Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Re: Adam

Post by DragonLight877 »

I liked Adam as a character. And I did like the amount of character development he had. He totally could have been an anti-hero, and that also would have been cool, but I like how it turned out this way too. Lets just wait and see how the *family spoiler* turns out though!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I thought his first actions were very disturbing. He causes the death of a girl he stalks and kidnaps, but oh hey, she fell on the knife herself, so all's well, now he's the good guy. This aspect of the book is my biggest complaint. It's glorified and easily forgiven. It gives the whole book a sour, sickening feel.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1907
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I definitely liked anti-hero Adam's pair with noble-hearted Carly! They matched each other perfectly well in my framework of thinking! I also appreciate the character development of Adam in the story! The dark side of his nature was positively influenced by Dauma, Carly's mother, which seemed quite natural to me!
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 07:57 :techie-studyingbrown: j
Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
I definitely got an anti-hero sense from Adam as well. The beginning of the book was also much more mature than the rest of the book. I feel it was quite misleading!
Yes, definitely and the author was quite happy to add icing to the cake by making Adam kidnap Terry.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Disneyland wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 03:42 I definitely liked anti-hero Adam's pair with noble-hearted Carly! They matched each other perfectly well in my framework of thinking! I also appreciate the character development of Adam in the story! The dark side of his nature was positively influenced by Dauma, Carly's mother, which seemed quite natural to me!
Yes, it was a great conversion. from the beginning when there were little shining lights in Adam to a sparkling galaxy of lights is quite the transformation.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:12 I thought his first actions were very disturbing. He causes the death of a girl he stalks and kidnaps, but oh hey, she fell on the knife herself, so all's well, now he's the good guy. This aspect of the book is my biggest complaint. It's glorified and easily forgiven. It gives the whole book a sour, sickening feel.
Yes, that's true I was also shocked when Carly came to know about such events and kept turning a blind eye to it.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:29 I liked Adam as a character. And I did like the amount of character development he had. He totally could have been an anti-hero, and that also would have been cool, but I like how it turned out this way too. Lets just wait and see how the *family spoiler* turns out though!
Yeah, his character was quite conventional. It was a break from the stereotypical heroes we are generally used and that was cool.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 10:44 I agree. I ended up not being able to get through the beginning because Adam was too much for me. He was too negative and angry and I couldn't decide what it was he was angry about.
Yes, his narcissistic personality was definitely a put off.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
I loved Adam in the beginning of this book! He was so conflicted and tormented. I couldn't wait to read more about him and his redemption, but yeah...then he met a girl and it turned into a typical young adult book. I wanted to see more of him struggling with himself.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Letora wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 05:14
I loved Adam in the beginning of this book! He was so conflicted and tormented. I couldn't wait to read more about him and his redemption, but yeah...then he met a girl and it turned into a typical young adult book. I wanted to see more of him struggling with himself.
Yes, you can really feel for Adam at the beginning when he is not in control of is emotions. He knows it is wrong and feels guilty over it.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Yes, books about the antagonist are not as popular as they deserve to be. We do all have our imperfections, and if the author takes enough care to not glorify it, then I think that Adam being the villian would have been worth it.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

From the impression I have of Adam, I see him as a character that needs love and care. Carly may have realised this and that explains why she tolerated him.
Besides, Adam's teenage age presents him as a mere child who needs love and care, as he keeps trying to re-discover himself.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

The beginning of the book was so offputting, I haven't made it very far. His disturbing thoughts about his mother and resentment towards his father because of those thoughts made it hard for me to keep reading. It seems I wasn't supposed to like him as a character, though I guess that was so he could be redeemed or improved as the story went on.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

Howlan wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 04:43
DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:29 I liked Adam as a character. And I did like the amount of character development he had. He totally could have been an anti-hero, and that also would have been cool, but I like how it turned out this way too. Lets just wait and see how the *family spoiler* turns out though!
Yeah, his character was quite conventional. It was a break from the stereotypical heroes we are generally used and that was cool.
I really liked the way he was able to get all that darkness off his shoulders. Really all he needed was Dauma to tell him he was ok. I think a lot of people his age are afraid that they are monsters, and even with what Adam was feeling, it turned out ok.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

DragonLight877 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:51
Howlan wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 04:43
I really liked the way he was able to get all that darkness off his shoulders. Really all he needed was Dauma to tell him he was ok. I think a lot of people his age are afraid that they are monsters, and even with what Adam was feeling, it turned out ok.
Darkness, dark thoughts, ok. But this character, from the beginning, acted on that darkness. It just doesn't compute for me. As much as those that have violated life yearn for redemption, the bill always comes due. Yes, the book is a fantasy, but what bothers me is that it is geared towards young and impressionable minds. Is it a thought you want to lodge in a young person's mind that they can violate and murder another person and it will all be ok if someone tells them they are a good person?
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”