Favourite Mutant power

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Favourite Mutant power

Post by ninski »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:36
ninski wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 10:16 I would defninately not choose to have pyrokinesis like Carly, I´d be worried that I might start up fires whilst sleeping and dreaming without meaning to :shock:
Flying like Adam, yep, why not? Except I´d be worried about crashing into power lines or something.
As you can see, I´m a worrier.
Telepathy would be awesome. Except if you discover somebody is thinking something bad about you whilst you are snooping around in their brain. Ouch!
This post made me laugh, you are so right! I think you might be the only one to acknowledge that there are negatives to each of the powers if you aren't careful! ( I am a fellow Warrior Worrier :muahaha: )
Telepathy always seemed like a double-edged sword to me... It would be cool, but what if you couldn't control it and you were just always flooded with everyone's thoughts?
That's why I liked Rye's teleporting ability... I don't think I would be able to mess it up too much!! (although... what if I pop up somewhere and give someone a heart attack :o ???)
Yep, special powers are a real can of worms when you think about it. Good job they are only hypothetical.
Or are they?!?
Glad I made you laugh. :lol:
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 14:09 I'm reading all of these superpowers that they had and still want someone to be invisible. That has always been my favourite.
Invisibilty is a pretty cool power... maybe in book 2?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I like that Adam even has a special name for the wind, but teleportation would probably be my chosen mutant power!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 12:08
Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 07:22 I think that being able to pass on your knowledge would be great because future generations would become smarter and hopefully use that knowledge to improve things.
Can you imagine what would happen if the person was evil though? They could possibly just past down their hate...
Oh! I hadnt thought of that! Great point! 😊
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love Adam's wings! I also like that he has shared this ability with Carly and that he takes her on 'flying' dates.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

Post by John Owen »

Adam could form a shield that cocooned himself and any other he wanted to protect, which was virtually impenetrable except by Dauma's abilities. A very handy skill especially in protecting Carly.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:54
Ronel_Steyn wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 14:09 I'm reading all of these superpowers that they had and still want someone to be invisible. That has always been my favourite.
I know Adam can go invisible when he builds up enough speed, but that's not what I meant. Hoping on book 2 then.
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I think that the Wit power was the most impressive but I really like Rye's power as well and I think I would prefer to have her power because I would find it the most useful. Imagine all the traveling you could do!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Amy747 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 20:32
Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 12:08
Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 07:22 I think that being able to pass on your knowledge would be great because future generations would become smarter and hopefully use that knowledge to improve things.
Can you imagine what would happen if the person was evil though? They could possibly just past down their hate...
Oh! I hadnt thought of that! Great point! 😊
I'm really interested if the author intends to explore the probable negative side effects of what Dauma did.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 07:42
Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:54
I know Adam can go invisible when he builds up enough speed, but that's not what I meant. Hoping on book 2 then.
Oh yeah, I meant maybe they will meet more descendants, and maybe one of them will have that power!
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 12:09
Julianna wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 22:05 Teleportation has always fascinated me. The ability to think of a place and be there within seconds... that would give lunch break a new name.
Hmmm I think I am going to lunch in Paris today!
I think the idea of being able to go wherever I want, whenever I want is really the most appealing aspect to me.

Also though, I can apparently take someone with me. That’s a pretty big part of this power too.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 12:38
Julianna wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 22:05 Teleportation has always fascinated me. The ability to think of a place and be there within seconds... that would give lunch break a new name.
I think the idea of being able to go wherever I want, whenever I want is really the most appealing aspect to me.

Also though, I can apparently take someone with me. That’s a pretty big part of this power too.
I agree! Plus, you would probably feel super safe all the time... You can always teleport away from danger! Really, the applications of this power are endless and I can't think of too many negatives to it! Maybe popping up someone and scaring someone?
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:15
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 12:38

I agree! Plus, you would probably feel super safe all the time... You can always teleport away from danger! Really, the applications of this power are endless and I can't think of too many negatives to it! Maybe popping up someone and scaring someone?
I can imagine that if I popped up out of nowhere it would scare someone. I would have been a terror as a kid with that power! Boo!
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I think that being able to fly is very useful, it would be great, but also teleporting would be great to get to wonderful places or escape dangerous situations.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Readerjorge wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 07:30 I think that being able to fly is very useful, it would be great, but also teleporting would be great to get to wonderful places or escape dangerous situations.
Flying would be a lot of fun, also more of a risk of someone seeing you.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”