Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Adam

Post by Howlan »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 13:47
SirLaddie wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 12:12 I was not fond of the main character, Adam. In fact, I was so turned off by his psychotic personality I almost put the book down. I understand the author's desire to portray him as a psychopath but it was too overly psychotic and didn't need to be that severe. It was a major turn off for me, especially it being young-adult fiction.
I had a really hard time with Adam's character in the beginning too. I probably would not have read the book if it had not been book of the month because he did seem very dark for a YA book.
Yes, his character was very dark and narcissistic in the beginning but gradually humbled up.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 15:35
Kanda_theGreat wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 09:25 From the impression I have of Adam, I see him as a character that needs love and care. Carly may have realised this and that explains why she tolerated him.
Besides, Adam's teenage age presents him as a mere child who needs love and care, as he keeps trying to re-discover himself.
You make a really good point about Carly. I thought the same - that she sees Adam for what he is and what he needs. You also make a good point about Adam's age, immaturity, and attempts to re-discover himself. Though I didn't like his character, especially in the beginning, I think there is still more to him than meets the eye.
Yes, it is really fulfilling to see him mature up in the story. Leaving behind his short-tempered self behind he evolves nicely.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I think Adam should have been held accountable for the death of the cashier at the grocery store. It doesn't seem right that he got away it with no consequences.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Twylla wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 16:56 I think Adam should have been held accountable for the death of the cashier at the grocery store. It doesn't seem right that he got away it with no consequences.
Yes, definitely. I think that is a plot-line that should come up in the next installment in the series, because it is too small to be ignored.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 11:13
Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
Being a young person, there is room for improvement and growth for the character. Maybe in the sequel (if there will be any), a softer side of him will be revealed.
Yes, I think the softer sides of him were starting to come out at the end. So I will not be suprised if we will see a much changes Adam in the next installment in the series.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

aacodreanu wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 12:17
Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
The way you are putting it, the author seems to have missed the intention of increasing Adam's value as a positive character by opposing his "good behavior" at the end of the book to the villain aspect in the beginning. I can understand the author's favoring the positive aspects, as making a hero out of a villain could be setting a bad example to the very young and impressionable.
Yes, I get your point. But thinking it in another way, it would also teach them that they can always become a good person in their life. Whatever they may have done in the past, it will have consequenses, but all is definitely not lost for them.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Howlan wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 06:43
SirLaddie wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 12:12 I was not fond of the main character, Adam. In fact, I was so turned off by his psychotic personality I almost put the book down. I understand the author's desire to portray him as a psychopath but it was too overly psychotic and didn't need to be that severe. It was a major turn off for me, especially it being young-adult fiction.
I had a really hard time with Adam's character in the beginning too. I probably would not have read the book if it had not been book of the month because he did seem very dark for a YA book.
Yes, his character was very dark and narcissistic in the beginning but gradually humbled up.
Yes, I definitely liked that his character improved. I'm still not a huge fan of the "girlfriend who fixes the boyfriend" relationship. Mostly because it's not realistic, and can be dangerous to allow a young audience to believe that they have the power to change the dangerous characteristics in the person they care about. But it did seem like Adam started making decisions to be a better person, and his choices started changing the diamonds from dark to light inside him.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I think Adam as the villain would have been a lot better and make more sense. It doesn't seem probable for him to go from kidnapping a chick and accidentally killing her (which he faces NO consequences from - in fact, the author seems to think that once the reader finds out about his family's history, we are supposed to forgive him? justify it?) to him changing his ways in the short time frame provided.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 09:28
Howlan wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 06:43

Yes, I definitely liked that his character improved. I'm still not a huge fan of the "girlfriend who fixes the boyfriend" relationship. Mostly because it's not realistic, and can be dangerous to allow a young audience to believe that they have the power to change the dangerous characteristics in the person they care about. But it did seem like Adam started making decisions to be a better person, and his choices started changing the diamonds from dark to light inside him.
Yes, I do not think Carly fixed him in that way. I think it was more that with the arrival of Carly, Adam felt attracted to her as he thought he is not a monster with mother complex but more normal than he used to think. I think that bought serious change in his character.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:52 I think Adam as the villain would have been a lot better and make more sense. It doesn't seem probable for him to go from kidnapping a chick and accidentally killing her (which he faces NO consequences from - in fact, the author seems to think that once the reader finds out about his family's history, we are supposed to forgive him? justify it?) to him changing his ways in the short time frame provided.
Totally true. Adam's character was well developed.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:10
Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:52 I think Adam as the villain would have been a lot better and make more sense. It doesn't seem probable for him to go from kidnapping a chick and accidentally killing her (which he faces NO consequences from - in fact, the author seems to think that once the reader finds out about his family's history, we are supposed to forgive him? justify it?) to him changing his ways in the short time frame provided.
Hm, I don't agree with him being a well developed... The idea that someone can change a person exhibiting dangerous tendencies at all, let alone in the short time frame, doesn't seem realistic to me. I think it's also dangerous to promote that this is possible.

I think Adam would have been a better character in a more adult book, especially if the author could lean into the grittiness/darkness in the first part of the book.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

At the beginning we only know about Adam's actions and feelings through his own point of view, and I wondered how much of it was his own fantasy life. In many ways he seemed just like a classic self-centered teen. It took a good while for the plot and characters to really develop.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Juliet+1 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:58 At the beginning we only know about Adam's actions and feelings through his own point of view, and I wondered how much of it was his own fantasy life. In many ways he seemed just like a classic self-centered teen. It took a good while for the plot and characters to really develop.
Yes, his character was definitely narcissistic at the start. That died down slowly as the story progressed.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I just started this book and I had no idea that it will go like this. I certainly never read YA like this. I am very uncomfortable with this incestuous feeling that Adam has towards his mother. It is really weird to read. But now I am at that part where he kidnaps that girl so I am guessing he is the villain of this book. I will let you know about your questions? But one thing for sure I don't see him as a character in which development I would be interested or cared. The bar is low it would take a miracle and really amazing story arc to make it believable.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:50
Howlan wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 13:10
Hm, I don't agree with him being a well developed... The idea that someone can change a person exhibiting dangerous tendencies at all, let alone in the short time frame, doesn't seem realistic to me. I think it's also dangerous to promote that this is possible.

I think Adam would have been a better character in a more adult book, especially if the author could lean into the grittiness/darkness in the first part of the book.
I do not think I would any adult book having the same story as this one.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”