as she really is between the 2 sides.
I'm starting to feel the same way about Vicki... she is definitely more than what she seems and I think will actually go through some character development as the series goes on.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 19:53 Dauma was a powerful character. I would have been interested to learn more about her. Also, I want justice for Terry.
I'm guessing we will learn more about Dauma now that she has merged with Carly but I think Terry's part is complete now that Carly has burned down the den...
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

I loved how the author built the character of Dauma, Carly's mother, as a strong woman who can handle even her husband's death and focus on what had to be done. Very well written 👌.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 07:08 I loved how the author built the character of Dauma, Carly's mother, as a strong woman who can handle even her husband's death and focus on what had to be done. Very well written 👌.
I just hope we will learn more about her now that her and Carly are merged.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

My most interesting character is Dauma; her focus is envious, her relationship with her friend and many lessons can we learned from her.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

Wow, I am yet to read it but it sounds there is like a mix of interesting characters in the book.
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I would pick on Adam for his ability to rapidly adjust to changes and Carly for her composed, confident and outstanding demeanor.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Dauma is my favorite character. She is a strong woman - a rock - in Carly's life. I like the fact that she is a 'reader'. It was interesting to watch her assess Adam and accept him.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

My favourite part of Opaque was Joanne. Adam’s mother is a loving, intelligent and resilient woman. She knows there is something wrong with her son and their relationship, but she does her best. It is clear that she encourages Adam to be better, but until Carly comes along there isn’t much she can do. When her life falls apart and after some much-deserved wallowing, she picks herself up and keeps going. Despite every curveball thrown at her, she is intelligent and thoughtful. It is evident she wants what is best for Adam and is willing to change her life to make that happen. One reason I kept reading the story, was to see what would become of Joanne.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”