Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Re: Adam

Post by Salma_asa »

I agree with you. Adam being a villain makes much more sense. This is not a suitable for young people anyway. So, anti-hero storyline would have been better.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The Oxford Free Dictionary defines an "anti-hero" as (1) A flawed hero or (2) a prominent central character who does the right thing, but maybe not for the right reasons. Let's face it, Adam can't be called 'virtuous' by any stretch of the imagination. (Just remember Terry.) However, he does sometimes come off, in my opinion, as a (seriously) flawed hero figure in the story. In what way(s) do you think he embodied this description...or not? Why?
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

The way Adam acted made the book rather misleading and I just did not like the beginning to start with.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I agree with you about Adam. Naturally, he would fit in as the villain although that wasn't quite the case. His character is complex and a tad bit confusing. Perhaps the author found that Adam as the villain would have been too predictable for the story. However, characters need to be likable or relatable for readers to want to read a book. To me, Adam was neither likable nor relatable. He made me feel uncomfortable.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

KristyKhem wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:26 I agree with you about Adam. Naturally, he would fit in as the villain although that wasn't quite the case. His character is complex and a tad bit confusing. Perhaps the author found that Adam as the villain would have been too predictable for the story. However, characters need to be likable or relatable for readers to want to read a book. To me, Adam was neither likable nor relatable. He made me feel uncomfortable.
Yes, definitely a confusing troupe for a YA novel.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Kelyn wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 17:17 The Oxford Free Dictionary defines an "anti-hero" as (1) A flawed hero or (2) a prominent central character who does the right thing, but maybe not for the right reasons. Let's face it, Adam can't be called 'virtuous' by any stretch of the imagination. (Just remember Terry.) However, he does sometimes come off, in my opinion, as a (seriously) flawed hero figure in the story. In what way(s) do you think he embodied this description...or not? Why?
Technically he is the anti hero, but to me Carly and Dauma are more the heroes of this story and Adam becomes secondary to them. Adam didn’t really sacrifice himself like Carly did, nor did he take on the transfer of knowledge and power like Carly did.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:17
Kelyn wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 17:17 The Oxford Free Dictionary defines an "anti-hero" as (1) A flawed hero or (2) a prominent central character who does the right thing, but maybe not for the right reasons. Let's face it, Adam can't be called 'virtuous' by any stretch of the imagination. (Just remember Terry.) However, he does sometimes come off, in my opinion, as a (seriously) flawed hero figure in the story. In what way(s) do you think he embodied this description...or not? Why?
Technically he is the anti hero, but to me Carly and Dauma are more the heroes of this story and Adam becomes secondary to them. Adam didn’t really sacrifice himself like Carly did, nor did he take on the transfer of knowledge and power like Carly did.
Yes, that may be true but the main protagonist of this book is Adam. The entire story revolves around him.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

He may make a half decent anti-hero but a better villain. He just seems abusive and he kills a girl...that's the first impression.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I never liked Adam, so I could absolutely believe he's the villain. It would only take a little bit to push him over that edge. I think he's better suited to being a villain than a hero. He's got way more experience with dark thoughts than not at this point. And I think it would be good to have his love for Carly revealed for what it is: unhealthy. She's stronger than he is, and he treats her like she's glass. But I don't have any hope that these issues will be fixed. It aims to fit that YA mold, so I don't think we'll see anything original here.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I don't like Adam. i didn't like him from the start. His behaviour is psychopathic. Meeting Carly changes him, but that kind of behaviour and thinking doesn't just go away. I felt the author really phoned it in with the serum in his mother's veins being the reason he was in love with her. It was like the author just waved it away. I don't believe that not being around other people who are genetically mutated like him would cause that kind of psychosis and that suddenly meeting people like him would magically make it go away. The author had the opportunity to deal with some real mental illness and then just waved it away.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'm still not convinced Adam is not the villain. :) Seriously speaking, Adam's oscillation between light and darkness could have been handled better so that his behavioral changes wouldn't feel awkward at times.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

writestuff wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:20 He may make a half decent anti-hero but a better villain. He just seems abusive and he kills a girl...that's the first impression.
It would have been much better if he was the villain, especially after Carly cops feelings for him!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 13:47 I don't like Adam. i didn't like him from the start. His behaviour is psychopathic. Meeting Carly changes him, but that kind of behaviour and thinking doesn't just go away. I felt the author really phoned it in with the serum in his mother's veins being the reason he was in love with her. It was like the author just waved it away. I don't believe that not being around other people who are genetically mutated like him would cause that kind of psychosis and that suddenly meeting people like him would magically make it go away. The author had the opportunity to deal with some real mental illness and then just waved it away.
I agree, years of psycopathic behavoir don't just away because you find out about a serum!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:11 I'm still not convinced Adam is not the villain. :) Seriously speaking, Adam's oscillation between light and darkness could have been handled better so that his behavioral changes wouldn't feel awkward at times.
I think that is the only thing that could save this story! It would be such a bummer if the author didn't take the opportunity to play with that oscillation you pointed out!
char8026
Currently Reading: Dark Fae
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-char8026.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by char8026 »

I haven't made it all the way through the book yet, but I am torn with Adam. His character seems to be quite dark, more so than a regular teenager. I am not sure where his relationship with Carly is going, but he seems to be a bit overprotective and controlling. I am anxious to keep reading and find out more of him and if he does change.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”