Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Re: Adam

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I am about a quarter of the way through the book where it seems that Adam is breaking his Oedipal feelings with Jo. I find the character to be super creepy and definitely close to not redeemable. His feelings toward Carly are close to ownership, imo. But as he changed his feelings towards Jo, maybe he will change more. However, he seems like a creepy psychopath now.
Crazycutie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazycutie.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Crazycutie »

I agree he was very dark. I only got through the first 3 chapters because it was so dark I actually felt sick reading it and it made me feel his anger. Which i guess says good things for the book if it can make a person feel that way, but it was not the kind of emotions i need in my life.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 09:25 From the impression I have of Adam, I see him as a character that needs love and care. Carly may have realised this and that explains why she tolerated him.
Besides, Adam's teenage age presents him as a mere child who needs love and care, as he keeps trying to re-discover himself.
You make a really good point about Carly. I thought the same - that she sees Adam for what he is and what he needs. You also make a good point about Adam's age, immaturity, and attempts to re-discover himself. Though I didn't like his character, especially in the beginning, I think there is still more to him than meets the eye.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 14:22
DragonLight877 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:51
Howlan wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 04:43

Yeah, his character was quite conventional. It was a break from the stereotypical heroes we are generally used and that was cool.
I really liked the way he was able to get all that darkness off his shoulders. Really all he needed was Dauma to tell him he was ok. I think a lot of people his age are afraid that they are monsters, and even with what Adam was feeling, it turned out ok.
Darkness, dark thoughts, ok. But this character, from the beginning, acted on that darkness. It just doesn't compute for me. As much as those that have violated life yearn for redemption, the bill always comes due. Yes, the book is a fantasy, but what bothers me is that it is geared towards young and impressionable minds. Is it a thought you want to lodge in a young person's mind that they can violate and murder another person and it will all be ok if someone tells them they are a good person?
Oh no I had forgotten about that. He definitely should have seen some sort of punishment or something for that. I do believe if some honestly chooses to be better, no one should tell them they don't deserve to be better. But no, I had forgotten he had actually done some terrible things, and should be reprimanded for those.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

It would be a truly unique story to have the main character as the villain all the way through. Realistically that was what kept me reading in the beginning because I certainly did not like Adam. Then the story line changes to a more "normal" sci/fi fantasy and I was back in my comfort zone. It would have been interesting to keep Adam as a negative character.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

vermontelf wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 08:05 It would be a truly unique story to have the main character as the villain all the way through. Realistically that was what kept me reading in the beginning because I certainly did not like Adam. Then the story line changes to a more "normal" sci/fi fantasy and I was back in my comfort zone. It would have been interesting to keep Adam as a negative character.
Yes, It would have been really interesting!!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I would think it is a unique angle which the author executed perfectly. This is revealed in the fact that you got the impression you got which was not according to the story, the reality. So I would give a 4/4 to the author on that one.
Hi_low
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hi-low.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Hi_low »

Adam thinks everyone around him is faking there personality and hiding who they really are and he despises everyone for it. Ironically this hatred of conformity leads him to try and blend in as well.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
Being a young person, there is room for improvement and growth for the character. Maybe in the sequel (if there will be any), a softer side of him will be revealed.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
The way you are putting it, the author seems to have missed the intention of increasing Adam's value as a positive character by opposing his "good behavior" at the end of the book to the villain aspect in the beginning. I can understand the author's favoring the positive aspects, as making a hero out of a villain could be setting a bad example to the very young and impressionable.
redrockwolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by redrockwolf »

I like the fact that his possibility of being the story's villain changed. It went a different route than expected. I love the twist of the one with the darkness becoming one of the heroes.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Rayasaurus wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 12:57 I really liked his character development for the most part. I did feel like it could have been made more realistic (by making it more slow-going instead of as fast as it was), but I generally do like sort-of redemption arcs. The one thing I was not super fond of was Carly's acceptance of his past behavior without even really talking to him about it. That seemed strange to me because it felt like she was purposefully just "helping" him and that was the basis for their romantic relationship. It's not a trope I'm fond of.
I thought the developments seemed a bit quick as well. He was pretty angry and not ready to forgive but as soon as he saw Carly, he was okay again. There was a lot of talk about healing but I didn't get the sense that his past behaviors were fully addressed. He did mention to his mom that he was going to counseling (with Carly's mom), but in real life, I would have been concerned about Carly remaining in the relationship because Adam was so unstable.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

SirLaddie wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 12:12 I was not fond of the main character, Adam. In fact, I was so turned off by his psychotic personality I almost put the book down. I understand the author's desire to portray him as a psychopath but it was too overly psychotic and didn't need to be that severe. It was a major turn off for me, especially it being young-adult fiction.
I had a really hard time with Adam's character in the beginning too. I probably would not have read the book if it had not been book of the month because he did seem very dark for a YA book.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

You don't often see villains as main characters in YA books, so it would be interesting to see how the author would handle that. However, I really believe that writing a redemption arc for him would develop his character more.
Samantha Shinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-shinn.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samantha Shinn »

KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:17 I think there is the possibility of Adam being an anti hero in the next installment. He is still just a seventeen year old kid, so he could still go either way. If anything happens to Carly or JoAnna, he could go dark. Without Carly as a guiding light, he could easily leave many Terrys in his wake. Adam as an anti hero would make a great story.
I agree; it definitely would have been interesting. I though a couple of times, the author could have gone the other way with it. For example, when he found out he was adopted. He got extremely upset and could have turned to evil. Also, when Carly almost died in the end, he could have done the same. I'm intrigued because the way Dauma is, it makes it seem that both sides are anti-heroes and wants death.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”